MSC SEASCAPE at NCL’s Miami Terminal

eroller

Just curious if anyone might know why MSC SEASCAPE is using NCL’s Terminal B at PortMiami today while NORWEGIAN PEARL is using generic Terminal C behind her?   Seems odd an NCL ship wouldn’t be using NCL’s own branded terminal.  

The only reason I can think of is that the PEARL is often use for music charters, and maybe it’s easier to load all the heavy equipment from Terminal B.  

IMG_8398.jpeg

This isn't the first time I've seen that.  I think I even saw it with one of the BA/BA+ ships a couple weeks ago.  It won't be long before it won't be happening, with MSC's terminal under construction..

Just seems odd an MSC ship would get priority to dock at NCL’s own terminal when there is an NCL ship in port as well.  Terminal B is completely branded for NCL.  

As mentioned MSC will soon have its own terminal, largest at the port and capable of supporting two of the largest MSC ships at the same time.  Still at least now it doesn’t look nearly as impressive as NCL’s and even Royal’s dedicated terminals.  The Virgin terminal is pretty nice too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Not sure, but by end of day we are expecting a full picture folio of the situation from you.

Ha not today I’m afraid.  

12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Maybe NCL is allowing MSC to use it while their mega ships are not in port and the MSC port is under construction.

Except I think I saw MSC using NCL's terminal when one of the BA+ ships was in port...

We sailed on the Joy from Miami in October and were stuck using Terminal C while MSC used NCL's brand new terminal. All of our boarding docs said B and it was a last minute switch, and boarding was insanely disorganized.

I was bummed, since I had been looking forward to checking out NCL's new terminal - especially since we'd splurged on Haven and were looking forward to seeing that area! Plus the "Haven" area they'd earmarked in C was about 1/4 of the needed chairs and everyone was all crammed in standing and we couldn't even move for a while - definitely not the "lounge" experience we were paying for! (Same thing upon return - we docked at C again and MSC was back at B. Just really didn't make any sense to me why MSC would have priority over a BA+ class NCL ship.) 

On 1/16/2024 at 11:41 AM, sarr7 said:

We sailed on the Joy from Miami in October and were stuck using Terminal C while MSC used NCL's brand new terminal. All of our boarding docs said B and it was a last minute switch, and boarding was insanely disorganized.

I was bummed, since I had been looking forward to checking out NCL's new terminal - especially since we'd splurged on Haven and were looking forward to seeing that area! Plus the "Haven" area they'd earmarked in C was about 1/4 of the needed chairs and everyone was all crammed in standing and we couldn't even move for a while - definitely not the "lounge" experience we were paying for! (Same thing upon return - we docked at C again and MSC was back at B. Just really didn't make any sense to me why MSC would have priority over a BA+ class NCL ship.) 

So odd.  Would love to know why this is happening.  Why build your own branded terminal if you’re not going to utilize it?  

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Probably renting to MSC.

Sad if they are that desperate for revenue they would displace their own ships for the competition at a branded terminal they built.  It’s not a good look.  

12 minutes ago, eroller said:

Sad if they are that desperate for revenue they would displace their own ships for the competition at a branded terminal they built.  It’s not a good look.  

I am trying to imagine MSC passengers going through the NCL terminal with the big NCL letters outside yet boarding a MSC ship.  Would be a bit confusing.

43 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I am trying to imagine MSC passengers going through the NCL terminal with the big NCL letters outside yet boarding a MSC ship.  Would be a bit confusing.

Yes and the NCL passengers embarking on their cruise, wondering why they are embarking from a crappy generic terminal while the competition is embarking next door from the new state of the art NCL terminal.  Very odd.  

Edited by eroller

2 minutes ago, eroller said:

Yes and the NCL passengers embarking on their cruise, wondering why they are embarking from a crappy generic terminal while the completion is embarking next door from the new state of the art NCL terminal.  Very odd.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If NCLH is that hard up for cash, they have far bigger problems than not utilizing their own terminal.  

I’m hoping there is some temporary logistical reason behind it all.  If it’s just about $$ then that raises some serious red flags.  

There could be one other theory that the Port of Miami has some reason for arranging the ships this way.  Like you I cant imagine a cruise line to surrender their terminal to another cruise line except for emergency.  But it is interesting.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

There could be one other theory that the Port of Miami has some reason for arranging the ships this way.  Like you I cant imagine a cruise line to surrender their terminal to another cruise line except for emergency.  But it is interesting.

Looks like the SKY is spending the night, so

thst may have something to do with it.  This time at least.  

Even more interesting - the Seascape debarks from another terminal in Miami next weekend.  I'm on the Bliss boarding next Saturday, the port schedule has us boarding in NCL's terminal B.  If I'm reading correctly - Bliss will be facing East, I may not have good views of the Icon at Terminal A...

14 hours ago, hallux said:

Even more interesting - the Seascape debarks from another terminal in Miami next weekend.  I'm on the Bliss boarding next Saturday, the port schedule has us boarding in NCL's terminal B.  If I'm reading correctly - Bliss will be facing East, I may not have good views of the Icon at Terminal A...

I’m glad you’re sailing out of the correct terminal.  To me the only time you should not embark from the NCL Miami terminal on an NCL ship is if there are two NCL ships in port that day.  In that case one of them must be assigned to another terminal.  

Funny I’ve never seen anything but a Royal Caribbean ship at Royal’s dedicated terminal.  

I have seen a non-Virgin ship at Virgins dedicated Terminal V, but that was only when the port was completely full and no Virgin ship was in port.