Shaving alternatives

aisling323

I hate shaving my legs everyday, especially while on vacation! I'm looking for some alternatives to the razor and I'm hoping you guys can give me some help.

Nair - Not sure how long it lasts or how gentle it is on skin. Though I can usually put anything on my skin, I do get a rash from some harsh chemicals, so I'm not sure if this is a good alternative.

Magic Shaving Powder - Heard about it on this board and I can only find it online, but I have the same questions with it as I have about Nair.

Waxing - Ow! I do have my brows and upper lip waxed, and it turns me so red and swollen for a few hours afterward. I'm willing to deal with the pain if the results lasts for a while-at least a week or two. I know how long my brows last, but they don't grow as fast, either. Also, how about the home wax kits, are they any good, or should I stick to the salon?

Laser - I'm pretty sure this is out of the budget. but I'd still love to hear comments from anybody that's tried it.

Any other methods I haven't listed or thought about would be welcomed also.

I bought Magic Powder at Walmart. I tried and did not like it. It gave me burn marks on my inner thighs. Yes, could be that I left it on just a moment too long --- but it is difficult to tell exactly how long it takes from the time you start putting it on one leg till you finish putting it on and judging from there. I threw it out. Wish I had some advice. I have never tried Nair or any chemical remover. Just wanted you to know that the Magic Powder can be pretty harsh on sensitive skin.

I find Nair to last the same amt of time as shaving on me. And since it's so much more a pain than shaving, I don't do it. When I'm taking trips of 7+days, I will wax then bring my razor because towards the end of the trip I'll need it. At least from ankle to shin. Above the knee, not so much. I don't like letting my hair grow to have my legs waxed, so I don't do it often--just the bikini wax most of the time. I've been told (by more than one of my aestheticians over the years) that hair has at least 3 cycles of growth, so unless you wait a REALLY long time, chances are at most you'll rip out 2 cycles with the waxing--which means that 3rd cycle will be popping above the surface pretty soon.

I apolgize to all of the gentlemen who may stumble upon this thread :) Before cruising I do have a wax done on a very sensitive area and have found that the swelling goes down within the day. Take 2 asprin before having any waxing done and make sure that you are not near your menstrual cycle as your skin is mores ensitive at this time. It is fabuolous though. The results last for about 2-3 weeks and are perfect for a cruise vacation. Go to a reputable salon (since you have your brows waxed, this is more than likely a great place to go) that uses clean utensils every time. Other than that, enjoy not having to balance on one leg in those tiny showers!

Take advil, not aspirin. Aspirin is a vaso-dilator--that's why you use it if you have a heart attack--will make you bleed more if you're prone to bleeding. Advil will take care of the swelling and the pain.

There are MANY waxing threads on this board--probably on others as well--and I don't really care who stumbles on the threads. It's good for men to know what women go through to look as good as we do:rolleyes:

Length of time a wax lasts will totally depend on how often you've been waxed in the past and how quickly your hair grows. There's no way a leg wax will last 3 weeks on me, and about 2 wks is the max I can get on a brazilian before I start to get some stubble. That's the downside of waxing from my perspective......I still do it, of course :D Laser hasn't been around long enough and proven on my type of hair. Plus, it really is too expensive for me to consider it right now--different priorities I guess. I knew a woman who did electrolysis on her bikini line--now, she was a fair-skinned blond--I can only imagine how many HOURS I'd be there to have something like that done. At least laser goes by "zone" instead of hair by hair:p

My daughter decided to treat herself this fall and had the laser done on her underarms. At 18, a full time student and part time worker at Starbucks, this was quite an expense for her. $75 per treatment and took her 5 treatments total. Each treatment lasted about 4-6 weeks before hair started growing again and she went back. Have to say that she is thrilled now. We just returned from the Golden Princess and she kept teasing me about not having to shave at all. I would also like to consider having this done, but they did tell her that grey hair does not respond to the laser and it is amazing to me how much grey I have under my arms! Bummer. :(

I just finished my second round of laser on my underarms and it's great. I'm going away in two weeks and won't have to shave at all. I'm moving onto bikini next, although it scares me a little bit and is more expensive. I think it's worth it. No more bumbs or irritation!

In the meantime, it's waxing for the bikini. It really doesn't last that long for me, but maybe that's because I usually only do it before I go on vacation.

I tried Nair as a teenager and got a mild rash.

About 6 months ago, thoroughly sick of shaving, I decided to try it again and had no problem whatsoever, and my legs were much smoother than when I shave (could just be my shaving technique :D ) and it seemed to last longer, too. I am, however, one of those fortunate women with very fine and light hair, so I can get away with shaving less often than many of my friends.

