Celebration! / Live! / Solo? Jan-14-21-2024 The Tribe Cruise!

3 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Patron repasado with three ice cubes... Apparently we're still paying San Juan taxes, it was $2.24...

PXL_20240118_011203938.jpg

Whoa just the taxes are $2.24? That must be an expensive tequila…or ridiculous taxes. I’m guessing tequila because I don’t remember paying that much for taxes in San Juan.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Whoa just the taxes are $2.24? That must be an expensive tequila…or ridiculous taxes. I’m guessing tequila because I don’t remember paying that much for taxes in San Juan.

I didn't even look at the actual charge, but I assume it was under the Cheers limit of $20... That does seem kinda high though...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I went back into Old San Juan again for the second time today with a different goal... First, to visit it's original dive bar, El Batey, where Hunter S Thompson used to hang out in the late 60's and early 70's... It was on my list and map for earlier, but they don't open till 3:00... There's a cat who lives there, who's famous in his own right...PXL_20240117_192843224.thumb.jpg.f9448718cb01bb70cfea4aeaf8844d53.jpg

PXL_20240117_192847705.thumb.jpg.c791ce1f6fd6f8213383bcaeee990837.jpg

PXL_20240117_192850367.thumb.jpg.85d4cb96b5ff03e15097a9dd84724be0.jpg

PXL_20240117_192855344.jpg

Whatever did San Juan do for a dive bar for the 450 years before Hunter S. Thompson discovered it

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I guess tomorrow is St Thomas, then it's just a slow float back to Miami... Things haven't exactly gone according to plans, but then again they haven't been a total trainwreck like like last cruise on Virgin Voyages... Lots of good food and drinks, as well as lot's of money spent in land in Miami, and today in San Juan. I'm anticipating another fruitful day tomorrow, and hoping to get my toes in the ocean for the first time this calendar year... Other than that, it'll just be more sun and fun on board the Celebration... Still haven't made it to the MDR, and I probably won't... I would like to check out Chinang before it's all over with. I've only had this one drink today on board at the Golden Jubilee, and maybe one more before I'm finished, and I have a whole bottle of nice champagne to drink before it's all over with... Something tells me that I'll at least break even on my Cheers beverage

package, but y'all know I don't care anything about trying to make 15 drinks a day to get my money's worth... It is what it is... Probably less than an hour left in me tonight until bedtime, and more technicolore dreams before enjoying my final day on land before it's all over with on Sunday...

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

This is probably going to finish me off tonight. Let it be known that the Carnival corporation got over on me by 13 drinks today... I made up for it by an incredible day on shore in San Juan today though...

PXL_20240118_014933157.jpg

• Like 34

9 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I guess tomorrow is St Thomas, then it's just a slow float back to Miami... Things haven't exactly gone according to plans, but then again they haven't been a total trainwreck like like last cruise on Virgin Voyages... Lots of good food and drinks, as well as lot's of money spent in land in Miami, and today in San Juan. I'm anticipating another fruitful day tomorrow, and hoping to get my toes in the ocean for the first time this calendar year... Other than that, it'll just be more sun and fun on board the Celebration... Still haven't made it to the MDR, and I probably won't... I would like to check out Chinang before it's all over with. I've only had this one drink today on board at the Golden Jubilee, and maybe one more before I'm finished, and I have a whole bottle of nice champagne to drink before it's all over with... Something tells me that I'll at least break even on my Cheers beverage

package, but y'all know I don't care anything about trying to make 15 drinks a day to get my money's worth... It is what it is... Probably less than an hour left in me tonight until bedtime, and more technicolore dreams before enjoying my final day on land before it's all over with on Sunday...

What hasn’t gone according to plans?

• Like 7

Thank you again for doing this live Sid. Your pictures are always beautiful, and between you and the other live report from this sailing, all I’ve wanted to do today is eat and drink! 

