Wi fi package

In November 2022, during a Transatlantic crossing, I was able to receive and make calls using Facebook messenger, while at sea without any problems.. I had the lowest cost Internet package allowing social medias.

3 hours ago, Notalotofinfo said:

Does the regular internet package support wi fi calling?

@FrankieSue's experience was before StarLink... Look for more current experiences. 

I have read that some voice-apps are working with Surf Plan, but the website indicates that audio/video are only available with Premium:

image.thumb.jpeg.dfea9200606307c4921ea6ebaea137b2.jpeg

OTOH, someone posted they had to upgrade to Premium just to get reliable sending of texts...

Yes. As long as your phone and carrier support it. We were on the Nieuw Statendam less than a month ago. I was able to receive spam texts and annoying telemarketer calls from the Retreat cabanas, Club Orange dining, our room. You name it.

It was just like being at home. We have T-Mobile and the latest Google Pixel kit.

Just to add to the information on this. I am currently on Volendam. The internet has been fine, at least for me.

Although my carrier supports wifi calling and texts over wifi, I have been unable to use either -- I was able to last year on Zuiderdam with the same phone / carrier set up. In the past it has been ship specific as to whether or not I can use wifi calling.

41 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Just to add to the information on this. I am currently on Volendam. The internet has been fine, at least for me.

Although my carrier supports wifi calling and texts over wifi, I have been unable to use either -- I was able to last year on Zuiderdam with the same phone / carrier set up. In the past it has been ship specific as to whether or not I can use wifi calling.

This particular setting toggled off for one of our phones. It's under network and internet. I think I had to enable data roaming as well. (My troubleshooting was not super rigorous. I just made Michelle's phone look like mine. I had wifi calling working previously. She left Apple and came over to the dark side last year.)

Screenshot_20240106-204454.thumb.png.01599ac9d26fbd545f1511c4bdd22999.png

I don't know if that will help, but it's worth a shot.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, POA1 said:

This particular setting toggled off for one of our phones. It's under network and internet. I think I had to enable data roaming as well. (My troubleshooting was not super rigorous. I just made Michelle's phone look like mine. I had wifi calling working previously. She left Apple and came over to the dark side last year.)

Nice call - I never turned off WiFi Calling since I use it at home as well, but something did. Now to see if it connects.

To update -- I turned on WiFi Calling and shortly after received two pending text messages and was able to call @POA1

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that the OP asked about the "regular internet package". I wonder whether our experience using the Premium plan are relevant. BTW, we have always been able to use Wi-Fi calling, but we always have the Premium plan.

On 1/7/2024 at 12:50 PM, POA1 said:

On my last two cruises (both on Noordam), this didn't work for me, even though I had the settings as you described.  However, I was able to use Facetime using the WiFi on the standard package.  It was kind of an odd work around.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:52 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

Whenever you turn on airplane mode (on android phones), it automatically turns of wi-fi calling, so you have to remember to turn it back on.

Galaxy S20 FE. Airplane mode does not turn off my wifi-calling, just the wifi. T-mobile.