What should we plan to buy?

The 2 things that come to mind are opals from Australia and merino wool products from New Zealand (although you'll find them throughout Australia as well, but they come from NZ). But that's only if you like those items. I personally really like Australian aboriginal art so I often buy a painting on canvas that I have stretched when I get home. But I don't travel to shop, so I don't feel the need to shop in those countries, only if I fall in love with something. And both countries can be expensive.

• Thanks 1

The quality of NZ vs Australian merino wool is very similar, so either will be fine. Sometimes at wool shows, NZ wins, other times it is Aussie. What is unique to NZ and mat be a "must" is the possum wool from NZ. In Australia possums are a pest but a protected species. In NZ they are an introduced pest and culled at every opportunity. Products are made by combining their fur with wool resulting in a soft and luxurious garment.

From Australia, take home some Tim Tams and Vegemite. 2 of our favourite pantry staples. The Cadbury's chocolate from NZ is also pretty good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

The 2 things that come to mind are opals from Australia and merino wool products from New Zealand (although you'll find them throughout Australia as well, but they come from NZ). But that's only if you like those items. I personally really like Australian aboriginal art so I often buy a painting on canvas that I have stretched when I get home. But I don't travel to shop, so I don't feel the need to shop in those countries, only if I fall in love with something. And both countries can be expensive.

Australia produces its own Merino wool products. It's where the Merino wool you find in NZ originated from. In fact, NZ uses some Australian Merino wool in producing its products. Australia produces 81% of the world's Merino wool.

As yarramar said, possum fur mixed with wool is a typical NZ product - gloves, scarves, jumpers, caps, cardigans, jackets etc are all extremely warm. I have possum and Merino gloves, the best and warmest I have. 

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cookiersmom said:

We will be on ship (Au and NZ) for a month and in Auckland,  Melbourne,  Uluru and Sydney for overnight stays.  

What are the "must buys" we should plan to buy?

I would suggest in NZ Whittakers chocolate. Whittakers is the best NZ chocolate, it comes in many different flavours, some quite unusual. Also if you have the chance to buy an ice cream cone in NZ, try Hokey Pokey flavour - vanilla with honeycomb toffee pieces in it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

As yarramar said, possum fur mixed with wool is a typical NZ product - gloves, scarves, jumpers, caps, cardigans, jackets etc are all extremely warm. I have possum and Merino gloves, the best and warmest I have. 

100% accurate!  When I was in Dunedin last January I bought two triangular short shawl/poncho pullover, and a couple pair of socks, all made from the wool/possum blend.  Best purchases EVER! says the person sitting in their iced covered snowed in house wearing one of the shawl/ponchos.  I can't wait to be back this November to buy ALL. THE. THINGS.  LOL!

@cookiersmom I would suggest some NZ greenstone jewelry with traditional designs.  They are unique and a pretty reminder.  I have yet to get myself some Australian opals, so that is on my list for my trip this year.  And the possum/wool things.

• Like 1

Another "must try" thing to eat in NZ is their "Kumara chips". Kumara is a sweet potato but has been cultivated in New Zealand for over 1000 years, so has a unique flavour. When travelling around, we always stop to buy some as a snack. Ice cream is a nono for us these days. 

Also at a cafe ask for a "Latte" it was quite a shock for us the first time that we did (it was served in a large bowl), being used to a milk coffee in a small glass in Melbourne (which you also "must" try).

Edited by yarramar
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, yarramar said:

Another "must try" thing to eat in NZ is their "Kumara chips". Kumara is a sweet potato but has been cultivated in New Zealand for over 1000 years, so has a unique flavour. When travelling around, we always stop to buy some as a snack. Ice cream is a nono for us these days. 

Also at a cafe ask for a "Latte" it was quite a shock for us the first time that we did (it was served in a large bowl), being used to a milk coffee in a small glass in Melbourne (which you also "must" try).

Ooooh I have not heard of the Kumara chips (aren't these called crisps like in the UK?).  I will seek these out in November.  Same with the milk coffee.  I love having new things to look for, and try. 😄 

Edited by dreams_of_travel

5 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Ooooh I have not heard of the Kumara chips (aren't these called crisps like in the UK?).  I will seek these out in November.  Same with the milk coffee.  I love having new things to look for, and try. 😄 

Kumara chips are hot, like french fries, only made from kumara (sweet potato).

image.thumb.png.9741c1c6b2f8d7cfe50068915351f469.png

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Laurie @cookiersmom
If you love Pearls, you might also consider the world renowned Paspaley Pearls.  They originate from Broome Western Australia but they have boutiques around the country.  Their flagship boutique is in Sydney CBD.  

This website will show you their collections.  Their products are very high end and they have a stunning array of designs in their collections. The USD exchange rate will work in your favour.   

www.paspaley.com

If you scroll to the bottom of their website, there is a link for "Boutiques" which will give you the locations.  

See you soon 😃

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 8:16 AM, possum52 said:

I would suggest in NZ Whittakers chocolate. Whittakers is the best NZ chocolate, it comes in many different flavours, some quite unusual. Also if you have the chance to buy an ice cream cone in NZ, try Hokey Pokey flavour - vanilla with honeycomb toffee pieces in it.

OMG!... Yes Leigh @possum52 you are spot on!  The Hokey Pokey ice cream is divine 😍😋

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 12:27 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

100% accurate!  When I was in Dunedin last January I bought two triangular short shawl/poncho pullover, and a couple pair of socks, all made from the wool/possum blend.  Best purchases EVER! says the person sitting in their iced covered snowed in house wearing one of the shawl/ponchos.  I can't wait to be back this November to buy ALL. THE. THINGS.  LOL!

@cookiersmom I would suggest some NZ greenstone jewelry with traditional designs.  They are unique and a pretty reminder.  I have yet to get myself some Australian opals, so that is on my list for my trip this year.  And the possum/wool things.

There is a wonderful home made craft shop in Picton.  I bought beautiful handcrafted alpaca fingerless gloves and hand crafted woollen neck gaitor, as well as a big red heart pendant for Scarlet Night on Resilient Lady.   I bought beautifull colourful polished shells at the Gift Shop. The supermarket had a good selection of NZ wines.  

• Like 1