AMA Waterways what should I know?

NMTraveller

I have a 14 day cruise booked with AMA in May.  It is one that we had to cancel last year.  What is there to know about AMA?  When do I select excursions?  Is there anything special to do about dining?  Anything else?  Thanks.

I am going to assume you are talking about a European river cruise.

Ama doesn't have a account login, but you will receive an email at some point about upcoming cruise. It will say something about Registering for excursions and downloading documents 30 days prior to the cruise (assuming you are paid in full). You'll use your reservation #, last name, and birthdate.

It is my belief that the registering for excursions is just to gage interest. Everyone I've seen post on here has reported the same experience. Once you are on board, there is no checking or validating which excursion you registered for. Around breakfast for morning excursions and lunch for afternoon excursions, you will go to the front desk and tell them which one you want to do (and if applicable, which activity level), and they will give you a colored card. This will correspond to a tour guide's lollipop and/or a bus placard. you will also be told a designated time, as sometimes there's multiple groups doing the same thing, and they might stagger the leaving time.

They do have an app, and you can do it there also.

The only thing I can think of for dining, is that if you want to do dinner at the Chef's Table, make reservations at reception, and contact them ahead of time if you have any dietary restrictions.

https://www.amawaterways.com/welcome-aboard-europe#onboard-dining

or, if you are on AmaMagna:

https://www.amawaterways.com/welcome-aboard-amamagna#onboard-dining

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I am going to assume you are talking about a European river cruise.

Ama doesn't have a account login, but you will receive an email at some point about upcoming cruise. It will say something about Registering for excursions and downloading documents 30 days prior to the cruise (assuming you are paid in full). You'll use your reservation #, last name, and birthdate.

It is my belief that the registering for excursions is just to gage interest. Everyone I've seen post on here has reported the same experience. Once you are on board, there is no checking or validating which excursion you registered for. Around breakfast for morning excursions and lunch for afternoon excursions, you will go to the front desk and tell them which one you want to do (and if applicable, which activity level), and they will give you a colored card. This will correspond to a tour guide's lollipop and/or a bus placard. you will also be told a designated time, as sometimes there's multiple groups doing the same thing, and they might stagger the leaving time.

They do have an app, and you can do it there also.

The only thing I can think of for dining, is that if you want to do dinner at the Chef's Table, make reservations at reception, and contact them ahead of time if you have any dietary restrictions.

https://www.amawaterways.com/welcome-aboard-europe#onboard-dining

or, if you are on AmaMagna:

https://www.amawaterways.com/welcome-aboard-amamagna#onboard-dining

Yes European river cruise.  Thanks.

AMA doesn't close people out of the regular excursions, and in fact they don't even check who is taking the color chits that designate which bus you'll be on.  But they also have some limited excursions (no extra cost, but limited numbers) and they do sell out – I would sign up for them online before you go.

• Like 1

For the Ama app you will need to wait until 45 days or closer to your cruise before it will allow you enter your booking number and last name to see your cruise and shore excursion options. That is what the app posted to me yesterday.  You do your online checkin on the Ama web page after final payment. 

• 3 weeks later...