Non-refundable deposits Carnival vs Princess

Interesting how Carnival and Princess  handle non-refundable deposits, as I have just canceled two cruises.

The first cruise I cancelled was with Carnival (for Oct 24). I paid a $150 non-refundable deposit.  When I called to cancel, the staff member reminded me that my deposit was non-refundable.  I knew this  so I did not argue the point. So,  I was pleasantly surprised when the confirmation email of the cancellation came through - it stated that if I booked a cruise within the next 12months, I would get the $150.00 as a future cruise credit (less $50 admin fee).

Prlncess (March 2025).  $99 non-refundable.  Call made to cancel.  Told non-refundable.  I said yes I am aware. Email confirmation of cancellation stating cancellation fee $99 (the deposit).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Interesting how Carnival and Princess  handle non-refundable deposits, as I have just canceled two cruises.

The first cruise I cancelled was with Carnival (for Oct 24). I paid a $150 non-refundable deposit.  When I called to cancel, the staff member reminded me that my deposit was non-refundable.  I knew this  so I did not argue the point. So,  I was pleasantly surprised when the confirmation email of the cancellation came through - it stated that if I booked a cruise within the next 12months, I would get the $150.00 as a future cruise credit (less $50 admin fee).

Prlncess (March 2025).  $99 non-refundable.  Call made to cancel.  Told non-refundable.  I said yes I am aware. Email confirmation of cancellation stating cancellation fee $99 (the deposit).

What a difference in approach - and both companies come under the same parent company umbrella! One approach leaves you with some warm fuzzies, the other not 🙁

• Like 3

The Princess $99 is a promotional reduced deposit, and they are usually non-refundable. Carnival's reduced deposits are usually only $50pp. When you cancel those, you lose your $50 deposit, as that is their admin fee.

So, if you cancel Carnival and book on another brand you lose $150, but if you cancel Carnival to book Carnival you only lose $50 to just change the date. Nothing warm & fuzzy about either, or many of their competitors that like to lock you into your deposit, even more than 2 years from sailing.

The other thing Carnival does is that for 6 weeks after disembarking one of their cruises, you get a promo that allows you to book with extra OBC on your next cruise. OK, so I looked at a Luminosa cruise. The current everyday VIFP promo comes with $25pp OBC, where as their "Welcome Home" offer comes with $50pp OBC. All wonderful, but the extra $25pp OBC costs an extra $15pp in the fare. Wow, all that effort for $10 OBC each on something they spin as their version of a FCL without the paperwork. FCL's are also flexible deposits, but Carnival's "Welcome Home" is a booking with a non-refundable deposit.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 4:54 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

Didn't know about this. Good to know. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

When you’re on a Princess cruise buy a FCD ( future cruise deposit) and you can cancel more than 181 days out and get your FCD back to use again …..under 181 days normal cancellation fees apply 

would be nice if Carnival have the same option to buy FCD but they don’t have the option to buy any onboard 

Edited by rkmw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1