First Time Cruise with a Group - Help me pick

Apologies in advance for the wordiness...

A group of friends (35-40 age range; no kids) are planning a Caribbean cruise. We're looking at a few options for May on Royal Caribbean. I realize the ultimate choice here is highly subjective, but if there are considerations I'm not thinking of or additional insight to share it would be helpful...

• Orlando - St. Maarten - St. Thomas - CocoCay; 7 nights; Wonder of the Seas

• Pro: very good ship (as far as my research tells me); 7 nights sounds about right

• Con: Orlando a bit less accessible but certainly not a dealbreaker; slightly less preferable ports (from my impression)

• NYC - Bermuda - St. Maarten - San Juan - Labadee; 9 nights; Liberty of the Seas

• Pro: NYC port more accessible for most of the group; includes all the top ports based on general consensus research and frankly, those that I perceive I'd be most interested in
  • Con: older; less-impressive ship (?); nine-night cruise (?)

Note: costs are roughly equal

Group: mix of beachy and non-beach people, but overall definitely like exploring and a variety of things to do on vacation; most not uber-partiers, but still like to live it up occasionally and still know how to have fun...good drinks/good food; some adventure seekers.

I see the decision as newer/better ship with average ports vs. older (less good?) ship with a bit better and more ports overall. Some days I find that I value the ports more and if you had asked me before I did a deep dive into cruise life, that definitely would've been my priority. As I've researched, I find myself drawn in by the Oasis class. This being most of our first cruises, I wonder if we should go with the itinerary that gives us the best impression of the cruise itself. Or as newbies would we even notice the wear and tear on Liberty or whatever it's lacking in amenities? and/or is Wonder more than we bargained for (e.g. kids running around; long lines) to the point we may regret our fascination with the captivating videos.

Then there is the duration consideration--is nine nights just too long for a group of friends on most of their first cruises regardless; my perception before planning was that seven nights was the sweet spot. But folks here may tell me I'll love those two extra days at sea.

Or are we crazy as late 30-somethings with no kids even looking at Royal Caribbean; should we pass and go with Virgin Voyages? Or if there is another itinerary I should look out for, let me know.

I'd like to think I've narrowed it down to all good options (even the VV possibility) which is what makes this difficult, but certainly appreciate any input.

16 minutes ago, DCruisinlife said:

Then there is the duration consideration--is nine nights just too long for a group of friends on most of their first cruises regardless; my perception before planning was that seven nights was the sweet spot. But folks here may tell me I'll love those two extra days at sea.

I would choose the 9-day itinerary. Not too long! RCCL will keep you entertained on the sea days. We sailed Barcelona to Orlando (was supposed to have been Tampa, but there was a storm) on the Rhapsody OTS, a smaller older (by ten years!) ship than the Liberty OTS, five years ago. There was almost always something going on in the Attrium (central multi-story area). 

Also, when I think of San Juan, I think of EXPLORING! As opposed to islands that are primarily beaches and pushy vendors.

Thanks to the pandemic, I have not sailed to the San Juan or any of your ports, but I speak in principles. Seven days is too short!

• Like 2

If most of you have never cruised before, I would not go for the newest, largest ship.  It will be plenty big on the Liberty of the Seas.  Many of the attractions on the Oasis class are aimed at families, children…which you don’t need.  I haven’t sailed Royal but on ships of other lines that are the size of the Liberty, I find a week is not enough to find all the different attractions.  Go for the one that is easiest to get to.  EM

• Like 3

Liberty is a great ship with plenty of things to do. Plus 9 days and it is easier to get to. I think this is an easy choice. We are just back from a 9 day cruise with 10 people and everyone loved it. 2 of the couples were on a cruise for the first time. We are all booked again on April 4th and November 9th. One is 8 days and the other is 12 days.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 10:29 PM, DCruisinlife said:

Or are we crazy as late 30-somethings with no kids even looking at Royal Caribbean

that's what we started with before we had our kid.

Although, back in 2009 we could sail for $258 a week pp, and now it's unreasonably expensive. $2,500 for an inside for a 7-9 day cruise for 2 people? Not even during a school break? Wowza.

Our last cruise with RCI was in 2022 - we loved it, but that last cruise was still reasonably priced. Not anymore....

Random thoughts: 

- Your age bracket will find Royal Caribbean a good fit. 

- You say you're a mix of beachy /non-beachy people.  The Wonder ports definitely lean "beachy", whereas the Liberty ports seem to be more of a mixture.  Specifically, I'd say Bermuda and San Juan offer more non-beachy options.  

- Liberty is older, but she is in no way "old" in the sense of being washed up.  It's a lovely mid-sized ship with plenty to do.  Fewer amenities, yes, but you're wrong to say "less impressive".  Mid-sized ships are our favorites.

- If you choose Liberty, the two specifics I'd miss are the stop at Coco Cay (I prefer it over Labadee) and the lack of Playmakers sports bar.  

- Note that if you choose Liberty you'll have more "at sea days".  How do you feel about that? 

- Are ALL of you new to cruising?  I'd usually recommend a shorter (4-5 day) cruise for first-timers ... just so you'll know whether you're going to enjoy it.  Of course, even if someone in your group turns out not to be a cruiser, he or she will almost certainly enjoy the friend group. 

- I'd definitely lean towards choosing the ship with the more accessible port.  Driving to the port is going to be cheaper than flying, it means you can carry on a 12-pack of sodas, and it removes the possibility of lost luggage.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the random thoughts @Mum2Mercury. I think those ports will end up being the decider here, which was my instinct from the beginning -- San Juan and Bermuda sound great and I think St Maarten would be a nice beach day...seems like those three ports rank quite highly from my searches. Good to know on Coco though.

A lot of thumbs up for Playmakers from you and others as the biggest miss from Oasis. I'll have to keep that in mind if not now, for the future. Final group not set, but it's the first for most, but not all; it'll be the first time as an adult for me, so essentially new. That was my one hesitation with going 9 nights off the bat, but given the variety of ports, it seems worthwhile. And all you veteran cruisers here say nine is great. Anyway, I'm sure we'll enjoy regardless of the pick.

On a side note, you may have quite a few more children on the Orlando cruise. Schools in the South tend to get out about a month earlier than East Coast. Here in our Texas area, this year’s classes will end in the third week of May vs mid-June around NY/NJ. While people travel to cruises from all over, my guess is that the New York cruise will have fewer kids at that time of year. Of course this may not be important to you. 

1 hour ago, Pudgesmom said:

On a side note, you may have quite a few more children on the Orlando cruise. Schools in the South tend to get out about a month earlier than East Coast. Here in our Texas area, this year’s classes will end in the third week of May vs mid-June around NY/NJ. While people travel to cruises from all over, my guess is that the New York cruise will have fewer kids at that time of year. Of course this may not be important to you. 

Good thought. Thanks. 

Ok I’m a woman in her 30s without kids and the only reason I will go on RCI is as a family trip and I didn’t have a say. If you can go on VV I say go for it, it’s a brand dedicated to our demographic. NCL has great value with the FAS program especially for those who like to drink if you’re looking for a more mainstream line. 8 nights was my shortest cruise and I couldn’t imagine wanting less. The big difference is the shorter the cruise usually means a party ship but trust me we still had lots of fun on the 15 night cruise I took.

good luck picking the cruise. As long as you all go in with a good attitude you will surely have lots of fun.