Is there an "always available" menu for the Grand Dining Room?

BWR47CT

I"m not sure on Vista, but historically Oceania has had this. I do know there were some changes recently but in the past there was Jacques Roast Chicken, Salmon & some type of beef. Also some vegetarian option. I'm sure someone probably has a current menu. Mike Preisman was on the Vista within the last few months and posted a review on his blog. He always posts all of the menus on it. Just Google his name and cruise reviews and you should find it. 

As best I recall, the roast chicken, steak and salmon mentioned by ORV were shown separately, I think as "always available", on the Nautica menu on our recent cruise. The same dishes appear on the sample Vista menu on O's website but just incorporated into the list of main course dishes

Posted (edited)

Constants (also checked against Vista on Preisman blog):

Appetizers: image.png.37e889ef9b9237c4dbdda8976579de7d.png

Soups: image.png.01fdec699ee6cd238d981c5cf938180c.png

Salads: image.png.2c2e089f1fbfaa68b0ec76b2f49fa2f3.png

Entrees: image.png.521adfaac4f6d1a63ab6c2d3713a1c0e.png

Dessert: Constants are seasonal fresh fruit plate, souffle' of the day (flavor varies), vanilla & chocolate ice cream (other ice creams and sorbet vary in flavor); 4 varying desserts (1 "healthy"); cheese plate (flavors vary)

image.png.b82f68b37661acc6d28f529ac43aee6d.png

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Although I only have limited experience (two cruises with Oceania so far), it seems like the servers will try to downplay the always available options. They will say things like: "These will always be listed for a time you might not see anything else you want."  As in, this is an inferior choice.

So for the first cruise, and most of the second cruise, my husband and I never tried the always available options. But finally one day I did and it was absolutely fabulous.

My husband wasn't as crazy about the sirloin, but the chicken was falling off the bone and extremely tasty.

Give it a try, even if only as an appetizer portion!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

Although I only have limited experience (two cruises with Oceania so far), it seems like the servers will try to downplay the always available options. They will say things like: "These will always be listed for a time you might not see anything else you want."  As in, this is an inferior choice.

So for the first cruise, and most of the second cruise, my husband and I never tried the always available options. But finally one day I did and it was absolutely fabulous.

My husband wasn't as crazy about the sirloin, but the chicken was falling off the bone and extremely tasty.

Give it a try, even if only as an appetizer portion!

Don’t try the salmon option …. in my experience …. always way over cooked, very dry and like leather!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Don’t try the salmon option …. in my experience …. always way over cooked, very dry and like leather!

Different strokes for different folks! I order the always available salmon at least once during each cruise. I order it grilled, medium rare. It is always perfectly cooked to my liking, moist and dark pink in the center. I have never had a problem with this dish. You can also order the salmon poached. However, be prepared that the 3 Jacques always available dishes are not plated with any creativity. Unlike most of the MDR menu options which have a bit of upscale plating, they are presented very simply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

Different strokes for different folks! I order the always available salmon at least once during each cruise. I order it grilled, medium rare. It is always perfectly cooked to my liking, moist and dark pink in the center. I have never had a problem with this dish. You can also order the salmon poached. However, be prepared that the 3 Jacques always available dishes are not plated with any creativity. Unlike most of the MDR menu options which have a bit of upscale plating, they are presented very simply.

I have always assumed the salmon was Atlantic since there is no descriptor. Were you able to ID it?

On 1/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, BWR47CT said:

When we cruised on Regent, there was an "always available" menu section.  Does Oceania (and specifically Vista) have the same?

We generally found Jacques favorites to be O's version of anytime favorites. Also remember that Terrace can do some pretty nice meals. Generally better than main restaurants on a lot of other lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I have always assumed the salmon was Atlantic since there is no descriptor. Were you able to ID it?

It's farm raised Atlantic Salmon. Normally I prefer wild as it's often less "oily" than the farm raised which just feeds them fish  meal.That being said, I love the Jacques favorite Salmon. Always had it M/R with that great sauce on it.It has never been dry as was mentioned, but food is subjective. An example the Rotisserie Chicken was no better than a Costco bird in my impression.For those who feel the anytime favorites have rather boring accompaniments, you can ask for items to come with it.Don't be afraid to speak up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

you can ask for items to come with it.Don't be afraid to speak up.

One of my favorite dishes is seared foie gras. They had a couple of dishes where they were cooked with 'something' and then put in pastry. Someone suggested to me to politely ask if I could have it my fave way. No problem.

foiedinner.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

Maybe that’s where I’ve gone wrong I just have it as it comes. Next time I’ll ask for it to be cooked to my liking. Thank you for pointing this out.

9 hours ago, clo said:

One of my favorite dishes is seared foie gras. They had a couple of dishes where they were cooked with 'something' and then put in pastry. Someone suggested to me to politely ask if I could have it my fave way. No problem.

foiedinner.jpg

We had it on our first OI trip several years back. We were at a large table in Jacques. No one at the table had ever had it before(surprising since a lot of pax cruise the line for the food. We gave small samples to our tablemates.8 orders were delivered almost immediately. Including the portions we had given to our tablemates..We usually have it the same as here. Pate' is nice, but prefer the "real" thing. We usually ask for a little Damson Plum preserves to put on it as well.

Edited by rbtan
additions

6 hours ago, rbtan said:

We had it on our first OI trip several years back. We were at a large table in Jacques. No one at the table had ever had it before(surprising since a lot of pax cruise the line for the food. We gave small samples to our tablemates.8 orders were delivered almost immediately. Including the portions we had given to our tablemates..We usually have it the same as here. Pate' is nice, but prefer the "real" thing. We usually ask for a little Damson Plum preserves to put on it as well.

That photo is one of OUR meals at home. A chef friend suggested grilled peaches, in season, and that is wonderful. I'm with you re 'the real thing.' And here in Seattle we actually have a place that sell whole lobes and other ways frozen.