• Like 2

Piggybacking on my commentary from last night: I've decided that this "Live reviewing" on Cruise Critic is fun, but not exactly fruitful for my future... I want to find something else to do with my writing skills besides whatever this is, as it's most certainly just paddling into the current at best.

I want to try and find something bigger and better, and with more freedom to use the words and expressions necessary to convey my story, rather than to having to hold back 70% of what I really need to say... As an artist, being restricted this way just isn't working for me...

I've had a lot of fun here, but my future lies elsewhere... No idea what other adventures await, but it seems I've run my course here in this realm... Of course, I plan on finishing out this "review" or whatever you want to call it, but once this one's done, I'm moving on to hopefully bigger and better things... ... ...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Piggybacking on my commentary from last night: I've decided that this "Live reviewing" on Cruise Critic is fun, but not exactly fruitful for my future... I want to find something else to do with my writing skills besides whatever this is... It's most certainly just paddling into the current at best. I want to try and find something bigger and better, and with more freedom to use the words and expressions necessary to convey my story, rather than to have to hold back 70% of what I really need to say... As an artist, being restricted this way just isn't working for me... I've had a lot of fun here, but my future lies elsewhere... No idea what other adventures await, but it seems I've run my course here in this realm... Of course, I plan on finishing out this "review" or whatever you want to call it, but once this one's done, I'm moving on to hopefully bigger and better things... ... ...

Do it. Cut bait. Sure, we'll all miss the LIVEs, but you say this on every review. Take that leap. Bet on yourself. Go do something else. Aim high. Anyone who really supports you will be happy to see you pursue your dreams. Run wild, baby!

• Like 45

4 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Piggybacking on my commentary from last night: I've decided that this "Live reviewing" on Cruise Critic is fun, but not exactly fruitful for my future... I want to find something else to do with my writing skills besides whatever this is, as it's most certainly just paddling into the current at best.

I want to try and find something bigger and better, and with more freedom to use the words and expressions necessary to convey my story, rather than to have to hold back 70% of what I really need to say... As an artist, being restricted this way just isn't working for me...

I've had a lot of fun here, but my future lies elsewhere... No idea what other adventures await, but it seems I've run my course here in this realm... Of course, I plan on finishing out this "review" or whatever you want to call it, but once this one's done, I'm moving on to hopefully bigger and better things... ... ...

Have enjoyed all your reviews.  Hope you find that bigger and better thing.  This is my only social media so hopefully I’ll be able to find you wherever it is. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I want to try and find something bigger and better, and with more freedom to use the words and expressions necessary to convey my story, rather than to having to hold back 70% of what I really need to say... As an artist, being restricted this way just isn't working for me...

If you ever develop an "uncensored Sid" blog or something, I'll be the first to bookmark it 

Edited by Elsammo46
  • Like 14

Sid, if interested, here's the excursion - it also includes Mountaintop which has beautiful views as well.  Near the end you can opt for 30 minutes shopping in town or go right back to the ship.  I don't know why it only has 3.1 stars.  I thought it was worth more than the price.

Discover St. Thomas & Magen's Bay - STT Shore Excursions | Carnival Cruise Line

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elsammo46 said:

If you ever develop an "uncensored Sid" blog or something, I'll be the first to bookmark it 

It already exists, but I'm not making any money off it either yet...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I don’t know what took or caused the left turn but I wish you all the best. I really hope you do find something bigger and better to do as your writing, love of food, photography and knowledge of Atlanta could probably take you places!

In the meantime, get out and have fun and enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Something to soak up all those drinks from San Juan and beyond.

PXL_20240118_022803929.jpg

"Ahh, pepperoni grease and alcohol.  Nothing to get things moving like this!" thought Sid's tummy.

"Oh, no, not pepperoni grease and alcohol!" thought Sid's stateroom loo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Sid,

That was the most beautiful tour of San Juan that I have ever seen! I have walked around the city on many cruises and have never seen the beauty that you captured in your photos!

Thank you so very much!

If you are really never going to do another LIVE review, at least we have been able to experience this one with you.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 14