Just off Prima- Not the best cruise...

38 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

This is one view of Viva during a sail-away.  I wish I had a similar picture of deck 17 but I assure you there were far more people on 17 than down on 8.  Warm weather cruise, if the demographic preferred 8, I'd expect to see a lot more people down there.

IMG_7387.JPEG

Thanks for posting this. Seating for a hundred with a pool capacity of 15. Hope you don't want to take in the sun. It's probably blocked by the 200 foot ship structure 10 feet behind you. Nice privacy for the balconies, too, as passengers can look right up.....brilliant.

Edited by luv2kroooz

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Second week of December on Prima we had 3700 people crammed on a ship designed for around 3000.  Venues like improv, atrium, buffet, observation lounge, pool area, and pour house were almost always overcrowded during peak times.  The belvedere bar and sometimes the metropolitan bar were the only two bar areas that seemed to have elbow room in them.

With as many kids on board I can understand why pool, buffet, and observation lounge were packed.  We expected the pour house and improv to be packed and they were.  In the improv as others have reported it was literally packed like sardines.  Our thoughts were after a certain point you would think they would quit letting people in.  But people kept coming in.

Our biggest disappointment was the atrium area in the evenings.  We could rarely get a seat to listen to the lounge acts.  There was this oversized couch just off from the main seating area that took up a lot of space that could have otherwise provided additional seating to watch the entertainment.  It was often occupied by one or two families and 5 to 10 kids jumping around and doing what kids do.  

This was our experience last week too, although we didn't have near as many kids, thank goodness.  Sids, Improv, Obs Lounge, and Atrium were packed for events.  Theater was overloaded once that we witnessed, so maybe its OK.  Metro and Belevedere had capacity with Metro becoming our go-to bar.   

People would chair hog in the Obs Lounge such that getting a seat was not possible often.  Comedy is popular on ships, so I don't know why NCL would think the small capacity of Improv would work.  People would line up early to get in and then once it, it was wall to wall packed.  Deck 8 was popular but we could usually find nice seating down there, thank goodness.  Deck 17 pool area was a zoo for which I wanted no part.

I love the cheerleaders doubling down with the "arm chair" comments!  If we are just rubes who don't know anything, why do we get asked for comments by cruise lines at all?  "Just shut up and take it as you don't know what's best!  NCL's designers are experts." 

Companies make stupid decisions all the time or think consumers will do certain things that they don't end up doing even though they are "experts".  New Coke.  The Edsel.  Not allowing people to remove food from the buffet (NCL).  Charging for Pizza (almost Royal who took note of the non-expert opinion).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I think where the designers of the new Prima class ships went wrong was they tried to be all things to all people.  Because that is not possible many are left disappointed.  

Where they went right was indulge food court.  Great idea.  Rarely hear negative comments. They nailed the vibe.  Can't imagine what they could have done to make it any better.

We always stay in standard balcony rooms.  The standard balcony rooms were the best we have experienced on any ship.  They even upgraded the balcony chairs where they recline. 

• Like 5

The one observation that all the mainstream cruise lines share is the fact that people seem to want to use the pool(s).  Cruise line pools are small.  They're most like wading pools.  3,000 + people (or a fraction thereof) trying to crowd around and in a pool will always be silly.  NCL, and the others, can not make a pool big enough on a ship to accommodate thousands of passengers.

I havne't been on the Viva nor the Prima.  But, like any new cruise ship, it seems to be split 50-50 to those who like it, and those who don't.  If you try to please one side of that equation, you'll disturb the other half.

Can't win.

25 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

I think where the designers of the new Prima class ships went wrong was they tried to be all things to all people.  Because that is not possible many are left disappointed.  

Where they went right was indulge food court.  Great idea.  Rarely hear negative comments. They nailed the vibe.  Can't imagine what they could have done to make it any better.

We always stay in standard balcony rooms.  The standard balcony rooms were the best we have experienced on any ship.  They even upgraded the balcony chairs where they recline. 

Those balcony rooms are the best!  One of the nicest non-suite balconies we have had.  Nice chairs too, but ours had the reclining mechanism bolted in place.  I don't know if they all were, but I don't know why just ours would be.  I assume someone managed to hurt themselves reclining and sued the cruise line to ruin it for the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, Tenderpaw said:

Those balcony rooms are the best!  One of the nicest non-suite balconies we have had.  Nice chairs too, but ours had the reclining mechanism bolted in place.  I don't know if they all were, but I don't know why just ours would be.  I assume someone managed to hurt themselves reclining and sued the cruise line to ruin it for the rest of us.

