Long in advance final payment, and passport expiration

WanderingBrit

I'm thinking someone may have encountered this before and have some suggestions?

We have a cruise booked in 2026 which starts 3 months after a passport expiration date, final payment is due January 2025.

You cannot save advance passenger information in My Viking if the passport expires prior to the cruise, and you cannot complete final payment without first providing advance passenger information.

Other than renewing a passport over a year before it expires, or perhaps making a mistake in the entry of advance passenger information 😉 , can anyone see a solution?

Last year I made a final payment for a cruise for this year. My passport was to expire after I had made final payment but before the start of the cruise. Viking had no problems taking my final payment without my passenger information being complete. I received notifications that I needed to finish completing passenger information up until the time I was able to finally enter in my new passport information. I think any travel company (cruise or air) will take payment without this information being up to date as it is the responsibility of the passenger to make sure they have valid documents prior to travel. Of course you should check with Guest Services to make sure how this applies to you. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Thanks - I must have misunderstood the need for advance information to be complete before making final payment.

It needs to be complete, but that doesn’t mean that your number can’t change.  I had to renew my passport before the WC.  All the info was entered into my record.  When I renewed my passport, I went in and changed the number.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

It needs to be complete, but that doesn’t mean that your number can’t change.  I had to renew my passport before the WC.  All the info was entered into my record.  When I renewed my passport, I went in and changed the number.  

As mentioned, I cannot save the advance passenger information in MyViking if the passport expiration date is before the start of the cruise.

4 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

As mentioned, I cannot save the advance passenger information in MyViking if the passport expiration date is before the start of the cruise.

That's really odd.  We did the same as Mich3554 on a previous cruise and it worked.  They must have changed things.  

Posted (edited)

Call the Viking agent that booked your cruise, info is on your invoice. Or get help from the Chat on MVJ.  If you used a TA, let them handle the questions. In any case, seek an answer from Viking. Maybe email Tellus@vikingcruises.com.  ,the next level of customer service agents.

Edited by CDR2001

As a slight clarification, the actual error message is "passport expiration is before cruise disembarkation".

Purely in the interests of experimentation I added a year to both effective and expiration dates and everything was happy with that 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

I'm thinking someone may have encountered this before and have some suggestions?

We have a cruise booked in 2026 which starts 3 months after a passport expiration date, final payment is due January 2025.

You cannot save advance passenger information in My Viking if the passport expires prior to the cruise, and you cannot complete final payment without first providing advance passenger information.

Other than renewing a passport over a year before it expires, or perhaps making a mistake in the entry of advance passenger information 😉 , can anyone see a solution?

I'd just put in my current passport information, then update it when you get your passport renewed. I'm sure you're not the first person to be in this situation, and in fact, my wife's passport expires in 2026, so shee'll probably renew it in mid-2025.

6 hours ago, CDR2001 said:

Call the Viking agent that booked your cruise, info is on your invoice. Or get help from the Chat on MVJ.  If you used a TA, let them handle the questions. In any case, seek an answer from Viking. Maybe email Tellus@vikingcruises.com.  ,the next level of customer service agents.

"get help from the Chat on MVJ'

Joke?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, longterm said:

I'd just put in my current passport information, then update it when you get your passport renewed. I'm sure you're not the first person to be in this situation, and in fact, my wife's passport expires in 2026, so shee'll probably renew it in mid-2025.

As I keep pointing out, MyVikingJourney will not allow you to enter and save a passport that expires before disembarkation. Entering your current information and later updating it is not an option.

Edited by WanderingBrit
Edit

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Enter the info that is correct at the time, then update it as required. The vital bit is your full name, and then passport info for the flights

Again, this is not possible. Advance passenger information cannot be entered with a passport that expires before disembarkation.

6 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Again, this is not possible. Advance passenger information cannot be entered with a passport that expires before disembarkation.

Must be a recent change, we've done it before. As long as your booking is confirmed don't bother with MVJ until you have the new passport.

Ask Viking for an emailed invoice then transfer the payment