Booking onboard questions

Hello,
We will be cruising Celebrity next month for the first time since 2019, and I wanted to understand exactly how the “booking new cruise while onboard” works.

I think that I understand that if you don’t have a specific cruise in mind, you can buy a certificate for the reduced deposit of $100 pax.

Your perk is NR OBC up to $500 depending on cabin class and cruise length.

You have up to 6 months to pick the specific cruise you want?  

If you don’t use the certificate within 1 year, they will refund your $100 deposit.

After you book a cruise, there is no cancelation fee (like normal) if you cancel before 90 days of sailing.

You have a one time option to move your selected cruise to a different sailing without losing your OBC.

I think if you book a specific cruise while onboard, you have 30 days to transfer to a TA of your choice if you ask for the booking to be in your own name rather than the TA you had used for your current cruise.

What options do you have re TA assignment if you take the future cruise certificate instead?  Can you assign the TA once you book the cruise, say 5 months down the road?

My current TA may be about to retire and is certainly far less responsive than he used to be (even from 3 months ago) so I would like to keep my options open rather than automatically give it to him.

Please let me know if my above assumptions are correct.

TIA for your help.

These terms can and do change.  I would suggest you take your questions with you and meet with a Future Cruise Consultant on board where you will get the most up to date terms and conditions.

• Like 1

We were on the Reflection in November and here are the hand-outs regarding Book Later.  See the fine print on the bottom of the second page.   Maybe someone currently on board could post the newest hand-out to see if there are any changes.  

Regarding your TA, I would choose a replacement TA before your cruise and have Celebrity transfer it to that person.   Then you won't have to worry about whether you can transfer the cruise to your TA 5 months from now.    

Here's also a press release:  https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/989/celebrity-cruises-presents-celebrity-future-cruise-vacations/

001x.jpg

002x.jpg

Just picked up a ‘Future Cruise’ flyer. Indeed, in the fine print on the back, it specifically says “Book Later Program reservations require non-refundable deposit fares.”

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BettyCruiser said:

Beginning this year they no longer refund the future deposit if not used.

Would be interested in finding out where you heard or read that.    I've heard it a few times and just went into my folder -  I booked two and used one so far.     I also have a copy of the Book Later Form -

It say I have 6 month to book something and after that I can not take advantage of the offer.  

It then says if I do not choose a cruise within the 6 month period my deposit will be refunded.

IMG_3026.thumb.jpeg.ce5335e3ebf3abe145de7af3a72cc001.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Just picked up a ‘Future Cruise’ flyer. Indeed, in the fine print on the back, it specifically says “Book Later Program reservations require non-refundable deposit fares.”

Could you provide a source for you statement.

I know for a fact you can book either a Refundable or Non-Refundable.   I've done it.    Even when booking with an agent on the ship they will ask if you wish a Refundable or Non-Refundable deposit.   The Refundable Fares are often $1,000 + more so not really relevant.      I specifically did it as it was as ghost booking waiting for the new cruises to be released and knowing I would move it to a new non-refunable cruise.

• Like 1

Of course, @Jim_Iain! So happy finally to help YOU out, as you have been tremendously helpful to me!

This is on the flyer I got today from Future Cruises:

(Book NOW can be refundable, but Book Later requires non-refundable. See lines 5 & 6.)2633907B-C658-4BFC-A92B-8344B7E30BA5.thumb.jpeg.f51ebf02c6b0734a1dec7b6208fa242e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Of course, @Jim_Iain! So happy finally to help YOU out, as you have been tremendously helpful to me!

This is on the flyer I got today from Future Cruises:

(Book NOW can be refundable, but Book Later requires non-refundable. See lines 5 & 6.)

Interesting.    As usual Celebrity is consistently inconsistent.   Mine which was from December 19th says

When you make a Booking Now, or convert a Booking Later reservation to a confirmed booking you will have the option of booking under a Non-Refundable Fare or a Refundable Fare

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

They are changing things so often these days that what have in November or last week could easily be different next week.  

You are 100% correct.    It is a good warning to all of us to read - even the fine print to make sure we know what is being offered.

Back to the OP.    Recently they no longer offer the 1 year to make a future booking and have only offering a 6 month period to book.

• Like 1

I posted this on another thread as well. We were just on the Reflection on a B2B over Christmas and NYE.  We waited until the second cruise to go to Next Cruise.  The agent told us that as of 1/1/24, book later deposits are now non-refundable if not used.  If we had done it during the first cruise it would have been refundable.  We left without booking.

