River Cruising help!

We are schedule on Emerald Dawn on an 18 day Xmas Market cruise. We fly from the states,

have 3 days in Paris then off to 15 days on the boat ending in Budapest. 

I have used a walker in the past, however I will need to utilize a travel collapsible wheel chair. The chair has both a manual and power option so it can also be used as a walker if necessary. I won’t need the chair on the boat I will primarily need it for walking distances. 

We have been advised that on river cruises we may dock next to another ship and have to walk

Up a flight of stairs, across the top deck, then down a flight of stairs. To say I am nervous is an understatement. Emerald also states that it is my and my travel Companions responsibility to take care of my needs. That isn’t an issue I just am concerned about dragging a 50lb chair up/down stairs. I  am also getting conflicting information from a variety of sources as to if staff helps. Emerald has also stated that you can bring the collapsible wheelchair however they say no to scooters. They also have stated that scooters can not be used in the city. 

Has anyone been on a river  cruise and used a wheelchair? Is there a space to store it close to the exit if I ask? Is it ok to use it in town? I need the power wheelchair for the distance in our daily excursions. Also, I have been told that there may not be space on our coach tours for the wheelchair. My chair takes about as much space as a walker so why is it an issue? 

This issue is causing me anxiety as I do not want to inconvenience anyone or cause stress on my travel companion.

if anyone has been on a River cruise and can offer and insight it would be appreciated. 

While I have no firsthand experience, I have definitely seen where river cruising is not that friendly to people in wheelchairs/etc. Specifically for all of the reasons you mentioned in your post.

• Like 1

I would not expect any help from ship's staff and would rely on a member of my party to carry or push my chair if I were not using it.

The underneath (luggage) space on a bus is not always available for use- if they are using other bus types or the agreement  with the driver doesn't include luggage, it isn't available. Carrying a 50 pound chair up a bus's stair seems awkward, at best, let alone trying to store it above one's head. There are also lots of opportunities for stairs to present an unexpected navigation issue that a tour can't accommodate on the fly.