Semi-Live MSC Meraviglia 11-night Caribbean round trip from NYC (Jan. 15, 2024)

PistolPete13

Looking forward to your thoughts on MSC.  We were going to sail on this ship next September, but they cancelled our sailing.  We opted for NCL out of Boston as a replacement, same itinerary. 

• Like 1

Started to read your report here because it looks like you gave up posting on the NCL forum.  We did this same cruise last Halloween except we had to skip Ocean Key and Nassau because of weather.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@PistolPete13 

Hi Pete, I just discovered your thread here. Like other NCL vets, I’m interested in your thoughts about MSC. I too am disappointed in NCL’s offerings out of NY this winter.

I hope you have a great time on the rest of your trip! 

You will be even more disappointed in NCL's winter offerings Winter '25...lol Their only choice out of NY in January is a REPO ending in Galveston. NCL's offerings in NY are not anything close to what they used to be. No biggie after this Feb. cruise on Getaway I have two MSC cruises in the pipeline including next January...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

You will be even more disappointed in NCL's winter offerings Winter '25...lol Their only choice out of NY in January is a REPO ending in Galveston. NCL's offerings in NY are not anything close to what they used to be. No biggie after this Feb. cruise on Getaway I have two MSC cruises in the pipeline including next January...

NCL ships aren’t made for winter /cold weather ports anyway.  No indoor pools or hot tubs, most activities are outside.  They really need to design a different ship for cold weather.   

1 hour ago, Tura Lura said:

NCL ships aren’t made for winter /cold weather ports anyway.  No indoor pools or hot tubs, most activities are outside.  They really need to design a different ship for cold weather.   

We’ve been very happy sailing NCL’s Jewel-class ships out of NY in the winter. Yes, you have a couple of cold days, but you also have (for many folks) the convenience of a drive-to port, and, for all, the magnificent sailaway out of Manhattan. 

NCL has had some great winter itineraries out of NY, including full transits of the Panama Canal. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tura Lura said:

I really enjoyed my cold weather journey from NYC aboard Getaway. Sure the first sea day and last were a wee bit chilly, but nothing compared to Central New York....we NY'er's are tough (the non-city variety, at least). 🤠

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

I really enjoyed my cold weather journey from NYC aboard Getaway. Sure the first sea day and last were a wee bit chilly, but nothing compared to Central New York....we NY'er's are tough (the non-city variety, at least). 🤠

I live in Brooklyn.  I love cruising out of NYC - and I’ve gone on NCL in the winter. They totally need a cold weather ship!  Like Royal Caribbean’s indoor solarium ( and retractable roof pool), like On Anthem of the seas.  I picked MSC out of Brooklyn for an upcoming Feb cruise, partly because it’s billed as a cold weather ship- indoor pool and indoor hot tubs! 

i went in the NCL outdoor hot tubs in my cruise to Oct to Canada last year, but I was thinking the whole time, why nothing indoors NCL!   Esp when freezing getting out! 

4 minutes ago, Tura Lura said:

I live in Brooklyn.  I love cruising out of NYC - and I’ve gone on NCL in the winter. They totally need a cold weather ship!  Like Royal Caribbean’s indoor solarium ( and retractable roof pool), like On Anthem of the seas.  I picked MSC out of Brooklyn for an upcoming Feb cruise, partly because it’s billed as a cold weather ship- indoor pool and indoor hot tubs! 

i went in the NCL outdoor hot tubs in my cruise to Oct to Canada last year, but I was thinking the whole time, why nothing indoors NCL!   Esp when freezing getting out! 

I did say I enjoyed the cruise. And, I did! But, on the last day of our January cruise we did duck out of the hot tub after about five minutes. It was a bit too windy, so yea, an indoor area would be really great! I can't discount that - I'd be lying if I did. 

I'm definitely looking at MSC for future cruises out of NYC and interested in what our intrepid explorer @PistolPete13 says about his experience once he's finished. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tura Lura said:

I don't see this happening. NCL constantly rotates ships out of NYC. Doubt they will design and build a ship specifically for colder weather cruising with indoor pools. 

