Effects of Red Sea troubles

Jamesv281117

2 hours ago, onechaiguy said:

Wow. I wonder if they would send Resilient to the Caribbean next fall...

It would seem extreme to have 3 ships in the Caribbean/Bahamas.  I don't know how practical it would be, but I would almost hope they move one ship to South America for the winter season they would have had in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

It would seem extreme to have 3 ships in the Caribbean/Bahamas.  I don't know how practical it would be, but I would almost hope they move one ship to South America for the winter season they would have had in Australia.

South American itineraries would be very dangerous for my wallet. I am curious to see what their ultimate decision is on this and the Australia season is though.

5 minutes ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

Personally I think you could have 1 ship doing itineraries for as long as possible from the UK before going over to South America or somewhere west for winter.

There's lots of demand for virgin in the UK and have good relationships with Portsmouth who would welcome them with open arms. 

I expect you'vre seen this, but.....

Email from Virgin to First Mates regarding the Resilient Lady sailings from Australia back to Athens starting in March of 2024. Hopefully if you were on any of these sailings you have been notified already.
Ahoy First Mate,

As the safety and security of our Sailors and Crew is our #1 priority, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the decision to change Resilient Lady’s repositioning route to avoid the Red Sea. And with this, unfortunately, your Sailors’ voyages scheduled to set sail on March 27th, April 11th, and April 25th have been impacted. We’ll be reaching out to impacted Sailors later today, but we wanted to make sure that you have the inside intel first.

That being said, we’re pleased to share that Resilient Lady will now be sailing around the coast of Africa with a brand new route stopping in Eden and Fremantle (Perth) in Australia, Port Louis (Mauritius Islands), Durban and Cape Town (South Africa), Walvis Bay (Namibia), Praia (Cape Verde), Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Spain), Casablanca (Morocco), Barcelona (Spain), Valletta (Malta), as well as Santorini and Piraeus (Athens) in Greece — all with extended time at sea. See below for both the details on the itineraries as well as flexible rebooking and refund options if these changes don’t work for your Sailors for whatever reason at all.

ITINERARY #1
 Date: 3/27/2024 – 4/17/2024
 Itinerary Name: From Australia to South Africa
 Length: 21 Nights
 Ports: Sydney, Australia – Eden, Australia – Fremantle (Perth), Australia – Port Louis, Mauritius – Durban, South Africa – Cape Town, South Africa

ITINERARY #2
 Date: 4/17/2024 – 5/4/2024
 Itinerary Name: From Cape Town to Barcelona
 Length: 17 Nights
 Ports: Cape Town, South Africa – Walvis Bay, Namibia – Praia, Cape Verde – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain – Casablanca, Morocco – Barcelona, Spain

ITINERARY #3
 Date: 5/4/2024 – 5/9/2024
 Itinerary Name: Barcelona to Malta & Greece
 Length: 5 Nights
 Ports: Barcelona, Spain – Valletta, Malta – Santorini, Greece – Piraeus (Athens), Greece
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, giraffic said:

South American itineraries would be very dangerous for my wallet. I am curious to see what their ultimate decision is on this and the Australia season is though.

You and me both.  A South American cruise is on my list to do at some point so I'd have to give it a serious look if they went with this option.

In an ideal world (for me), they would put Resilient Lady in the Bahamas or Carribean, then send Scarlet Lady down to South America.  I've been on Resilient once and will be on her again in September (out of Portsmouth) so it would be nice to find a good route on which to switch to Scarlet Lady.  Basically get some different shows.

34 minutes ago, Jamesv281117 said:

Personally I think you could have 1 ship doing itineraries for as long as possible from the UK before going over to South America or somewhere west for winter.

There's lots of demand for virgin in the UK and have good relationships with Portsmouth who would welcome them with open arms. 

Resilient Lady is already in the UK until late September 2024. There is no point them keeping the ship there and then cancelling the repositioning to Barcelona and onward to Athens (which is a sold out cruise). The UK weather isn’t great in November and the VV ships aren’t designed for cooler temperatures.

Edited by jon81uk

1 minute ago, jon81uk said:

Resilient Lady is already in the UK until late September 2024. There is no point them keeping the ship there and then cancelling the repositioning to Barcelona and onward to Athens (which is a sold out cruise). The UK weather isn’t great in November and the VV ships aren’t designed for cooler temperatures.

I don't think it's clear where it's going after Athens though now they've stated already they're reviewing where they will position it which is why I think anywhere west is better. 

