Car Service from Tillbury cruise port to hotel in London

2cruizinfools

We are researching car services from Tillbury cruise port to our Westminister hotel in London.  On our river cruise we supplied our desired time and hotel info to the Customer Service Desk and they had a taxi waiting for us, will they do this on Viking Ocean as well?  If not what car services have you used and what time did you schedule? We are a group of 6 and with luggage and the train is not an option for us.

The name I've seen mentioned the most from members I trust the most is Addison Lee. 

As for arrival time, you tell the company what time you want to be at the dock and they will tell you what time they will pick you up.  Plan to arrive at least two and a half hours before sailaway time. But not before 11am (because you want to give the early morning flights a chance to clear check in and get on board).

If you need to include meal times in your planning (diabetics, pill timing, etc.) On embarkation day, buffet is usually open Noonish to 2pmish, Pool Grill  till 3pmish while light sandwiches can be found until dinner in the Living Room bar and complimentary room service 24/7.  I don't know Mamsens hours. 

19 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

As for arrival time, you tell the company what time you want to be at the dock and they will tell you what time they will pick you up.  Plan to arrive at least two and a half hours before sailaway time. But not before 11am (because you want to give the early morning flights a chance to clear check in and get on board).

OP is looking for transportation FROM the ship TO the hotel.

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

OP is looking for transportation FROM the ship TO the hotel.

LOL. Thanks. I guess I should put my glasses on and engage the brain.

Advice for pick-up time: Avoid the rush off the ship. Have a leisurely breakfast (in the Restaurant if is open) and aim for 9-9:30am (depending on what time Viking wants you off the ship by then). You will still have to be out of your cabin at the stated time.  Think of it this way, you can wait in traffic or you can wait in comfort on the ship.

Do let Viking collect as much of your luggage as possible the night before. As I remember the Tilbury terminal, there was lots of walking and a couple of flights of steps. I can't say about elevators because I wasn't paying attention.

• Like 2

2cruizinfools - If you are only overnighting in London, may I suggest you stay at Heathrow?

You and your luggage can then take the Viking bus transfer.  The Hilton Garden Inn on Cessna Road is located across the parking deck, less than 500 feet from Terminal 2.

38 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

2cruizinfools - If you are only overnighting in London, may I suggest you stay at Heathrow?

You and your luggage can then take the Viking bus transfer.  The Hilton Garden Inn on Cessna Road is located across the parking deck, less than 500 feet from Terminal 2.

unfortunately we are staying a few days in London to sitesee

57 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

You and your luggage can then take the Viking bus transfer. 

Unless you have a flight leaving on disembarkation day, you are not eligible for Viking transfers -- not to pick up a car at the airport, not to a hotel at the airport, not even if you are buying the transfer. Folks have tried and been told no.

Yes, there are exceptions but they are for pax for whom the only flights of the day leave before Viking can get them there in time (in others a forced overnight).

We've used Blackberry Cars in London a number of times over the years with good experience.  They can arrange for various sizes of vehicles.  It's what they call a "mini-cab" service, fairly common in London; licensed for pre-arranged trips, but not a regular taxi.  Uber is also pretty effective in London if you have cell data service, but I haven't tried to get a large vehicle with them there.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 9:54 AM, 2cruizinfools said:

We are researching car services from Tillbury cruise port to our Westminister hotel in London.  On our river cruise we supplied our desired time and hotel info to the Customer Service Desk and they had a taxi waiting for us, will they do this on Viking Ocean as well?  If not what car services have you used and what time did you schedule? We are a group of 6 and with luggage and the train is not an option for us.

I book a car with Addison Lee to pick us up at Tilbury. I usually book it for the latest disembarkation time, as they don't have much of a parking lot to wait if you are late.

Fares are very reasonable, but we book a hotel at Tower Hill, to avoid the worst of the London city traffic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Unless you have a flight leaving on disembarkation day, you are not eligible for Viking transfers -- not to pick up a car at the airport, not to a hotel at the airport, not even if you are buying the transfer. Folks have tried and been told no.

Just tell them a fictitious flight towards your eventual home.  Don't say you just want the transfer, or that you are staying in a hotel or anything else.  Pick a flight that gives you a reasonable itinerary to present.

As long as you booked the flight on your own, Viking (or any cruiseline for that matter) has NO way of knowing if you have that flight or not.  They will just drop you off at the appropriate terminal.

I've done this on both ends of Viking cruises, and never had an issue.  They make silly rules, I make ways around them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...