Ours worked just fine.  Spent most mornings out there with a cup of coffee.  Great way to start the day before breakfast. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, david_sobe said:

We are seeing cutbacks galore in the entertainment areas of all cruise lines.  No one would have ever thought that the traditional cruise ship entertainment would be coming back with cruise ship performers.  When Epic debuted in 2010 it had 3 major licensed Vegas Style acts:  Blue Man, Legends In Concert, Cirque Dreams.   Then it was two and now just one. 

I was on the Epic when they had those shows and yes they were my favorite shows I have seen on a cruise. My son who was around 14 at the time now he is almost 21 to this day says that is his favorite ship. And we have been on almost all the Breakaway and Plus ships.

18 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Have not experienced that on any ship, including Prima. I have never left a ship and thought, "gee, sure am glad I'm leaving".  I don't think I ever will. I always want another week.

I mostly agree. Maybe the only time that was different was on a very boring HAL ship and we had some days booked in Montreal afterwards that we hoped would be exciting, (And they were.)

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Cruise line pools are small.  They're most like wading pools.

Some cruise line pools are like small wading pools. However, many ships ( including some NCL ships) have multiple, large pools, as deep as 6-8 ft. So large, that we often see passengers swimming laps in the early AM or organized pool games, like Volleyball, being conducted as part of the daily programme. They certainly aren't Olympic sized, but I wouldn't use the words wading pools to describe them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

I was on the Epic when they had those shows and yes they were my favorite shows I have seen on a cruise. My son who was around 14 at the time now he is almost 21 to this day says that is his favorite ship. And we have been on almost all the Breakaway and Plus ships.

Yes in those days NCL went all out with entertainment.  Even though Epic got bad reviews from cruisers over the function of the ship, it was #1 in entertainment.  Cruise Critic gave NCL best entertainment at sea to NCL Epic's first year.  Besides those top notch licensed acts you also had Second City comedy troop on board along with dueling pianos, and your typical comedians, etc.
Those were the days!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

But if weather not good, that Haven outside space is useless.

Isn't that true for all outdoor spaces on all ships? I would say though that I think this Prima class is better suited to warm weather cruising.

55 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Some cruise line pools are like small wading pools. However, many ships ( including some NCL ships) have multiple, large pools, as deep as 6-8 ft. So large, that we often see passengers swimming laps in the early AM or organized pool games, like Volleyball, being conducted as part of the daily programme. They certainly aren't Olympic sized, but I wouldn't use the words wading pools to describe them.

If that's important to you, I would look for itineraries that offer ports with beaches and access to waters for water activities.  I would not look to any cruise line for water activities.  They offer them.  They just aren't the best choice.

54 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

The infinity hot tubs in the vibe were almost as large as the Prima's main pool.  At least is seemed that way though we never spent any time there.  The vibe infinity hot tubs were definitely less crowded.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If that's important to you, I would look for itineraries that offer ports with beaches and access to waters for water activities.  I would not look to any cruise line for water activities.  They offer them.  They just aren't the best choice.

Agreed on that. We've done many of the Caribbean beaches. We spend most Caribbean port days onboard enjoying the quieter ship and beverages, which is why a functional Lido deck and swimming pool is so important to us.

Edited by luv2kroooz

8 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Agreed on that. We've done many of the Caribbean beaches. We spend most Caribbean port days onboard enjoying the quieter ship and beverages, which is why a functional Lido deck and swimming pool is so important to us.

If you're spending your time on board for Caribbean Port Days, you should have the pool areas mostly to yourself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SeaShark said:

So after building seven mega-ships (Epic thru Encore), NCL decides to build some medium size ships to fill the gap between the 2000 passenger ships and the mega-ships...something that can go to more ports, especially those without Icon of the Seas sized berths, and the prevailing logic on CC is "You know, these new ships would be great if they just made them BIGGER". 🙄

They don't have them going to more ports, though.  They have them going to the same ports that the Breakaway Plus class ships have been going to (St Thomas, Tortola, Cozumel, GSC, Costa Maya, etc.).  

If you're spending your time on board for Caribbean Port Days, you should have the pool areas mostly to yourself.

I spent the port days on board Prima and the pool was still entirely too small.  It's literally the size of the Haven Pool on the Breakaway Plus ships.

• Thanks 1

I hate to point this out but if what you want to do on vacation is be in a swimming pool, a land vacation would be better than a cruise. When you think of the size of the pool with the bathing load all day including kids, it's kind of scary. Definitely don't put your head under the water.