2 hours ago, Jamesv281117 said:

It's a really good question tbf! 

They're telling me you can only choose one leg. I will probably purchase the 5-night 3rd leg and continue on to Athens. Seems to me they broke it up this way intentionally to recoup some costs. A Barcelona to Athens leg as the start of the Med season will attract a lot of new sailors.

18 minutes ago, Chrish2 said:

Any hints yet of launch price for the three voyages announced? Have a MNVV credit and considering the 5 night one.

Not yet and I called to ask. We all have to be rebooked by the 16th, so I presume they'll go on sale then. 

Edited by DAP2

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Email from Virgin to First Mates regarding the Resilient Lady sailings from Australia back to Athens starting in March of 2024. Hopefully if you were on any of these sailings you have been notified already.

It should also be noted that none of those three new itineraries will be offered to the general public. Only those impacted by the changes can rebook on one of those. Some of those ports are not well equipped to handle big ships so a less than sold out ship is apparently preferred. 

7 hours ago, Jamesv281117 said:

Doesn't say yet how the nee voyages will be split but I imagine it would have to be Sydney to Cape Town, Cape Town to Casablanca and Casablanca to Athens.

Cape Town to Barcelona I believe; then a very short cruise to Athens via Malta. My cruises are offering a reduced fare for that leg. 

We were doing the 3 legs right through the Red Sea as we all know now changed with a new re routing via SA 

What's the Indian Ocean LIKE t this time of year and how many sea days from Perth to Cape Town 

8 hours ago, cantgetin said:

expect you'vre seen this, but.....

Are you able to post the email to First Mates in full please? I'd like to see if they mention rebooking options for those who booked this after a cancelled BL sailing. There is some chatter that we can choose any voyage but it would be great to see this in writing from VV before I pick up the phone to speak to dreaded Sailor Services in Miami 🤪

Ahoy First Mate,

As the safety and security of our Sailors and Crew is our #1 priority, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the decision to change Resilient Lady’s repositioning route to avoid the Red Sea. And with this, unfortunately, your Sailors’ voyages scheduled to set sail on March 27th, April 11th, and April 25th have been impacted. We’ll be reaching out to impacted Sailors later today, but we wanted to make sure that you have the inside intel first.

That being said, we’re pleased to share that Resilient Lady will now be sailing around the coast of Africa with a brand new route stopping in Eden and Fremantle (Perth) in Australia, Port Louis (Mauritius Islands), Durban and Cape Town (South Africa), Walvis Bay (Namibia), Praia (Cape Verde), Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Spain), Casablanca (Morocco), Barcelona (Spain), Valletta (Malta), as well as Santorini and Piraeus (Athens) in Greece — all with extended time at sea. See below for both the details on the itineraries as well as flexible rebooking and refund options if these changes don’t work for your Sailors for whatever reason at all.

ITINERARY #1
 Date: 3/27/2024 – 4/17/2024
 Itinerary Name: From Australia to South Africa
 Length: 21 Nights
 Ports: Sydney, Australia – Eden, Australia – Fremantle (Perth), Australia – Port Louis, Mauritius – Durban, South Africa – Cape Town, South Africa

ITINERARY #2
 Date: 4/17/2024 – 5/4/2024
 Itinerary Name: From Cape Town to Barcelona
 Length: 17 Nights
 Ports: Cape Town, South Africa – Walvis Bay, Namibia – Praia, Cape Verde – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain – Casablanca, Morocco – Barcelona, Spain

ITINERARY #3
 Date: 5/4/2024 – 5/9/2024
 Itinerary Name: Barcelona to Malta & Greece
 Length: 5 Nights
 Ports: Barcelona, Spain – Valletta, Malta – Santorini, Greece – Piraeus (Athens), Greece

With these changes, we also want to make sure they have as many options as possible in terms of rebooking or getting a refund. Our hope is that both epic new itineraries and flexible offers not only show just how much your Sailors and your partnership mean to us, but also give them incredible getaways to look forward to.

Please see the details below so you can help them select the best option:

Offer 1 — Rebook Our New Repositioning Voyages - With Price Guarantee
If your Sailors choose any of our new repositioning voyages (available to book starting on February 10th), we will protect their original voyage fare as long as it's in the same cabin category. Plus, we'll still honor any previous promotions they had when they first booked, including the Bar Tab bonus.

