Window configuration different categories

goldfish65

Newbie, so please forgive. 

Looking into doing a Fall Transatlantic to Florida in the next few years. I am concerned about having a cabin where the outer wall has two windows, rather than one wide window. It looks like the cabins with more square footage, have the two-window design, which seems like a serious drawback. We have done a transatlantic on another line, in a suite, with full-width windows. Is this even something to be concerned about? Are certain categories always one way or the other? Thank you.

So, Penthouse Veranda will always have the two daylight openings, rather than one large, unobstructed view outward? What I am put off by, is having a section of wall partially obstructing the view of the ocean. 

Edited by goldfish65

Note there are TWO configurations for a PV. The one with the slider has just one window, the one with the door has two windows. Either way, the openings do not fill up the entire wall. There are numerous threads on CC talking about the views out of the two configurations. Some like one, some like the other. So in answer to your question as to whether it’s a “serious” drawback, my answer is No.

We’ve stayed in both configurations, but prefer the one window slider because it’s a bit safer trying to go in and out of the balcony in an Atlantic gale. As far as views, we spend very little time in our cabin when there are views to be had—and either configuration is fine. For more expansive views, you can either go out on the balcony or up to the Explorer’s Lounge.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Newbie, so please forgive. 

Looking into doing a Fall Transatlantic to Florida in the next few years. I am concerned about having a cabin where the outer wall has two windows, rather than one wide window. It looks like the cabins with more square footage, have the two-window design, which seems like a serious drawback. We have done a transatlantic on another line, in a suite, with full-width windows. Is this even something to be concerned about? Are certain categories always one way or the other? Thank you.

All Viking cabins are outboard with a balcony, so each cabin has a sliding or hinged door to acess the balcony. Viking does not have any cabins that have a single window on the outboard bulkhead.

Personally, having seen many windows break through impact from the seas and also racking of the ship, I would favour multiple smaller windows. The amount of space taken up by the frames is minimal.

An example is the Viking Polaris incident, where they lost a number of the larger windows. Ships have sailed for many years with portholes in these locations, with a steel deadlight to secure in rough weather. No issues.

• Like 2

Thanks to all. I didn't know where to start. In the meantime, I have looked at videos of the different categories, and Penthouse Veranda looks like the sweet spot for us. A little extra square footage for all the days at sea. All we care about is disconnecting from everything, reading, looking at the ocean, and whatever we find on the ship to do. Food and beverage. Late 2026. 

In the Penthouse Veranda category, are there any "secret" cabins that are better, or any to avoid?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Thanks to all. I didn't know where to start. In the meantime, I have looked at videos of the different categories, and Penthouse Veranda looks like the sweet spot for us. A little extra square footage for all the days at sea. All we care about is disconnecting from everything, reading, looking at the ocean, and whatever we find on the ship to do. Food and beverage. Late 2026. 

In the Penthouse Veranda category, are there any "secret" cabins that are better, or any to avoid?

Couple thoughts:   very far forward may leave you bouncing up and down a bit more.  PV's on 6th floor in the back may be subject to noise from the decks outside World Cafe, as the staff often moves the chairs and tables around in early morning hours (4 AM-5 AM) to get ready for breakfast.  Some it bothers and some claim they hear nothing.  Personally we enjoy the 5th deck - cabins 5082/83 and a few back from there.  Rooms above and below you.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

We were in a PV under the World Cafe.  It was very difficult to get good photos from the balcony because if was covered by the "wings" of the Aquavit.  But PVs are very nice if you can find the perfect location.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

We were in a PV under the World Cafe.  It was very difficult to get good photos from the balcony because if was covered by the "wings" of the Aquavit.  But PVs are very nice if you can find the perfect location.   

Agreed. We experienced the same IN South America. We were able to go for a junior suite on deck 8 during a recent transatlantic and absolutely loved it, especially because of the draped off area and accessibility to the Explorers Lounge. That said we will not always be able to afford or else there will be limited availability and would readily book a PV because, after all, we would at least be on a Viking ship and with that fabulous Nordic Spa! Heck, we haven’t been in a DV but would readily take that, too!

• Like 1