Newbie help required

McCruze

Hi all,

We are booked in for our first ever cruise in September on the sky princess leaving from Southampton, Im finding it a bit more baffling than just booking a normal flight and hotel type holiday.

I have downloaded the app and it lets us log in. I know it's months away but rightly or wrongly we thought we might book one of the speciality restaurants since we have read they book up quick. We have the princess premier package which includes 2 speciality meals and also $300 room credit. 

We tried booking for a couple of different times but it showed an error saying there was no availability. It finally let us book for 6pm. I added my credit card as it seemed to need one to book it. They took the money from my card instantly. Is this normal even though we have meals included and room credit. 

Any other tips about booking meals would be good. We would rather enjoy the speciality restaurants on sea days. Is that a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, McCruze said:

Hi all,

We are booked in for our first ever cruise in September on the sky princess leaving from Southampton, Im finding it a bit more baffling than just booking a normal flight and hotel type holiday.

I have downloaded the app and it lets us log in. I know it's months away but rightly or wrongly we thought we might book one of the speciality restaurants since we have read they book up quick. We have the princess premier package which includes 2 speciality meals and also $300 room credit. 

We tried booking for a couple of different times but it showed an error saying there was no availability. It finally let us book for 6pm. I added my credit card as it seemed to need one to book it. They took the money from my card instantly. Is this normal even though we have meals included and room credit. 

Any other tips about booking meals would be good. We would rather enjoy the speciality restaurants on sea days. Is that a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We are huge fans of the various Specialty restaurants and generally eat all our meals in them. Much quieter, better service etc than the loud and frenetic dining rooms. FWIW, we rarely ever book in advance of the cruise, preferring to use our on board credit to pay for them. The restaurants always keep a certain percentage of their SD tables "off-line" for on-board reservations, and we have never had an issue getting a table for 2. We always board as early as possible and head to each restaurant to book. There is also a "dine Line" phone number on the ship which you can use to make SD bookings as well once on board. Keep in mind that the most popular times disappear the fastest, we prefer to eat early so as to make the first Theater show at 7:30

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

There is also a "dine Line" phone number on the ship which you can use to make SD bookings as well once on board. 

The "Dine Line" is nice...after the first day. It takes forever to get them to answer on the first day...unless you're in a suite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The "Dine Line" is nice...after the first day. It takes forever to get them to answer on the first day...unless you're in a suite.

Absolutely agree. We usually just walk to each restaurant and do the bookings in person, but the few times we have resorted to the Dine Line, we were successful because we called it right after boarding, and we always try to be among the very first on the ship.

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The system function for reservations at specialty dining locations (or rather the charging for them when they are supposed to be included) has been an issue for a long time. Many people have run into this but as far as I know, nobody has had issues with getting it refunded to OBC once on board.

• Like 1

Are you taking the Sky Princess Canaries cruise from Southampton in September? We did it this year and it was fabulous though very choppy across the Bay of Biscay. Travel sickness tablets (just in case) are a must.

Edited by CaribNomad

It's the med cruise we are going on. I'm sure my wife will be taking sickness tablets with us just incase though. I think she has watched too many YouTube videos 😂

So it turns out we have the premium package which only includes the other restaurants, so that's why I got charged for the speciality booking. No harm done though and managed to book the other restaurants we fancy at good times. 

On 1/20/2024 at 2:06 AM, McCruze said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

First things first... Have you booked your flights and hotel? That is more important than your specialty dining, IMHO. We typically use EZAir through Princess. If the fare decreases, then you can get that. Air fare only increase so it is best to book that ASAP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

First things first... Have you booked your flights and hotel? That is more important than your specialty dining, IMHO. We typically use EZAir through Princess. If the fare decreases, then you can get that. Air fare only increase so it is best to book that ASAP.

We plan on driving down the day before and staying in one of the hotels that includes parking. Been quoted over £220 just for parking but can get b&b and 15nights parking for about £300

• Like 1

Holiday Inn right next to the dock do a package which includes B&B, parking and a taxi each way to the ship. I highly recommend asking for a room on a lower floor  as it’s a nightmare getting a lift. Suggest you ask the receptionist to store your luggage overnight and just take a carry on to the room so you can use the stairs.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Holiday Inn right next to the dock do a package which includes B&B, parking and a taxi each way to the ship. I highly recommend asking for a room on a lower floor  as it’s a nightmare getting a lift. Suggest you ask the receptionist to store your luggage overnight and just take a carry on to the room so you can use the stairs.  

Thanks for the info. We were looking at the holiday inn through the holidays extra website. I think it's about £300 for hotel and parking. I like the idea of just ditching the car at the hotel so we can start our holiday rather than faffing about with parking on the day if departure.

1 hour ago, McCruze said:

We plan on driving down the day before and staying in one of the hotels that includes parking. Been quoted over £220 just for parking but can get b&b and 15nights parking for about £300

Compared to the US, their parking prices are outrageous. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Compared to the US, their parking prices are outrageous. 

Its kind of the normal going rate for long stay - UK people are used to paying that at the airport as well. It is to discentivise driving and encourage public transport use. Plus scalping of course. 

7 hours ago, McCruze said:

My apologies......... I had no idea where you lived. Background is helpful. Under your icon, it just states "AM".

On 1/20/2024 at 10:06 AM, McCruze said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard.

There is roll call set up for Sky Princess for the 1st, you may get some useful info from some of the travellers.