If you don't have a history of overly sensitive skin and you're thinking about trying it, do it now (don't wait until right before the cruise) and only do it on a small patch on your leg. That way if you have a reaction, it's limited. Worst case scenario, you've got a small patch of irritated skin, andyou've spent about 5 bucks on the bottle that you end up throwing away.

Hi, I guess I am just a bit odd:eek: :confused: but I never shave every day.

Even with dark hair, I guess I am quite lucky because the hair on

my legs grows in light.

As to the other ways of ridding hair, I guess I am more old fashioned

that I ever thought. I shave..thats it.

And I shave the morning I leave of a cruise (or the evening before)

and it lasts me all week.

( I don't recall ever even bringing a razor with me).

Again, maybe I am just an odd ball.:rolleyes: But I don't even shave every

day here at home.

Hi, I guess I am just a bit odd:eek: :confused: but I never shave every day.

Even with dark hair, I guess I am quite lucky because the hair on

my legs grows in light.

As to the other ways of ridding hair, I guess I am more old fashioned

that I ever thought. I shave..thats it.

And I shave the morning I leave of a cruise (or the evening before)

and it lasts me all week.

( I don't recall ever even bringing a razor with me).

Again, maybe I am just an odd ball.:rolleyes: But I don't even shave every

day here at home.

Hmm...my grandma's the same way. Shaves like twice a year. If I don't shave every other day, I start to see dark hairs :(

Hmm...my grandma's the same way. Shaves like twice a year. If I don't shave every other day, I start to see dark hairs :(

Now, I shave more than twice a year;) in the summer for sure.

LOL.....in the winter not as often because I am in pants all the time.

But twice a year? I shave more than that:D

Oh I was teasing about the age remark. I just turned 48 so I know I am

old enough to be your Mom, not sure how old you are though. So Gramma

may be a possibility LOL

I get that 5 o'clock shadow thing on my legs. If I shave in the morning and I want to go out later in the evening, I have to shave again. Nair doesn't work well on me, either. I've also tried all the other brands. I haven't tried waxing, and probably will not. I wish I could shave less often, but the stubble drives me crazy and I'm not a very dark haired person to begin with.

I'm an every day shaver too (side note: when DH, who is from Europe, and I first started dating, he said he didn't care about the whole shaving thing. Ten years later, he's definitely come around the the whole American smooth legs and underarms thing:o ). I NEVER would have believed that a the type of razor made that much difference, but I swear by my Venus one. I got it a couple of years ago from DH (did I mention he's not the greatest gift-giver:p but he's a great husband, so that makes up for it!). I never would have spent more than ten-bucks on something that seems like it would do the same thing as a cheaper razor, but it is really awesome. So much so, that I wrote to the company after I got it. It sounds silly, but if it's something you ahve to do every day, you can understand.

Now, I shave more than twice a year;) in the summer for sure.

LOL.....in the winter not as often because I am in pants all the time.

But twice a year? I shave more than that:D

Oh I was teasing about the age remark. I just turned 48 so I know I am

old enough to be your Mom, not sure how old you are though. So Gramma

may be a possibility LOL

Well, I'm 21 so not my grandma...actually she's never really had to shave all that often...just born lucky, I guess.

In the winter, I don't worry about it so much if I'm wearing jeans or pants. But in the summer with shorts, skirts, etc...I shave at least every other day.

I've been epilating for about 2 years, last year before our cruise, I got brave enough to do my underarms too. I never get very close in the nether regions I just do the bikini line down there. I use the Braun Silk Epil. I'll be honest, it took a couple times to get used to pulling out my hair, but now its so easy, hardly hurts at all. I still get the red bumps but they go away in a few hours, lotion helps that. It'll last about 3 weeks. Before a cruise I won't epilate for a month before we leave and then the day before we leave I'll do it. I'm hair free for the whole cruise :) One of the perks of epilating is that when hair does come back in, its much finer so it hardly shows.

Sheri

I wax for the bikini area and it lasts about 2 - 3 weeks, but I also do it regularly. It seems to last longer if you stay with it. I was here because I hate the bumps I always got from shaving, plus I never felt like I could get it smooth enough. Waxing works perfectly for me. A tweezer in between helps also with the mid-wax strays.

As for razors, I swear by Venus. It definitely makes a difference. Never had my legs feels as smoothly after shaving before. I also use Skintamate Gel. I have fine blonde hair on my legs and it's no big deal to shave them 2 or 3 times a week. Takes me two minutes in the shower and I get no bumps, but baby soft skin.

Archived