iPhone 13 Issue on Board

I have had the following problem for awhile. No one on a ship or with ATT has been able to help me so far. Any time I am connected to a ship’s WiFi, I can only send and receive text messages from other people who have IPhones. I can’t receive or send text messages to android based phones, regardless if they are on the ship or back home. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, know how to fix it?

Android phones can't send/receive text messages (using the Message App) over Wifi.  However, you CAN use WhatsApp for text, voice, and video calls on wifi.

To test, while at home, go into airplane mode, connect to your home wifi and see if you can send messages.  ETA:  Have all phones on wifi to test.  Just having the iPhone on wifi won't help. 

ETA 2: At least I've had problems with my Android sending/receiving messages when on Wifi only. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

32 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have had the following problem for awhile. No one on a ship or with ATT has been able to help me so far. Any time I am connected to a ship’s WiFi, I can only send and receive text messages from other people who have IPhones. I can’t receive or send text messages to android based phones, regardless if they are on the ship or back home. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, know how to fix it?

Make sure Send to SMS and MMS Messaging are toggled on in iMessage settings. 

Edited by Charles4515

35 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Android phones can't send/receive text messages (using the Message App) over Wifi.  However, you CAN use WhatsApp for text, voice, and video calls on wifi.

To test, while at home, go into airplane mode, connect to your home wifi and see if you can send messages.  ETA:  Have all phones on wifi to test.  Just having the iPhone on wifi won't help. 

ETA 2: At least I've had problems with my Android sending/receiving messages when on Wifi only. 

OP is on a ship with an iPhone…..

Edited by Charles4515

42 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Pretty common iPhone issue I believe.

Yes, the answer in your link. SMS and MMS. It says reset network settings but they should try restarting before doing that. Resetting network settings should be a last resort. 

Edited by Charles4515

55 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Text between iPhones are via iMessage which uses data (cellular or WiFi).  Text between and iPhone and Android phone are SMS which use cellular.

In order to send SMS, you have to be connected to cellular either via the ships Cellular at Sea (most likely 50c to send) or via WiFi calling.  WiFi calling must be initially activated on your home network with data turned on.  Once WiFi calling is initially activated, you can enable/disable Wifi calling when needed.  Wifi calling requires a WiFi connection (e.g., Voom).  Turn Airplane mode ON and WiFi ON.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, little britain said:

My iPhone 14 will not show my onboard account. I’ve done the usual uninstall/reinstall, logout/login…any suggestions please ? 

I had that issue once with the Royal app. The IT guy onboard had to get something reset on their server for my account. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Text between iPhones are via iMessage which uses data (cellular or WiFi).  Text between and iPhone and Android phone are SMS which use cellular.

In order to send SMS, you have to be connected to cellular either via the ships Cellular at Sea (most likely 50c to send) or via WiFi calling.  WiFi calling must be initially activated on your home network with data turned on.  Once WiFi calling is initially activated, you can enable/disable Wifi calling when needed.  Wifi calling requires a WiFi connection (e.g., Voom).  Turn Airplane mode ON and WiFi ON.

If they didn’t set up WiFi calling at home they may have to use WhatsApp. 

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

WiFi calling must be initially activated on your home network with data turned on.  Once WiFi calling is initially activated, you can enable/disable Wifi calling when needed.  Wifi calling requires a WiFi connection (e.g., Voom).  Turn Airplane mode ON and WiFi ON.

This is how you can “text” from iPhone to Android from the ship.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It should send sms text if using wifi calling if sms text is toggled on. 

I do this all the time.  The only issue I have is if I try to send a message to multiple people and they are mixed on IMessage and text.  They never go through.

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I had that issue years ago but when I turned on “Send as SMS” that solved my problem.

Settings / Messages / Send as SMS.

hope that works, it did for me

I can send/receive text from iPhone to Android when Send as SMS is Off.

28 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I can send/receive text from iPhone to Android when Send as SMS is Off.

I only had an issue on a ship and that’s all I did to fix it…. But this was a few years ago on an older phone. So I don’t know if it worked or I just got lucky.

50 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

That will help with group chats and sending and receiving videos from Android users who use RCS messaging  when iMessage is updated sometime later this year but SMS messages are not going away as many Android users don’t use RCS messaging and then there are flip phone users will be using SMS. There are a bunch of on Cruise Critic who laud the fact that they use flip phones. 📞 

3 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I do this all the time.  The only issue I have is if I try to send a message to multiple people and they are mixed on IMessage and text.  They never go through.

Our family is a mix of Android and iPhone we use the whatsapp while onboard.  Works great for us