Reporting to Social Security Administration Travel Over 30 Days

beg3yrs

Just starting to collect Social Security and I just learned there's a requirement to report being out of the country for over 30 days. It seems the purpose is to arrange for payments to be sent elsewhere. But, if it's just a long cruise, say less than five months and all my banking will remain in the USA, is this really required? Will there be repercussions if I don't report this?

Asking here because I want to hear actual experiences with this rather than wait hours on the phone to get an official set in stone response from a bored government call center employee.

I don't have actual experience, but my husband (who gets retirement benefits) think it only applies if your SS is mailed to you. He is on direct deposit. But I looked up the instruction for SS-retirement (not SS-disability or SSI) and they state:

"Let us know if you plan to go outside the United States for a trip that lasts 30 days or more. Tell us the name of the country or countries you plan to visit and the date you expect to leave the United States. We’ll send you special report submission instructions and tell you how to arrange for your benefits while you’re away. Be sure to let us know when you return to the United States."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with SargassoPirate.  Direct Deposit takes away the non-cashing of a mailed paper check.  Sounds like these instructions have not been updated since last century (millennium).

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...