Advice for our first cruise on Seabourn Ovation please?

As newcomers to the cruise fraternity, could I start by pleading for your forgiveness as I am sure this topic has been covered many times over!

I am hoping that some of the seasoned Seabourn veterans can share their experience and solve a couple of riddles for me on the dress code (now I hear you all sighing with boredom 😂).

Okay, here we go.    
As a Brit, I am accustomed to working to dress codes as we are renowned for our fear of offending anyone but the code, as written is not so easy to interpret from our side of the pond. The formal evenings are straightforward enough, as is day time attire but my questions relate to the majority of the evenings that are not formal. My questions are:

1) Gentlemen’s slacks. To be frank, the term went out of the window a generation or two ago in the UK so I would like to seek your advice? Would some people also wear smart chinos or is it strictly what we call “trousers” over here in the UK?

2) Collared dress shirt. Should I interpret this as a long sleeved shirt only or do some people wear short sleeves as well? Do people wear more casual collared shirts such as Hawaiian shirts or are these “too loud”?

Once again, I plead forgiveness for opening such a mundane topic but naturally, the answer to these questions will help me to rationalise my packing and help us settle quickly into what we hope will be the first of many cruises. I have trawled the forums looking for an answer without any direct solution so I thought I would reach out to you guys who have first hand experience. Hopefully you can find it in your heart to advise!

Many thanks 

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Sean. A fellow 'Yorkie' here (Beverley). My husband generally wears either smart chinos or ordinary trousers (M&S type) with a collared shirt, either long or short sleeved for the restaurant. He does take a jacket because sometimes it's chilly in there. He doesn't wear a tie on formal nights but the jacket is definitely needed then, if dining in the restaurant but not for other dining venues. Having said that, we have seen men in polo shirts in the restaurant - totally acceptable. The only thing not to wear is shorts in there. If we dine in the Colonnade he usually takes a sweater in case it gets cool and we are eating outside. Hope this helps!

Can I draw your attention the the referral thread at the top of this board where you can get $250 onboard credit if you are a first time Seabourn cruiser?

Margaret

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Yorkieaboard

Fellow Brit here!  Having been on SB cruises for many years, my husband now doesn't take a DJ, but does take a couple of jackets.

Non formal nights, he wears a long sleeve shirt, sometimes a jazzy pattern, and chinos or slacks (trousers)

When dining other than the Main Restaurant he sometimes wears a smart polo shirt or a short sleeve shirt and sometimes a Hawaiian shirt or similar with chinos, especially outside on a hot weather cruise.  Over the years Seabourn has got a lot more casual but we still like dressing up in the evening!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkieaboard said:

Hi Margaret 

Beverley, a gorgeous part of Gods County! We are currently exiled over the border and living in Bakewell 😂

Thanks for the feedback and of course the tip!

Sean

Bakewell is pretty beautiful too!

Indeed it is. We moved here in advance of retirement and it’s a lovely place to spend time. I’ve took a Quick Look at the referral thread and my first observation is that we have already paid our balance so perhaps that ship has sailed (excuse the pun)?

1 hour ago, Yorkieaboard said:

Indeed it is. We moved here in advance of retirement and it’s a lovely place to spend time. I’ve took a Quick Look at the referral thread and my first observation is that we have already paid our balance so perhaps that ship has sailed (excuse the pun)?

When do you sail? It takes about two weeks to apply it. I will put my email address on that thread and we can try!

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2024 at 7:06 AM, margbem said:

Can I draw your attention the the referral thread at the top of this board where you can get $250 onboard credit if you are a first time Seabourn cruiser?

For the referral bonus - is this used at booking time, or after ?

We are from the UK and am sure you will enjoy Ovation. We are modern traditionalists and have cruised Seabourn a lot in many parts of the world. You should dress as YOU feel comfortable, so long as you are smart in the evenings, wherever you dine. Following the crowd is not obligatory.

Dress of the masses will vary slightly on where the cruise is in the world and the nationality of those aboard (I will not expand!)

I will always wear a Dinner Jacket on formal nights if dining in Solis or the Restaurant, part of luxury cruising is occasional style. On other nights I will have a long-sleeved shirt (the AC can be fierce), sometimes a jacket, and sometimes a tie. Who needs a "loud" shirt - I do not see any "fun" in that unless you are an exhibitionist or on a Disney cruise.

Dining in the Colonnade - short sleeved shirt and smart trousers, at Earth and Ocean - shorts and T-shirt/shirt if weather permits.

For the ladies - whatever they chose would be wonderful!

Dress as YOU see fit and feel comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Yorkieaboard I think the issue for us Brits is that we rarely get business class flights included in our fares and therefore, are limited to 23kg of luggage. We sailed along the coast of Norway last July on Ovation and had to pack for a British summer (😜😜) everything from full waterproofs, fleeces, hats and gloves to shorts and T-shirts so didn't leave much space for a tux or long dress. I took cocktail/summer dresses plus trousers and nice tops and Mr Techno trousers and a variety of short/long sleeved shirts plus a linen blend jacket and that was absolutely fine.

Me in my formal gear 😜😂

IMG_0188.jpeg

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 3

Hi Techno123. 

Looking elegant in the black number 😄. Understood and advice much appreciated!

The issue is indeed with the luggage and I simply refuse on principle to pay as much again for a business class upgrade as I did for the cruise - there is even more of a challenge with space if you are having a few days on the island before the cruise departs. Whilst new to cruising, we are long time visitors to Barbados and it’s interesting to note how the “rules” around dress codes have relaxed over the last ten years whilst still maintaining an air of elegance around people’s dress - it looks as if the luxury cruise marketeers have realised that moods are more relaxed these days and are following the lead of the islands they visit in the Caribbean!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:41 PM, Yorkieaboard said:

Hi Margaret 

Beverley, a gorgeous part of Gods County! We are currently exiled over the border and living in Bakewell 😂

Thanks for the feedback and of course the tip!

Sean

You’ve seen the light and come to Derbyshire.  My better half is a yorkieabroad and yorkieaboard.   Greetings from Chesterfield.  

Edited by galeforce9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 39august said:

This is probably a stupid question, but having only sailed RCI and Celebrity, I have to ask. Is it ever OK for men to wear nice jeans to dinner?

Elegant jeans are quoted as allowed according to the website.

I asked Handre who is now Corporate what Head Office interpret elegant jeans as. He replied "well cut and fitted dark jeans". I suggested that maybe they needed to describe that as some interpret baggy, creased, poor fitting jeans I would wear to my sister's farm as elegant. Actually I don't wear jeans like that anywhere. Sorry to be controversial. I have no issue with true elegant jeans.

Unfortunately, "elegant" is subjective and will always be disputable.  I would suggest that an objective measure of jeans be employed, and what better objective measure is there than price?  In order to gain access to The Restaurant if wearing jeans, you would need to bring a receipt for your jeans that shows them to have cost at least $149.95 USD (tax not included). 

• Haha 6

On 2/21/2024 at 2:28 PM, 39august said:

This is probably a stupid question, but having only sailed RCI and Celebrity, I have to ask. Is it ever OK for men to wear nice jeans to dinner?

Yes! It's fine every night and in every venue, except formal night in the Restaurant.

As to defining what's "elegant," no one is going to police that other than other passengers. Some will always be aghast--no matter how dark, well-fitting, or expensive the duds. Just ignore them! (My personal test for my husband is whether the jeans in question would go with a sport jacket, regardless of whether he's actually wearing a jacket. If so, they're fine.)

• Like 1