Live From Nova South America Grand Voyage

JSR

On 1/8/2024 at 5:26 PM, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  Very interested to hear your impressions and details for the S.A.L.T. dining experiences.  South American has many interesting potentials and look forward to learning more as to how Silversea achieves those creative efforts.  

Great start with your excellent sharing. Look forward to following along.  Also, if possible, interested as to how well things are done with the speakers, entertainment offerings, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

There are many speakers. They change every segment. They are also broadcast on the tv the next afternoon or day. 

Thank you everyone who has responded regarding my bathroom question. My next question is 'which cabins have a forward facing bed? Looking specifically at deck 8 between 8069 - 8095. I think I understand how the notches work but ????

2 hours ago, Move said:

Thank you everyone who has responded regarding my bathroom question. My next question is 'which cabins have a forward facing bed? Looking specifically at deck 8 between 8069 - 8095. I think I understand how the notches work but ????

You may need to clarify what you mean by 'forward facing bed' – do you want your head toward the aft end or the stern end?  [I asked this question on another forum and was asked for this clarification...]

3 hours ago, Move said:

Recently disembarked from the Nova ,booked 6010

Feet "aft"

Go figure 😉

1 hour ago, mandymay said:

Recently disembarked from the Nova ,booked 6010

Feet "aft"

Go figure 😉 

Thank you - weird as the deck plan shows the 'door notch' at the top which would suggest that the feet are facing the front.  Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter. It will be a nice surprise either way, 

• Like 1

Normal practice was head forward as ships are invariably trimmed either even keel or by the stern. If the latter then your head is above your feet. On occasion I have sailed when the ship was 'down by the head' ... ie trimmed with a deeper forward draft than aft ...and sleeping was strange🙃

On EVERY other cruise ship I have been on have successfully followed the "notch" principle !

"Feet forward"is a great way to cruise, however I am particularly anal 🙂

Was particularly seasick on Nova ( last year was on a number of trips including Silver Cloud Antartica) with no problems.)

I love a bath too, so finding both on Nova, quite difficult ......

1/17/24 Dinner at SALT Lab. This is an 11 course tasting menu curated to match where the ship is sailing. It is an extra charge. Unfortunately, the menu will not change until the ship reaches Alaska else we would have gone back again. 
Really enjoyed the presentation and the varied tastes. Most were interpretations on a local concept from the Americas. Chef Roberto was excellent at explaining and fun. Presentation and tastes were wonderful. Did not do the wine as we brought Dom Perignon with us courtesy of Amex. The wine served was the same as one would find around the ship. 

The staff IMG_5450.thumb.jpeg.7ec62cc4322291be4bbaa88ad20130a1.jpegIMG_5453.thumb.jpeg.229e5626386016294bb1848d09d5f2f5.jpegIMG_5458.thumb.jpeg.4be06e335ce0cd5eb3eaed862e978bf1.jpegpresented us a cake which we couldn’t eat so we had it sent to the room. Came back to balloons on the bed. 

• Like 6

IMG_5476.thumb.jpeg.8f136ef4ea1d3b4e03f5b60736589cad.jpegIMG_5466.thumb.jpeg.7d04925525f92b4e6d3052b62b5389c5.jpegIMG_5469.thumb.jpeg.89be37e5781a8a108127ec5ae4f469a0.jpeg1/18/24 we wondered around Arica, Chili on our own. Went to the church designed by Eiffel. Very interesting to see a church made of metal. Good beer. Had dinner with 2 other couples at LA Terazza. I don’t eat pasta so it is not my favorite dining area. Nick does really enjoy the homemade pasta as did the others. My soup was tasty and my Halibut soso. 

We are at sea for two days. Lots of lectures etc however, as usual I am hanging out about to go do my 30-40 minutes on the track. Nick is enjoying the dance classes on sea days. We may even go to a show tonight. 

Edited by JSR
  • Like 6

I am back. Sorry not to post often. We are enjoying ourselves a lot. Sea days seem to just melt us into total relaxation. We are currently in the Chilean Fjords, it is overcast and foggy giving everything a mystical hazy feel. 

Observations on long cruises, as I mentioned before this is the longest cruise we have ever taken. We are now on day 24/71. The one thing I really miss is an option other than room service for an early simple dinner. Yes, I like the early bird special and want to eat at 5 or 6 sometimes and I want it quick and simple. Like a grilled piece of fish and some veggies and I do not want to eat in my room. Not an option. Only food available between 3 and 7 is pizza, limited room service menu, or tea sandwiches until 6 at Arts Cafe. I have talked to other Grand Voyagers and they like us, end up just ordering room service for a going out to dinner break. Since the NFL championships are tonight we will likely do this. For those that sports matter (like me) they have broadcast all the NFL playoff games in real time on the tv in our rooms. (Luckily with the time difference they have not conflicted with being in port), I assume they will do something public for the Super Bowl.

We have also found reservations, except for Silver Note, are easy to come by. I will let you know if this continues or not. The next two segments are waitlisted so the ship maybe busier then it is now. 

