What Vegans Eat (Luminae, Tuscan Grille, Spa Cafe)

tjunmin

My spouse is vegan, so I get my fair share of exposure to vegan food, and the challenges that vegans experience in their pursuit of a healthier lifestyle.

In our first cruise post-pandemic last month, it was a pleasant surprise to find out that the MDR now offers a vegan menu. This is a welcoming change, making it more inclusive and easier for passengers to enjoy traveling around the world, while having their dietary needs looked after.

In our sailing last month on the Connie, here are some of the photos of food served to my spouse in Luminae and Tuscan Grille [photo album], as well as a sample of the vegan-friendly options at the Spa Cafe.

In our personal experience, there is a wide variation on the range of vegan food offerings at Luminae, as the chefs have the latitude to exercise their creative minds crafting vegan dishes. For instance, in our last two cruises pre-pandemic in 2019, these were the vegan dishes served to my spouse at Luminae [photo album 1][photo album 2].

Happy (delicious) sailings to all the vegans out there!

Food looks absolutely delicious, much better than the vegetarian options in Luminae which there is most often only one choice. I am pescatarian so luckily have more options but the vegan menu has never been offered  so will ask in a couple of weeks on our next cruise. Lovely photos and thank you so much for sharing. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Do you just ask for it? I'm not a vegan but sometimes I do like to eat vegan dishes / reduce the amount of meat I eat.

It is my understanding that in the MDR you have to ask for the vegan menu.

At Luminae, my spouse talks to the chef on the first day of the cruise, and vegan meals are taken care for the remainder of the sailing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plumo said:

Food looks absolutely delicious, much better than the vegetarian options in Luminae which there is most often only one choice. I am pescatarian so luckily have more options but the vegan menu has never been offered  so will ask in a couple of weeks on our next cruise. Lovely photos and thank you so much for sharing. 

If you are traveling in The Retreat and trust the chefs, you have the option to ask the maître d' to talk to the chef at the beginning of your sailing - my spouse usually does it on the first day, after lunch - and ask him/her to prepare pescatarian meals for the entire duration of your cruise, and you'll be looked after. My spouse asks for tasty and nutritionally balanced meals; some chefs are more successful fulfilling his request than others, YMMV.