Reykjavik

We are overnighting in Reykjavik- arriving at 2:00pm and leaving 24 hours later. Can anyone recommend a company for a 7 hour tour of the Golden Triangle, the day we arrive?  We are also looking for a tour company for a 3 hour tour of the city the next day. 

I don't recommend booking thru Viator, as it is difficult to speak with a human if plans change, weather is bad, etc.  You can use Viator to see what's available, but then reach out to the companies directly to book.

Troll and Arctic Adventures are frequently mentioned as reputable tour companies.  There is a very good food walking tour that will take you around Reykjavik, though I think it's afternoon based.  It's a small city, and the main areas are easy to see on foot.  I heart Reykjavik is a popular blog that may also give you some ideas.  I believe the writer used to do tours, and may still do them occasionally.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

We are also looking for a tour company for a 3 hour tour of the city the next day. 

Reykjavik is actually quite compact and very easy to explore independently without a guide.

The Golden Circle  tour is offered by every operator in Reykjavik, so you only need read reviews then choose one.

Note that Viator is not a tour company but a middleman so you won't know which company they are booking you with, and if you have queries or a dispute of some description with your actual tour company, you would need to go through Viator.  And their Ts and Cs may well be different from regular tour operators so need to be carefully read so you fully understand them.

Edited by edinburgher

You may have trouble finding a GC tour that starts that late in the day.  Most start earlier and get you back to the city for dinner.

I agree with the above, do NOT book with a third party, there is no benefit and you risk communication issues if a tour is canceled or delayed due to weather, which can happen any time in Iceland.

One option might be a one day car rental, the Golden Circle isn't hard to drive on your own.  There just aren't that many roads there and they are all very well signed, so hard to get lost.  You won't get as much knowledge as you would on a tour, but you'll still see the highlights and at your own pace

Not Iceland, but a quick Viator story:  We recently did a river cruise thru SE Asia with friends.  My friend likes to book thru Viator and convinced me, against my better judgement, to book one of our tours thru it.  We met some folks on the cruise we wanted to include on our tours.  The Viator booking was literally impossible to add participants to, and I could get no one to answer my emails.  The booking I did directly with another company for a different tour was easy peasy.  I messaged the owner thru WhatsApp, got the ok to show up with 2 extra people, and had them bring cash to pay.

Never using Viator again.

• Like 1

Reykjavik Excursions, Reykjavik Sightseeing, and Grayline are the companies I've done tours with.  All of them were good and they all offer the same tours.  I first went to Iceland 25 years ago and our tours were through Reykjavik Excursions.  I think they've been in business more than 50 years. 

There is a hop-on/hop-off bus that does a route around Reykjavik.  The last time I was in Iceland we bought the tickets online right before we got on.  That was recommended to us by our hotel as it was the day before 2022's Culture Night and the city was packed.  Normally you can buy them online or on the bus. 

We used Saga Travels for a Golden Circle tour. The driver was fine; just not a fun sparkly personality. However, as with the other ports in Iceland and Norway; they are not really ready for the "Big Time" and handling tourists. It was difficult to follow their vague instructions on where to meet. We did eventually hook up. They were on the late side for pick up but it really was a good tour.

And I also agree regarding using Viator. They are a BROKER! We have witnessed many cruisers becoming disappointed that their excursions were cancelled with very short notice; like the day before the excursion.

I’m not at all familiar with Iceland! Overwhelming!

What port does Oceania use?

There are two options when looking at where cruise ships dock in Reykjavik. Some smaller vessels can dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Miðbakki, in the Old Harbour. However, most larger cruise ships will dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Skarfabakki.

Is this the correct airport? It’s 30 miles from Reykjavik!

Keflavík Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur [ˈcʰɛplaˌviːkʏrˌflʏɣˌvœtlʏr̥]) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík–Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. The airport is 1.7 nautical miles (3.1 kilometres) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (30 mi) southwest of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, two of which are in use, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (10 sq mi).[citation needed] Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.

How are you getting from the airport port to the hotel? It’s over 30miles

Is Oceania booking your flights?

I’m arriving on July 5. I’m hoping for a nonstop flight from Boston

I just booked Skuggi Hotel for July 5-7! Never been there! Hope I’m in the correct hotel!
Does this look right?

ADDRESS
Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavík

EMAIL
skuggi@keahotels.is
PHONE
+354 590 7000

1 hour ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m not at all familiar with Iceland! Overwhelming!

What port does Oceania use?

There are two options when looking at where cruise ships dock in Reykjavik. Some smaller vessels can dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Miðbakki, in the Old Harbour. However, most larger cruise ships will dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Skarfabakki.

Is this the correct airport? It’s 30 miles from Reykjavik!

Keflavík Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur [ˈcʰɛplaˌviːkʏrˌflʏɣˌvœtlʏr̥]) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík–Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. The airport is 1.7 nautical miles (3.1 kilometres) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (30 mi) southwest of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, two of which are in use, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (10 sq mi).[citation needed] Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.

How are you getting from the airport port to the hotel? It’s over 30miles

Is Oceania booking your flights?

I’m arriving on July 5. I’m hoping for a nonstop flight from Boston

I just booked Skuggi Hotel for July 5-7! Never been there! Hope I’m in the correct hotel!
Does this look right?

ADDRESS
Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavík

EMAIL
skuggi@keahotels.is
PHONE
+354 590 7000

It may be very helpful to join your Roll Call. This is how I have obtained more detailed information regarding our specific cruise.

2 hours ago, nini said:

It may be very helpful to join your Roll Call. This is how I have obtained more detailed information regarding our specific cruise.

I’m on the roll call! Very quiet. Disappointed in it. 

10 minutes ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m on the roll call! Very quiet. Disappointed in it. 

I am sorry about that. Some Roll Calls are crazy active and informational and others; not so much.

I do not know anything about Oceana, but you could try the Oceana forum for Oceana questions. If it was Princess, I could help more.

Edited by nini
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that is the correct airport (Keflavik.) The airport in Reykjavik is for domestic travel only.  There are several options to get from the airport to town.  Flybus and taxi are the most common, though I'm not sure what Oceania will (if anything) provide.  Best to ask them directly.  Flybus brings you to the bus station.  You can choose to take another, smaller bus to a bus stop near your hotel, or take a taxi directly to your hotel.

Any hotel in the 101 code is a good location for down town, FWIW.

If you wish, you can stop at the Blue Lagoon on the way to your hotel.  There is an easy luggage storage option there, and as the BL is close to the airport it's more time efficient to do it that way as opposed to a dedicated trip back out that direction.

This will all be influenced by the current volcanic eruption in that area which has the BL closed.  Presumptively your cruise is not until spring/summer when this will all likely be a non-issue.

Try the TripAdvisor forum for info on Iceland.  Lots of activity there.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2024 at 6:00 AM, Loomy23 said:

Can you just get on a bus without having to book? Reykjavik bus system only allow you to get on by booking only?

Which bus?  The buses from Airport to City (and vice versa) require tickets, but you can buy them at the airport.  Not sure how you buy from city to airport if not online.  We did buy from hotel desk, but that was 10 years ago.  Easy to buy online.