Entertainment- we went to two more shows. Both were a hot mess though enjoyable. One was local dancers and musicians that came on the ship in Valparaiso, they were very good, however, the person operating the lights and projections is clueless and thinks the show is about the lighting and is overwhelmingly distracting from what is being performed. (OK I was a professional lighting designer, but it is not just me that is annoyed by this). The Silversea singers and dancers are off the ship so we have been having guest entertainers. We have not seen any of them, however, the buzz is that they are good. 

Our wonderful cabin attendant left us and has been replaced by an equally good fellow, he is a bit shy though warming up to us. The service on the ship continues to be exceptional. While I am was not totally sold on Silversea the first cruise, I am now. The staff is personable and kind. Most are happy to engage in conversation as well as do their job well.

Pretty rough seas yesterday as we made our way south, now in the Fjords it is calm. Captain warned us that every time we head out to the Pacific around the southern tip of South America it will be rough, while calm while we are in the Fjords. 

We have visited 3 ports since our last post, Coquimbo, Valparaiso, and Puerto Montt. We have taken cooking class, Nick takes his ballroom dancing class, we have eaten too much, and socialized as well as gotten some exercise. 

Ports :

Coquimbo- we took an ok private tour. Our guide was not a great English speaker and the area was not that interesting. I call it forced tourism. The people are kind and they work hard at making their area interesting. We went to the Puclaro Dam, Elqui valley, Vicanu, and lunch at a restaurant that cooks with solar ovens. 

Valparaiso on the other hand was very interesting. The first day we took a wheelchair accessible ship tour and were the only two on the tour. After the first stop in Villa del Mar were the itinerary said we stop for coffee and walk around, however we were only 20 minutes into the tour and the fog had not burned off. We declined and our guide regrouped for a more interesting tour. Great guide, a 30 something, English teacher, Juan. So much fun, got a real great appreciation for the area. Saw the main views, street art, had a wonderful lunch at a restaurant in a fish market (per our request) where no one spoke English. Day 2 we had a private walking tour which is hindsight probably was not the best choice due to the hills but we managed. It was a street art tour with a graffiti artist. Very interesting to learn about street art from the perspective of a street artist. 

Puerto Montt had an excellent guide from Tours by Locals, Claudio. Great command of English took us to an over view of the city of Puerto Montt, then to a local market that he shops at. We were able to purchase some spices, see how large the veggies grew, introduced us to seaweed that looked like raw hide, and then on to Petrohue National Park, Emerald Lake, and then lunch in Puerto Varas before returning us to the tender. 

Edited by JSR
typo
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, JSR said:

I am back. Sorry not to post often. We are enjoying ourselves a lot. Sea days seem to just melt us into total relaxation. We are currently in the Chilean Fjords, it is overcast and foggy giving everything a mystical hazy feel. 

Observations on long cruises, as I mentioned before this is the longest cruise we have ever taken. We are now on day 24/71. The one thing I really miss is an option other than room service for an early simple dinner. Yes, I like the early bird special and want to eat at 5 or 6 sometimes and I want it quick and simple. Like a grilled piece of fish and some veggies and I do not want to eat in my room. Not an option. Only food available between 3 and 7 is pizza, limited room service menu, or tea sandwiches until 6 at Arts Cafe. I have talked to other Grand Voyagers and they like us, end up just ordering room service for a going out to dinner break. Since the NFL championships are tonight we will likely do this. For those that sports matter (like me) they have broadcast all the NFL playoff games in real time on the tv in our rooms. (Luckily with the time difference they have not conflicted with being in port), I assume they will do something public for the Super Bowl.

We have also found reservations, except for Silver Note, are easy to come by. I will let you know if this continues or not. The next two segments are waitlisted so the ship maybe busier then it is now. 

Entertainment- we went to two more shows. Both were a hot mess though enjoyable. One was local dancers and musicians that came on the ship in Valparaiso, they were very good, however, the person operating the lights and projections is clueless and thinks the show is about the lighting and is overwhelmingly distracting from what is being performed. (OK I was a professional lighting designer, but it is not just me that is annoyed by this). The Silversea singers and dancers are off the ship so we have been having guest entertainers. We have not seen any of them, however, the buzz is that they are good. 

Our wonderful cabin attendant left us and has been replaced by an equally good fellow, he is a bit shy though warming up to us. The service on the ship continues to be exceptional. While I am was not totally sold on Silversea the first cruise, I am now. The staff is personable and kind. Most are happy to engage in conversation as well as do their job well.

Pretty rough seas yesterday as we made our way south, now in the Fjords it is calm. Captain warned us that every time we head out to the Pacific around the southern tip of South America it will be rough, while calm while we are in the Fjords. 

We have visited 3 ports since our last post, Coquimbo, Valparaiso, and Puerto Montt. We have taken cooking class, Nick takes his ballroom dancing class, we have eaten too much, and socialized as well as gotten some exercise. 

