75 min per person wifi

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

No, the Wifi only works for browsing the web.  /s (end sarcasm for those not familiar)

Of course you can view and send emails!!

I don’t know what’s wrong with this NCL forum but it’s ridiculous the sarcasm. The reason I’m asking is because Carnival offers a social media only Wi-Fi so you can only use social media no email no Internet. but thank you for your answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to save wifi minutes:

log into the wifi by going to login.com open up the email app and then let it sync. after it syncs, go to logout.com in the web browser to sign out of the wifi to stop the clock. you can still view emails when you are offline

emails that need to be sent will stay in the outbox/sent folder and then when it syncs again it will send it

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lele100 said:

Carnival offers a social media only Wi-Fi so you can only use social media no email no Internet

NCL used to have that, now it's all or nothing on the paid plans (ok, there's an 'all' plan without streaming and a higher priced one with streaming) and the free plans have always been the 'all' plan without streaming.

Yes, you can check your emails. Use the technique shof said above to save your minutes if you're afraid of running out. The only caveat - you will have a very hard time downloading/uploading photos or any attachments. If you just need to see what is happening back home or at work it will be fine. But if you're trying to email friends/family photos of your adventures, best to wait until you're on land.

Our cell phone is through Tmobile and we have free text/data in any country. If we know we'll be in a certain place for a while sometimes we'll pay for the month long free calling as well depending on what we're doing and who we need to contact. But when we're on land I use my phone data to upload all our photos and deal with more challenging emails. So only using the ship wifi when at sea to peek and then go back to vacation mode.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Our cell phone is through Tmobile and we have free text/data in any country. 

Nice!  I did not know that TMobile did that.  We're on AT&T, so we do the International Day Pass which gives us everything at $10/day.

3 hours ago, lele100 said:

I don’t know what’s wrong with this NCL forum but it’s ridiculous the sarcasm. The reason I’m asking is because Carnival offers a social media only Wi-Fi so you can only use social media no email no Internet. but thank you for your answer.

Trying to wrap that one around my head. Social Media.... FB, Instagram all use the internet to access, so I'm a little confused about you can use social media yet not use email or the "internet"

12 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Trying to wrap that one around my head. Social Media.... FB, Instagram all use the internet to access, so I'm a little confused about you can use social media yet not use email or the "internet"

They probably mean 'whatever internet site you want'...

49 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

From someone that works in IT - there are ways...

58 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

First think I thought about, too.  Do they only allow access to FaceBook?  TikTok?  Instagram?

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

First think I thought about, too.  Do they only allow access to FaceBook?  TikTok?  Instagram?

pretty much yes, snapchat, whatsapp and I believe airline websites and thats it.  There are ways for IT to block websites and aps

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I'm a little confused about you can use social media yet not use email or the "internet"

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Do they only allow access to FaceBook?  TikTok?  Instagram?

yes, that's precisely what they do. they whitelist only social media sites and apps.

they restrict access to anything not known to be a social media site or app.  airlines do a variation of this... they don't want you using the limited bandwidth to stream content so they restrict access to netflix, showtime, max, HBO, hulu, disney, siriusxm, pandora, spotify, etc.

(and that's all well and good, unless you work for one of those companies and try to access your web mail... you're shut out! i speak from personal experience.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

yes, that's precisely what they do. they whitelist only social media sites and apps.

they restrict access to anything not known to be a social media site or app.  airlines do a variation of this... they don't want you using the limited bandwidth to stream content so they restrict access to netflix, showtime, max, HBO, hulu, disney, siriusxm, pandora, spotify, etc.

(and that's all well and good, unless you work for one of those companies and try to access your web mail... you're shut out! i speak from personal experience.)

OK...... that makes sense. I can see their IT department blocking access 

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

OK...... that makes sense. I can see their IT department blocking access 

There's a pretty big gap between saying that there are restrictions on high bandwidth services like Netflix and "they restrict access to anything not known to be a social media site or app".

Outside of video content (which is supposed to be allowed with the premium service) what do you saya they are blocking?

15 hours ago, Laszlo said:

It's no different than ncl allowing some pages without using (being "logged in to internet) the minutes. 

9 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

There's a pretty big gap between saying that there are restrictions on high bandwidth services like Netflix and "they restrict access to anything not known to be a social media site or app".

Outside of video content (which is supposed to be allowed with the premium service) what do you saya they are blocking?

gosh, i don't work for carnival and i can't define their terms or what they mean when they say they provide a plan that only offers access to social media. but they certainly can. and they have.

from their website:

"access the most popular social websites and applications. includes facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, linkedin, facebook messenger, whatsapp, snapchat and the most popular airline sites. does not include access to most other websites or apps.

it's called the "social wifi plan" and it starts at $15.20 per person per day.

40 minutes ago, UKstages said:

gosh, i don't work for carnival and i can't define their terms or what they mean when they say they provide a plan that only offers access to social media. but they certainly can. and they have.

from their website:

"access the most popular social websites and applications. includes facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, linkedin, facebook messenger, whatsapp, snapchat and the most popular airline sites. does not include access to most other websites or apps.

it's called the "social wifi plan" and it starts at $15.20 per person per day.

Oops.

Seems I lost track of the fact that it was a Carnival issue being discussed.

Late at night...NCL board...overlapping stories.

Sorry for the confusion..