Things to do in Samoa

erniebernie

Hi  we will be stopping at Samoa during our cruise and was wondering if anyone has been there and what was on offer  for excursions or things to do by ourselves? I would like to go to a beach  and maybe snorkling. Thanx

Posted (edited)

@erniebernie the post you created earlier in this board has been moved to the Ports of Call board [link]. Hopefully someone will reply over there.

Currently the Ports of Call board is quite devoid of information for Samoa. I found this article on Samoa shore excursions [link] and this is what is available through Viator [link].

Hope this helps!

Edited by tjunmin

51 minutes ago, erniebernie said:

Thanks tjunmin  that was interesting   now have to narrow down selection to one days worth. We will wait and see what excursions  Cunard comes up with. Thanks again. Allison

Here are a couple of articles I wrote about day trips in Samoa, 

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2017/04/i-travel-not-to-go-anywhere-apia-samoa.html I can thoroughly recommend getting your own taxi and driving up to his house, then the falls and then visiting the Bahai temple on the way back down towards the town,

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2019/03/tonga-malo-e-lelei.html

and also if you wanted to just relax and have a walk and then a relaxing drink at Aggies and perhaps a swim,,

Not sure if you will be in Samoa on a Sunday but recently ships are now not allowed to call there on a Sunday as a new government edict states that it is illegal for them to work that day and not even the providers or docksiders are allowed to service ships.

8 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Here are a couple of articles I wrote about day trips in Samoa, 

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2017/04/i-travel-not-to-go-anywhere-apia-samoa.html I can thoroughly recommend getting your own taxi and driving up to his house, then the falls and then visiting the Bahai temple on the way back down towards the town,

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2019/03/tonga-malo-e-lelei.html

and also if you wanted to just relax and have a walk and then a relaxing drink at Aggies and perhaps a swim,,

Not sure if you will be in Samoa on a Sunday but recently ships are now not allowed to call there on a Sunday as a new government edict states that it is illegal for them to work that day and not even the providers or docksiders are allowed to service ships.

Brilliant idea to visit the house of RLS.

I'm adding a link to a very interesting radio interview I heard recently with a Samoan woman who has written a play about Stevenson's time in Samoa. She even took the play to Edinburgh where it was rapturously received. The link to the interview is about half way down the page which has a short article about the story.

https://www.abc.net.au/pacific/sia-figiel-robert-louis-stevenson-and-the-word-tusitala/102940466

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Brilliant idea to visit the house of RLS.

I'm adding a link to a very interesting radio interview I heard recently with a Samoan woman who has written a play about Stevenson's time in Samoa. She even took the play to Edinburgh where it was rapturously received. The link to the interview is about half way down the page which has a short article about the story.

https://www.abc.net.au/pacific/sia-figiel-robert-louis-stevenson-and-the-word-tusitala/102940466

He did have an interesting life.

if someone wanted to you can also walk up the hill behind the house to his grave....I haven't done the walk but it would be a choice next time Im in Samoa...(as long as it wasn't a Sunday)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:54 PM, erniebernie said:

Hi  we will be stopping at Samoa during our cruise and was wondering if anyone has been there and what was on offer  for excursions or things to do by ourselves? I would like to go to a beach  and maybe snorkling. Thanx

Been there by ship also hotel stay. Robert Louis Stephenson the writer stayed for a short time and also is buried, where he he lived is a museum well worth a visit, better still a climb up to his grave but you have to be pretty fit, I believe it took six Samoan men to carry his coffin to the grave site. Aggie Grey's mentioned in " Tales of the South Pacific "  Hotel for lunch then a walk over to Parliament House. As we live near the ocean we are not really interested in the beach, enjoy! This is the capital Apia, not American Samoa which is Pango  Pango., enjoy!

29 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Been there by ship also hotel stay. Robert Louis Stephenson the writer stayed for a short time and also is buried, where he he lived is a museum well worth a visit, better still a climb up to his grave but you have to be pretty fit, I believe it took six Samoan men to carry his coffin to the grave site. Aggie Grey's mentioned in " Tales of the South Pacific "  Hotel for lunch then a walk over to Parliament House. As we live near the ocean we are not really interested in the beach, enjoy! This is the capital Apia, not American Samoa which is Pango  Pango., enjoy!

I think you mean Pago Pago....

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

Thank you, that is the way it is pronounced spent too long with the incredible Samoans.

less of the Kava I would suggest .. but you are right about RLS, our last 2 visits there were scarpered by

cyclones which unfortunately is a common occurrence in this part of the world at this time of the year.

21 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

less of the Kava I would suggest .. but you are right about RLS, our last 2 visits there were scarpered by

cyclones which unfortunately is a common occurrence in this part of the world at this time of the year.

Agree less of Kava, say hello to wonderful NZ.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, erniebernie said:

Thanks for all the suggestions  one question ...Is Aggie Greys walkable from cruise port? Thanx

yes, easy walk, slthough, short as it is you will be guarranteed to work up a sweat.