Embarkation Day question

tbmrt

Leaving from San Juan

Upon entering terminal...Put airplane mode and bluetooth on?   Then try to sign onto ship's wifi to book things?  Should we be able to book shows, etc., in terminal (Splash of Romance) or wait til we are actually onboard?

3 hours ago, tbmrt said:

Leaving from San Juan

Upon entering terminal...Put airplane mode and bluetooth on?   Then try to sign onto ship's wifi to book things?  Should we be able to book shows, etc., in terminal (Splash of Romance) or wait til we are actually onboard?

It depends.  Sorry to be troublesome, but early on, we could switch to the ship's wifi while in the terminal.  However, in the last year, we have actually needed to be ON the ship.  It can't hurt  to try if you end up waiting in the terminal.

• Like 1

Hello. Just did the VV Valiant Lady out of San Juan. 

I was sitting about halfway across the space of the terminal, inside, away from the ship.

I connected to the wifi...

... did not try to login...

(in android you can set the wifi to "use as-is" and that works best to maintain the connection. It won't let you properly login until you're thru the check-in process, anyway.)

... don't worry about BT, not needed.

If you can connect to the ship wifi as above, the app /will/ work and you will be able to book food and shows.

Believe me, well worth the concentration... I was able to book all of our dining and shows with no issue.

If the app cuts out, just reestablish the wifi, use as-is, and reopen the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airacobra said:

I was sitting about halfway across the space of the terminal, inside, away from the ship.

(in android you can set the wifi to "use as-is" and that works best to maintain the connection. It won't let you properly login until you're thru the check-in process, anyway.)

If you can connect to the ship wifi as above, the app /will/ work and you will be able to book food and shows.

Believe me, well worth the concentration... I was able to book all of our dining and shows with no issue.

I was sitting right next to this gentleman, and I wasn't able to connect with my iPhone, so YMMV.

4 hours ago, airacobra said:

I have an android, I looked this up online, but couldn't find out how to use "as is"  Can you give me a bit more info.

Tx

So when you go to connect to the ship's wifi, it'll bring up the login screen when it says "sign in to connect" or whatnot in a notification bubble.

Try to login (unsuccessfully) and it should force the notification bubble to change text and it should have a "settings" gear icon (or you may have to long hold the notification.) Within that menu, it should have an option that says something along the lines of "use network as-is" for you to select.

(You may not have to even try to login; I believe I made it stay connected without trying to login as it did drop on me a few times as the signal was weak.)

That will keep the connection locked in. You can then fire up the VV app, which will recognize the ship wifi and (as long as you had your VV app configured and your login saved) your login will automatically be recognized... The app will work and allow you to perform all functions.

You don't need BT on.

You don't need to be in airplane mode.

(I was actually connected to T-Mobile when I connected to the "VirginVoyages-Sailor" wifi.)

You just need to connect to it and maintain a half-decent signal strength.

I'm sorry I don't have a reference screenshot. I hope my description helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, this may sound like a daft question (first time VV cruiser here) - what login credentials do we use to sign into the ship's  network please? Are they provided to us upon check-in or is it just our VV login/password please? 

Nothing provided at check in.  Email, reservation number (which you already have from booking), password, your date of birth.  Hypothetically, you only need to do this once and it should last the whole cruise....but don't count on that.  If you are lucky and have the app from pre-cruise, they system will recognize that and you only have to log on thru the ship's internet which is something about mermaid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

Nothing provided at check in.  Email, reservation number (which you already have from booking), password, your date of birth.  Hypothetically, you only need to do this once and it should last the whole cruise....but don't count on that.  If you are lucky and have the app from pre-cruise, they system will recognize that and you only have to log on thru the ship's internet which is something about mermaid.

Perfect - thanks so much @cantgetin. We sail this weekend, so this info is very useful.

2 hours ago, Luvsbooks said:

Sorry, this may sound like a daft question (first time VV cruiser here) - what login credentials do we use to sign into the ship's  network please? Are they provided to us upon check-in or is it just our VV login/password please? 

I think it’s just cabin number, name and date of birth. Very similar to logging in to hotel WiFi, it’s linked to your room not a password login.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the login credentials are that simple... cabin number and birth date. However, you will not be able to properly login to the wifi until you properly check-in at the cruise terminal. The login will fail, though you will be able to select "use connection as-is" on your device.

The app will simply work correctly (beforehand) as long as your device is connected to the ship's wifi (as-is.) So please make sure your VV app is in proper order before you get to the terminal.

Edited by airacobra
Typo.
  • Thanks 1

Quite welcome. Might I note that, from the cruise port, Old San Juan is all uphill on the way in... sometimes significantly so. Good shoes are recommended given the variability of sidewalk and street surfaces.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:28 PM, Swells1 said:

I was sitting right next to this gentleman, and I wasn't able to connect with my iPhone, so YMMV.

My Android worked, SIL's iphone did not. No idea if it is a phone thing but beween four of us, we got everyhting booked while siting insde waiting.  Took awhile though!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, airacobra said:

Quite welcome. Might I note that, from the cruise port, Old San Juan is all uphill on the way in... sometimes significantly so. Good shoes are recommended given the variability of sidewalk and street surfaces.

Or cab up as close as you can get to the castle (There are two, remember, so decide which to see first) and walk down through Old San Juan. Definitely wear good walking shoes.  BTW the same pass will get you entry into both. And if you are an NPS passholder, bring it because it works.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

Is the terminal VV uses within walking distance to Old San Juan? 

Yes. It is Pier 4 terminal. But it may be hot and there are cobblestones, so not sure it would be fun to haul luggage.  If you walk fast, maybe 30 minutes between El Morro to the Virgin terminal. Remember there are two forts.  It's not a bad walk between them.

https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Edited by Gretchendz
new information
  • Like 1