Need help understanding cabin upgrade "counteroffer" from MSC...

Toddcan

We love aft cabins too but would pick YC over them anytime. Other perks include priority embarkation and disembarkation, and a bottomless refrigerator full of drinks and snacks in your room. (The only thing you can't have more of without a charge is the Toblerone.)

We like to show up at the terminal early when in YC because you get complimentary snacks and drinks while you wait, the priority embarkation keeps things streamlined and easy, and you'll be first on the ship and have more time to enjoy on embarkation day. Plus lunch in the YC restaurant is SO VERY MUCH better than wading through the crowds at the buffet.

If the extra money might be a pain point then yeah only can determine that. YC is usually much cheaper than other lines' suite-exclusive areas, but even for YC that's a great deal.

I've not done YC, but I'd like to at some point.  I am far from poor, but generally, I tend to be frugal (not cheap, there is a difference).

That said, their offer seems reasonable.  I'd give it a shot.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:57 PM, Toddcan said:

2. Internet.

Just a tip. Try the browse package (if in YC) for 2 devices each. Some have reported they can view Youtube videos with just the complimentary wifi. We never have been able to view Youtube with browse. The upgrade to streaming for the same two devices cost us $70 for the week in the YC.

In case anyone else has these questions, I am providing updates

Update: I pulled the trigger and accepted their counter offer.  However, I was expecting that it was a given - that their counter offer would be accepted right away. But, this is not the case. All it did was to modify my Upgrade Bid to the amount in their counteroffer. Weird. They said they can accept the bid up to 2 days before sailing.  I suppose I had a different view of what a counter-offer meant. 

So, here's the follow up question -If I am am accepted, I would cancel:

• Internet 
  • Specialty Restaurants 3-night package
  • Cabana on Ocean Cay

Can I cancel all of the above extras if I find out 48 hours before sailing that I got the YC upgrade?  

59 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

In case anyone else has these questions, I am providing updates

Update: I pulled the trigger and accepted their counter offer.  However, I was expecting that it was a given - that their counter offer would be accepted right away. But, this is not the case. All it did was to modify my Upgrade Bid to the amount in their counteroffer. Weird. They said they can accept the bid up to 2 days before sailing.  I suppose I had a different view of what a counter-offer meant. 

So, here's the follow up question -If I am am accepted, I would cancel:

• Internet 
  • Specialty Restaurants 3-night package
  • Cabana on Ocean Cay

Can I cancel all of the above extras if I find out 48 hours before sailing that I got the YC upgrade?  

Ok, if I am reading this correctly they contacted you on January 17th; it's now Feb 5th (though you don't say exactly when you pulled the trigger).  From my experience if you had responded within the first day it would have been a done deal, but by waiting they have put you back into the pool and basically increased your bid. 

Again, this is from my experience that it's a "take it or lose it" now situation.  (Was countered in December and accepted it immediately.  My credit card was charged about 30 minutes later).  

28 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Ok, if I am reading this correctly they contacted you on January 17th; it's now Feb 5th (though you don't say exactly when you pulled the trigger).  From my experience if you had responded within the first day it would have been a done deal, but by waiting they have put you back into the pool and basically increased your bid. 

Again, this is from my experience that it's a "take it or lose it" now situation.  (Was countered in December and accepted it immediately.  My credit card was charged about 30 minutes later).  

Ah, ok, that makes some sense. The dates are correct.  But, this morning, when I clicked on "Accept offer", it went to another page that confirmed - and I did this. But, it just put me back in the pool it looks like. - but the counter offer is the same price - nothing changed.  oh well. 

Update - in case anyone is reading this, or it applies to anyone else.

3 days ago, I clicked on "accept offer" for their counter offer.  I guess because it was a few weeks after their original counter - it was not accepted right away.  

Well, today - 3 days later, the confirmation came in.  We now have Yacht Club Deluxe Suite (upgraded from Fantastica Deluxe Balcony).  I suppose the crap shoot is now - where will our cabin be. We were corner aft, which we love, so I suspect the view won't be as nice - but at least we get to experience Yacht Club.   

I understand we won't be assigned out cabin # until later? 

FYI - because Yacht club gives upgraded experiences... 

I will be cancelling the cabana I had booked on Ocean Cay

I will be cancelling our specialty dining package

I will be cancelling our internet package 

• Like 1

I just checked my booking, and we were actually assigned a cabin:  18008. I'll do some reseach.  

But, this part puzzles me: The reservation says we have the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite (Cabin 18008), but under the "Experience" section, it says "Fantastica Experience Benefits" - should this not say "Yacht Club"?? 

5 hours ago, Toddcan said:

I just checked my booking, and we were actually assigned a cabin:  18008. I'll do some reseach.  

But, this part puzzles me: The reservation says we have the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite (Cabin 18008), but under the "Experience" section, it says "Fantastica Experience Benefits" - should this not say "Yacht Club"?? 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you booked Fantastica and you got Fantastica.  BUT...because you are in the YC, they won't differentiate you from the other YC guests, as I understand it.  So technically, Fantastica.  In practical terms, I believe you get all YC benefits.

To contrast that, years ago, I booked Fantastica and was "upgraded" to Aurea.  And at that time, Aurea included a drink package.  But I didn't get that part, as I had only booked Fantastica.  BTW, I put Aurea in quotes, as the cabin itself was inferior to the Fantastica cabin I'd initially booked.  In fact, later, they removed the Aurea designation from that specific cabin, which was in a bad location at the front of the ship.

Different situation for you, I believe.  Again, hopefully someone will correct me if this is not accurate.

Edited by Stockjock

21 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Update - in case anyone is reading this, or it applies to anyone else.

3 days ago, I clicked on "accept offer" for their counter offer.  I guess because it was a few weeks after their original counter - it was not accepted right away.  

Well, today - 3 days later, the confirmation came in.  We now have Yacht Club Deluxe Suite (upgraded from Fantastica Deluxe Balcony).  I suppose the crap shoot is now - where will our cabin be. We were corner aft, which we love, so I suspect the view won't be as nice - but at least we get to experience Yacht Club.   

I understand we won't be assigned out cabin # until later? 

FYI - because Yacht club gives upgraded experiences... 

I will be cancelling the cabana I had booked on Ocean Cay

I will be cancelling our specialty dining package

I will be cancelling our internet package 

Congratulations!  If I were you I would start watching YouTube videos of the YC and Fantastica and see what you would have had and what you now have.  

• Like 1

Hi everyone. We are 48 days away from our first MSC cruise…a transatlantic on Seaview from Rio de Janeiro. We booked 10 months ago…Fantastica experience … and kinda thought that by now we might receive an upgrade email offer as many others talk about on these forums. However, nothing yet!! While I understand that not everyone gets those offers, I am just wondering if it’s now too late to expect something like that ?🤔

On 2/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, Toddcan said:

I've been upgraded in the past to YC and yes, your paperwork might still show your initial experience, but rest assured you are in Yacht Club.

• Thanks 1