• Like 1

@dogsdogs, @Jim_Iain, @DingoMom, @BettyCruiser, @kokopelli-az, @jelayne

Thanks so much for your responses!

I think my personal take-away is that if you already have a particular cruise in mind, there is some benefit to booking onboard, but the Book Later deal is no longer as beneficial.  And conditions change so frequently I had better read the fine print of the LATEST flyer I get once onboard!

• Like 1

Just another data point: on our Dec 22 2023 Solstice sailing out of Singapore, the Future Cruise forms require a $100 non refundable deposit for Book Later (photo).  

Also Celebrity's online Book Later form has the same non-refundable language: link

image.png.81ae4d4ba212a4e07f224b3ddda1eb8e.png

Edited by mahdnc

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are 100% correct.    It is a good warning to all of us to read - even the fine print to make sure we know what is being offered.

Back to the OP.    Recently they no longer offer the 1 year to make a future booking and have only offering a 6 month period to book.

To clarify further, I personally went to the Future Cruise Desk while on board in December.  The rep specifically told me that after the New Year, the Future Cruise Certs would be non-refundable 😞

That’s another disappointing change..I did 2 book later deposits in October…when I did them they told me it was refundable…I don’t think I still have the flyer…I hope it is not an issue if I don’t attach it to a booking and want my money back 

@mahdnc & @dunedinmaiden

Thanks for the further confirmation.

@mahdnc screenprint prompted me to have a second look at the last 2 pages of my guest ticket booklet (printed 3 days ago).  It doesn’t say “non refundable “ deposit, just “reduced”.😁

As @jelayne wrote - conditions can change so rapidly.   It seems Not even Celebrity themselves can keep up.

IMG_2387.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

To clarify further, I personally went to the Future Cruise Desk while on board in December.  The rep specifically told me that after the New Year, the Future Cruise Certs would be non-refundable 😞

Thanks for clarity.    I certainly will never buy one with those terms.  

42 minutes ago, ColoradoCruiser88 said:

@mahdnc & @dunedinmaiden

Thanks for the further confirmation.

@mahdnc screenprint prompted me to have a second look at the last 2 pages of my guest ticket booklet (printed 3 days ago).  It doesn’t say “non refundable “ deposit, just “reduced”.😁

As @jelayne wrote - conditions can change so rapidly.   It seems Not even Celebrity themselves can keep up.

Interesting to  see what it says on the next page  under -  By Signing below, I acknowledge and authorize:  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to  see what it says on the next page  under -  By Signing below, I acknowledge and authorize:  

🤦🏻‍♀️ Thanks for asking that!  That’s why I originally posted the question above - I was all confused.

IMG_2388.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ColoradoCruiser88 said:

🤦🏻‍♀️ Thanks for asking that!  That’s why I originally posted the question above - I was all confused.

IMG_2388.jpeg

Yours in 2024 reads slightly difference than mine -  On mine if I don't pick a cruise within 6 months my $100 Book Later Deposit will be refunded.

image.thumb.png.ac91a488a4c81003cd33636f06ed54b9.png

I did notice that in the bottom terms they have an error -  On your terms you signed it says will be refunded in 1 year if not used and in the fine print they type the word "one" end o sentence but then put in number 6 months.

image.thumb.png.80a9798210c3aa8a0a0f1c7301bfb571.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did notice that in the bottom terms they have an error -  On your terms you signed it says will be refunded in 1 year if not used and in the fine print they type the word "one" end o sentence but then put in number 6 months.

It’s a little scary there are so many minute details to watch out for!  I’m less inclined to buy a FC certificate now.  But will perhaps hold off final judgement on booking a new cruise while onboard until I maybe talk to them (I have never thought of doing that before on prior cruises).  That is assuming I find a suitable cruise ahead of time.

We also do Book Later since there is no benefit to sitting there at the Future Cruise desk to secure a date when I can do that on my own in a matter of minutes. If Book Later certs require a nonrefundable deposit they are just making it more work since I would then pick a sail date at a refundable rate and potentially change multiple times. Also unclear what would happen since I typically transfer to a group rate which is by default refundable. I do understand group rates have changed to less favorable terms also. I'll lose out on the OBC but next time I will probably forego booking this way until there is more clarity.