Was at an all inclusive resort on land on loungers next to the pool. This about 30 yr old guy stood in the waist deep water talking to his friend's next to us. He drank over 10 beers in 3 hrs and never left the pool. I had 3 beers in 3 hrs and had to get up to go to the bathroom 3 times. At least that pool was massive.

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, bluefish17 said:

I hate to point this out but if what you want to do on vacation is be in a swimming pool, a land vacation would be better than a cruise. When you think of the size of the pool with the bathing load all day including kids, it's kind of scary. Definitely don't put your head under the water.

Was at an all inclusive resort on land on loungers next to the pool. This about 30 yr old guy stood in the waist deep water talking to his friend's next to us. He drank over 10 beers in 3 hrs and never left the pool. I had 3 beers in 3 hrs and had to get up to go to the bathroom 3 times. At least that pool was massive.

That’s the way I view it, too!  I’ve been cruising since the ‘80s.  Cruise ship pools were never big, and always crowded.  

If you want a pool vacay, Sandals would be more to your liking!

• Like 3

That’s the way I view it, too!  I’ve been cruising since the ‘80s.  Cruise ship pools were never big, and always crowded.  

If you want a pool vacay, Sandals would be more to your liking!

Totally agree. Yet, I haven't met anyone who cruises solely to use a swimming pool.

Agree with respect to size of pools on Prima and Viva....not big, always crowded.

Might be better to select a cruise ship with a functionally designed Lido deck, such as Jewel class on NCL or Grand class on Princess. MSC has some inviting pools, too.

Decent food USDA inspected on cruises. Galley generally cleaner than restaurants at home or in Punta Cana. 

Lots to consider.

I have sailed MSC, and on NCL Gem.  I have not sailed Princess.

Trying to recall a time when I thought it was a good idea to find a lounger and lounge by the pool, or get into the pool.  It has never been inviting for me.  It's generally been this mass of people in various stages of some times beautiful, but most times cringe worthy bathing attire.  And, some of the rudest behavior I've ever seen on any cruise ship have been in and around the main pool areas.  I don't care if you make the pools bigger, put more loungers around them (they are already too crowded), my enjoyment of cruising does not include hanging out by the main pool areas.

So, I've resigned myself not to frequent the main pools on any of the cruise ships, and find other, more relaxed areas on the ships to do my sun bathing and pool dipping.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It's generally been this mass of people in various stages of some times beautiful, but most times cringe worthy bathing attire.

BINGO......you've correctly identified one of the design flaws with Prima and Viva.... A mass of people trying to use a main pool and deck that are significantly undersized. Demand far exceeds supply making for a poor pool experience and then that same mass of people leaving unfavorable reviews about the ship after their vacation.

3 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

BINGO......you've correctly identified one of the design flaws with Prima and Viva.... A mass of people trying to use a main pool and deck that are significantly undersized. Demand far exceeds supply making for a poor pool experience and then that same mass of people leaving unfavorable reviews about the ship after their vacation.

Well D@MN, I thought I had taken a photo of the pool deck on Getaway in April 2022. It was absolutely an overwhelming mass of humanity. Every chair was taken on the pool deck and on the deck above. Not by towels, but by people. The pool was crammed with people and the hot tubs all had anywhere between six and ten folks in them. My husband and I ventured onto the deck, then we turned around and went back to the Haven (thank G-d we were in there). 

It's not a design flaw of just Pr1ma and V!va. It's a design flaw on Getaway and Joy, and probably other ships that I haven't sailed on. But anyway....at least P1ma and V!va have two additional pools to go to on deck 8. That's a plus! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's not a design flaw of just Pr1ma and V!va. It's a design flaw on Getaway and Joy, and probably other ships that I haven't sailed on. But anyway....at least P1ma and V!va have two additional pools to go to on deck 8. That's a plus! 

Only a plus if people want to use the 2 pools on Deck 8, where capacity might be 20 people per pool. My observation is the design flaw is much more pronounced on Pr!ma and V!va. Getaway has an extra pool up on Lido.

Edited by luv2kroooz

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

Only a plus if people want to use the 2 pools on Deck 8, where capacity might be 20 people per pool. My observation is the problem is much more pronounced on Pr!ma and V!va. Getaway has an extra pool up on Lido.

Getaway has one pool. The Deck 15 (Lido) pool. There are no other options, except hot tubs. Sure the Haven has a pool, but it isn't for the masses. 

• Like 1