How steep is the gangway in Eastern Caribbean?

DW and I are planning a trip on Enchanted Princess this Spring with ports of call in Eastern Caribbean - Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. After our disastrous cruise in Europe on Azamara last summer (steep gangway with stairs in every other port), I would like to make sure the gangways in the Caribbean are more accessible. DW uses a cane and asks for wheelchair assistance if the gangway is somewhat steep. But if the gangway is too steep, it cannot be accessible by a wheelchair.

What was your experience in those ports? Please advise.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

There's alot of variability, including sea levels at the day and time your ship is in port and what doors the captain chooses to use. Let alone an interpretation of "too steep."

I am a (power) wheels user.

I have never had an issue at Grand Turk over at least 8 sailings in Decembers. I've not run into an insurmountable barrier (stair) ag any port in the Caribbean.

I do not know if the ships I have been on offer wheelchairs at ports to assist in disembarking/embarking: I have not seen one on hand.

I know I have never been declined a request for an extra hand to help prevent a potential tip-over. Often, the first and last 3 or 4 feet are steeper.

48 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

I have never had an issue at Grand Turk over at least 8 sailings in Decembers. I've not run into an insurmountable barrier (stair) ag any port in the Caribbean.

Thank you very much, so Grand Turk is out of question.

With regard to tides, the tides in the Caribbean are no way as large as e.g., in Bay of Fundy - see here for Anigua https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=9761115&legacy=1. The range is mere foot or so

13 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

With regard to tides, the tides in the Caribbean are no way as large as e.g., in Bay of Fundy - see here for Anigua https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=9761115&legacy=1. The range is mere foot or so

If you mean "out of question" as being "no expected difficulty," that would be accurate.

I've only sailed into St. Lucia a couple of times, neither of which there was an issue I recall. That being said, both St Lucia and Antigua towns may have high curbs and very limited curb cuts. We didn't sped time in Castries- headed out in a fantastic day-long tour and beach time. In Antigua, we also headed out I lived there for 6 months when I was a child and wanted to get back to that aeea (which was more rural). We camped out at a beach resort.

St. Thomas' main drag also has a fair amount of high curbs. 3/4 ton trucks with. bench seating in the bed is the "norm" for taxis, so you may want to be cognizant of that when making plans. There are a couple of wheelchair accessible taxis. They can be booked for the day or for short runs, if available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voyager1964 said:

Why would Grand Turk be out of the question? 

As FOP noted, in their 8 visits, no problems at all.. it's the same gangway at all the ports, as it's provided by the ship. How steep depends some on tides. They're not all that steep, but they're not flat either. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Why would Grand Turk be out of the question? 

Sorry for the confusion, it is exactly this:

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

"no expected difficulty,"