We love the convenience of sailing out of NY/NJ and don't mind losing a few days of warm weather. On NCL we usually book the Thermal Spa when sailing Winter or Canada/NE itineraries. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

I don't see this happening. NCL constantly rotates ships out of NYC. Doubt they will design and build a ship specifically for colder weather cruising with indoor pools. 

We love the convenience of sailing out of NY/NJ and don't mind losing a few days of warm weather. On NCL we usually book the Thermal Spa when sailing Winter or Canada/NE itineraries. 

It’s a big miss on their part. They cruise to Alaska, they cruise to Canada… they should have a pool with a retractable roof at least like other lines.  You can easily cruise out of NY/NJ on other lines.  I live in NYC, absolutely not limited to NCL.  

3 hours ago, Tura Lura said:

You can have those things on NCL if you are willing to pay more. 

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You can have those things on NCL if you are willing to pay more. 

Or I can have them on other lines and not have to pay more!   MSC was super cheap for a solo in an inside cabin. $400 for 7 days.  Just under $600 with port fees/taxes included.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Tura Lura said:

It’s a big miss on their part. They cruise to Alaska, they cruise to Canada… they should have a pool with a retractable roof at least like other lines.  You can easily cruise out of NY/NJ on other lines.  I live in NYC, absolutely not limited to NCL.  

I agree. NCL is not the only game in town. That is why I have Sept. and January "25 cruises on MSC The  Feb. '24 cruise on NCL Getaway is most likely my last Winter cruise on NCL for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tura Lura said:

post covid we got a steal on getaway 2 br haven but having no roof in march wasnt fun. but we did get a super low price so it was still worth it. but as with all ncl ships, they forgot to design indoor seating space that is not a restaurant nor bar. even in warm weather you have bad weather days that the outside is closed off.

Enjoying your live review. 

They have the hockey puck hashbrowns?!?! 😲 Wow.  I guess I need to consider MSC again for a future cruise. 

What are you missing from NCL? For us, it was the evening musical entertainment in lounges and knowing the start times. We liked how NCL would post the specific times in the daily. For MSC it is a several hour time range such as 7:00pm-11:00pm and we would often arrive during a break and had no idea when they planned to resume performing. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In Costa Maya today using port WiFi and my phone. My long form thoughts are on my laptop still on the ship!

Had a great snorkel and beach excursion yesterday in Cozumel. 

My assigned dinner table mates have been a fun and diverse group. Makes the 90 minute dinner service fly by. 

The costa maya port feels a lot more developed now compared to my visit 4 years ago. 

I’ve been enjoying the shows in the main theater so far.  The sets are 45 mins long and they run 3 shows an evening. 

They also have a nightly DJ hosted music party in the main atrium that a lot of people were enjoying and even got this crabby old guy to smile a few times. 

Best part is that the buffet is open until at least midnight with food and snacks.  Only the first two nights they had dessert snacks.  Not sure what was up with that.  

Still beats the 9pm shutdown with NCL. 

Random phone photos 

IMG_9501.jpeg

IMG_9486.jpeg

IMG_9477.jpeg

IMG_9460.jpeg

IMG_9447.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9372.jpeg

IMG_9317.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

In Costa Maya today using port WiFi and my phone. My long form thoughts are on my laptop still on the ship!

Had a great snorkel and beach excursion yesterday in Cozumel. 

My assigned dinner table mates have been a fun and diverse group. Makes the 90 minute dinner service fly by. 

The costa maya port feels a lot more developed now compared to my visit 4 years ago. 

I’ve been enjoying the shows in the main theater so far.  The sets are 45 mins long and they run 3 shows an evening. 

They also have a nightly DJ hosted music party in the main atrium that a lot of people were enjoying and even got this crabby old guy to smile a few times. 

Best part is that the buffet is open until at least midnight with food and snacks.  Only the first two nights they had dessert snacks.  Not sure what was up with that.  

Still beats the 9pm shutdown with NCL. 

Random phone photos 

IMG_9501.jpeg

IMG_9486.jpeg

IMG_9477.jpeg

IMG_9460.jpeg

IMG_9447.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9372.jpeg

IMG_9317.jpeg

Great photos. Can't wait till Friday when I board the Meraviglia.