Offer 2 — Refund: 100% of Voyage Fare
Should your Sailors decide not to rebook at this time, they have the option to request a full refund of the total amount paid, or we will automatically process a refund starting February 16th.

The refund amount will go back to their original form of payment.
Again, we’re sorry for the inconvenience. We truly appreciate your patience and kindness through this process, and we can't wait to see your Sailors on board soon.

Your Virgin Voyages Crew

Edited by cantgetin

Whilst it is important for all those people travelling in the next few months to know what is happening it is also just as important for us Australians who were what now looks as stupid enough to purchase a cruise for our summer later this year and start of 2025. To take down all the cruises doesn’t give me much confidence that they will now go ahead especially as Resilient Lady is marked down to be in St Maarten for December 2024. 
I will not be accepting any cruise credit if they cancel and expect a full refund along with other travel expenses I have outlaid already. Most Australians will not travel halfway around the world to use a credit and perhaps Virgin is hoping for just that!

• Like 1

Just now, wintrev said:

Whilst it is important for all those people travelling in the next few months to know what is happening it is also just as important for us Australians who were what now looks as stupid enough to purchase a cruise for our summer later this year and start of 2025. To take down all the cruises doesn’t give me much confidence that they will now go ahead especially as Resilient Lady is marked down to be in St Maarten for December 2024. 
I will not be accepting any cruise credit if they cancel and expect a full refund along with other travel expenses I have outlaid already. Most Australians will not travel halfway around the world to use a credit and perhaps Virgin is hoping for just that!

They suggested they would make an announcement soon on those itineraries but think they would be very reluctant to go ahead with a planned crossing of the Suez after this episode 

Agree but if that is the case then Australia would not be getting any cruise lines visiting us for a very long time. There are other ways to get to Australia - yet again we miss out just like getting the oldest ships always sent to us. It was nice to go on Resilient and experience a new ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splatt2010 said:

Are you able to post the email to First Mates in full please? I'd like to see if they mention rebooking options for those who booked this after a cancelled BL sailing. There is some chatter that we can choose any voyage but it would be great to see this in writing from VV before I pick up the phone to speak to dreaded Sailor Services in Miami 🤪

If you were impacted by the changes, then you should have the email. It was sent to all Sailors on the impacted sailings.

1 hour ago, wintrev said:

I will not be accepting any cruise credit if they cancel and expect a full refund along with other travel expenses I have outlaid already.

Don't expect VV to cover any other travel expenses unless you purchased their Voyage Protection and your other travel expenses were booked through VV. That's what independent Travel Insurance is for. The cruise has been altered due to unsafe conditions for travel in a select area which all cruise lines have the right to do per the cruise contract. The cruise is not cancelled entirely. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Don't expect VV to cover any other travel expenses unless you purchased their Voyage Protection and your other travel expenses were booked through VV. That's what independent Travel Insurance is for. The cruise has been altered due to unsafe conditions for travel in a select area which all cruise lines have the right to do per the cruise contract. The cruise is not cancelled entirely. 

Walter, will private travel insurance cover this or will it be deemed an "act of war" which is sometimes exempt from policies?

5 hours ago, wintrev said:

Agree but if that is the case then Australia would not be getting any cruise lines visiting us for a very long time. There are other ways to get to Australia - yet again we miss out just like getting the oldest ships always sent to us. It was nice to go on Resilient and experience a new ship.

Don't other cruise lines have ships that stick to the Pacific (e.g. cruises from Australia to Hawaii, then over to Alaskan cruises and such)?  I assume Celebrity, Princess and such will still have cruises out of Australia so Australia will still have "some" cruises.  (Though, as mentioned, they likely don't use the "newer" ships for that).  Not something Virgin could have pursued without wrecking their already booked Mediterranean cruises, but at least Australia shouldn't be entirely shut out from other lines.

Pure speculation, but this would be a Brilliant way to start the Brilliant Lady's career. Launch her from Miami to Australia via the Panama Canal, Hawaii, and the South Pacific.  Then have Brilliant sail the Aussie 2024-2025 season.  The Resilient can finish up her Med Season and sail back to San Juan and base out of there for 2024-2025 Winter.  Those sailings seem to be very popular and getting nice reviews. Maybe mix in some longer sailings that include Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. 

• Like 3

Wow that was easy. Perhaps shore side Sailor Services are improving. A quick online chat to swap voyage (I’m one of those twice cancelled sailors) and within hour have email confirmation,  voyage showing in my account and all previous loot/tab transferred over. Not bad going VV. 

• Like 2