Ports :

Coquimbo- we took an ok private tour. Our guide was not a great English speaker and the area was not that interesting. I call it forced tourism. The people are kind and they work hard at making their area interesting. We went to the Puclaro Dam, Elqui valley, Vicanu, and lunch at a restaurant that cooks with solar ovens. 

Valparaiso on the other hand was very interesting. The first day we took a wheelchair accessible ship tour and were the only two on the tour. After the first stop in Villa del Mar were the itinerary said we stop for coffee and walk around, however we were only 20 minutes into the tour and the fog had not burned off. We declined and our guide regrouped for a more interesting tour. Great guide, a 30 something, English teacher, Juan. So much fun, got a real great appreciation for the area. Saw the main views, street art, had a wonderful lunch at a restaurant in a fish market (per our request) where no one spoke English. Day 2 we had a private walking tour which is hindsight probably was not the best choice due to the hills but we managed. It was a street art tour with a graffiti artist. Very interesting to learn about street art from the perspective of a street artist. 

Puerto Montt had an excellent guide from Tours by Locals, Claudio. Great command of English took us to an over view of the city of Puerto Montt, then to a local market that he shops at. We were able to purchase some spices, see how large the veggies grew, introduced us to seaweed that looked like raw hide, and then on to Petrohue National Park, Emerald Lake, and then lunch in Puerto Varas before returning us to the tender. 

Welcome back! I missed you. We are packing now as we leave tomorrow for Argentina and joining the ship Feb 5th. I have decided to pack less formal attire and take just 1 suit and have more polos then button down shirts. Will I stick out like a sore thumb?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seaver said:

Welcome back! I missed you. We are packing now as we leave tomorrow for Argentina and joining the ship Feb 5th. I have decided to pack less formal attire and take just 1 suit and have more polos then button down shirts. Will I stick out like a sore thumb?

I for one will be keeping track of how often you wear the same suit on formal optional nights. 😂 You see the whole gambit from tuxes to sport coats. You will be fine. I have worn the same dress several formal nights and no one has called me out. 🤪 Nick has one black suit. Many sports coats but even those are not necessary. Shhh he even wears short sleeve and t shirts with his sports coat. Also the attire seams to adapt to the climate. People are wearing cashmere sweaters right now however, we all plan to stash them in suitcases under the bed when we come around and head north again. 

17 minutes ago, JSR said:

I for one will be keeping track of how often you wear the same suit on formal optional nights. 😂 You see the whole gambit from tuxes to sport coats. You will be fine. I have worn the same dress several formal nights and no one has called me out. 🤪 Nick has one black suit. Many sports coats but even those are not necessary. Shhh he even wears short sleeve and t shirts with his sports coat. Also the attire seams to adapt to the climate. People are wearing cashmere sweaters right now however, we all plan to stash them in suitcases under the bed when we come around and head north again. 

Thanks for the reassurance.

FYI We have have order room service and had it delivered to the pool area.

Chilean Fjords. Silversea does it well. In the observation lounge. Arrived to coffee (and Baileys) being served as well as danish, bagels with cream cheese and lox, and croissants. Lots of extra chairs, and they just passed out mimosas and have switched to sandwiches from breakfast snacks. IMG_5661.thumb.jpeg.402360c59477c2a9fe27bd7470915279.jpegIMG_5664.thumb.jpeg.4e3a8486301679f2e871d637fab6cd72.jpegIMG_5660.thumb.jpeg.e0d18a71d95b832cb2e7dd3354b5ac8c.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks for a great report.  Looks like you had great weather in Emerald Lakes and got to see the Volcanos. So lucky.

Just wondering about the Le Creuset pits in the boxes with windows. Did you get any explanation?

I wholeheartedly agree about early dinner options. On long trips one occasionally needs a quiet early evening with decent food. Yes you could order something in advance.  Anticipating the need and want for an early dinner isn't easy. I believe Seabourn is expanding their room service menu.  Hopefully Silversea will follow.

• Like 2

Beautiful views of the fjords! Glad you're having a nice voyage.

@highplanesdrifters - the Le Creuset pots in the photo were being used in solar ovens, I assume? I think that's a photo from the tour in Coquimbo.

@JSR - Valparaiso is a nice place to visit. But those hills! Glad you got out and about to see all of that great street art - I think I recognized a few of your photos from our tour there in 2017. I have a similar photo of the lady dancing under the grapevines.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

the Le Creuset pots in the photo were being used in solar ovens, I assume? I think that's a photo from the tour in Coquimbo.

Thanks JP.  Well duh, of course.  At first I was thinking it was some type of self serve stew. Leave a few pesos on the side.  Or even something like the little libraries folks set up in boxes in front of their houses.  Perhaps more coffee will help my addled brain. I need some sea days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our Silver Muse cruise last July (Seward to Vancouver) they did have 2 Alaskan Beers Available. I just don't recall the names? Also, prior to the cruise send an email to the ship concierge and see if they can procure some different local beers. Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

@DavisFLSt8 I don’t drink beer however, I’ll ask around. I know my husband has had different local beers in port. In Alaska he also had different ones in port. I’ll ask our fav bartender as he will know. 

• Thanks 1