Semi-Live MSC Meraviglia 11-night Caribbean round trip from NYC (Jan. 15, 2024)

PistolPete13

11 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Port Miami nighttime sailaway.

Beautiful nighttime pictures.  i have to ask, what camera did you use to take them.  My nighttime exposures usually end up blurred and not crystal clear like yours. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I had the same question 😁

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Beautiful nighttime pictures.  i have to ask, what camera did you use to take them.  My nighttime exposures usually end up blurred and not crystal clear like yours. 

Thank you both.  I'm a bit embarassed to say I was using a Nikon Z9 camera, not exactly a daily camera for most people!  

But more importantly, I've been taking night skyline photos for a long time (10+ yrs) and have spent many hours learning and refining the process for getting the most out of the photos I get with post processing software.

I do have my misses too like my smeared night shots of Icon of the Seas sailing away just a few minutes before these were taken.  By the time I realized what was wrong it was too late to change my settings and correct, the ship had literally sailed!  I blame the food coma after eating too fast in the buffet and then running outside for the sailaway.  LOL. 

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thank you both.  I'm a bit embarassed to say I was using a Nikon Z9 camera, not exactly a daily camera for most people!  

But more importantly, I've been taking night skyline photos for a long time (10+ yrs) and have spent many hours learning and refining the process for getting the most out of the photos I get with post processing software.

I do have my misses too like my smeared night shots of Icon of the Seas sailing away just a few minutes before these were taken.  By the time I realized what was wrong it was too late to change my settings and correct, the ship had literally sailed!  I blame the food coma after eating too fast in the buffet and then running outside for the sailaway.  LOL. 

Thank you for those gorgeous photos. Perhaps if I spent less time reading conspiracy theories online and focus my attention more on useful hobbies I too could....who am I kidding? I'll stick to my conspiracy theories.

• Haha 2

@PistolPete13  Thank you.  For years I carried a SLR / Digital SLR with me and even a few times took a tripod as this was the only way to ensure a steady platform to take long exposure photo's.  Over time this became a burden so now I just use my cell phone and pray for the best.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@PistolPete13  Thank you.  For years I carried a SLR / Digital SLR with me and even a few times took a tripod as this was the only way to ensure a steady platform to take long exposure photo's.  Over time this became a burden so now I just use my cell phone and pray for the best.  

The tech is amazing now.  Most of the photos I posted were taken between ISO 4000 and 12800(!)  This, plus built in stabilization on the camera body or lens, allowed me to handhold at a shutter speed high enough to minimize shake.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The tech is amazing now.  Most of the photos I posted were taken between ISO 4000 and 12800(!)  This, plus built in stabilization on the camera body or lens, allowed me to handhold at a shutter speed high enough to minimize shake.

My husband has an slr. My picture taking skills are not so hot. Using a cell phone now and hbope for the best. You've done a great job on your photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Morning all!

Here we go.  The NYC temps are 23 degrees F this morning.  I decided to go with plan B and get a ride directly to the Brooklyn port vs my original plan of taking the ferry from Wall St.  At these temps the less time I spend outside the better!

Checked and rechecked that I have all my paperwork.  Cargo pants are a must for embarkation day given how full your hands are with luggage.  Hopefully my next post will be at the pier!

Hi, Pistol Pete:  Loved your review, but I have a question about getting a ride to the terminal. Google Maps is confusing. If I am taking an Uber from my hotel in Prospect Park, can the driver drop me off right at the terminal, by pier 12? It looks like a private road, and I have two pieces of roller luggage. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Hi, Pistol Pete:  Loved your review, but I have a question about getting a ride to the terminal. Google Maps is confusing. If I am taking an Uber from my hotel in Prospect Park, can the driver drop me off right at the terminal, by pier 12? It looks like a private road, and I have two pieces of roller luggage. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.eb5304620d1b9a5f11e442624d3cf862.png

Did you have any other questions???  😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAGR said:

Yup, you can go right up to the entrance.  Of course, depending on the traffic situation, you can always jump out a bit early if there is a jam right up front but I saw some workers good about waving traffic along.