Review Oceania Vista

English Tim

2 hours ago, English Tim said:

Thanks for your review! We were on November 16 night Vista cruise. So many things to like about Vista. We will be returning to her later this month on a cruise we had already booked, but sadly we will not cruise on her again due to paper thin walls between the cabins. Could hear even low TV volume at night, but also conversations of neighbors. Truly unfortunate.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, edgee said:

Thanks for your review! We were on November 16 night Vista cruise. So many things to like about Vista. We will be returning to her later this month on a cruise we had already booked, but sadly we will not cruise on her again due to paper thin walls between the cabins. Could hear even low TV volume at night, but also conversations of neighbors. Truly unfortunate.

Interesting that you should say about the walls. We could hear our neighbours TV in the middle of the night sometimes and I assumed they must be hard of hearing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Interesting...we just disembarked on 1/19 and didn't hear neighbors on either side at any time.  Maybe the luck of the draw??

We board for 11  night cruise on Jan. 31. We are hoping that the luck of the draw will be with us this time, but even if it is, I doubt we will be cruising on Vista again. Too big a risk of us not getting sleep and significantly hampering our enjoyment if the cruise.

• Like 3

Interesting, thank you!

I have looked at Vista but must admit to being slightly put off by the ‘chair hogging’ and the ‘thin walls’. Maybe worth staying with the older ships?

Seabourn is fast becoming my line of choice but only at the right price!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Interesting, thank you!

I have looked at Vista but must admit to being slightly put off by the ‘chair hogging’ and the ‘thin walls’. Maybe worth staying with the older ships?

Seabourn is fast becoming my line of choice but only at the right price!

I guess I am out of touch but I never understand the appeal of the sitting on lounge chairs around the pool if you have a private veranda.  I only go to the pool when I am going into the hot tub and pool. After I am done, I go back to my room.

To me, the pool is noisy with music and people and too public. But I am an introvert and would rather have privacy.  I also don't drink alcohol which I assume adds to the appeal of sitting by the pool.

But I do agree that the chair hogs on Vista are a problem.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, edgee said:

We board for 11  night cruise on Jan. 31. We are hoping that the luck of the draw will be with us this time, but even if it is, I doubt we will be cruising on Vista again. Too big a risk of us not getting sleep and significantly hampering our enjoyment if the cruise.

We were on Vista in December never heard a sound from either of our neighbors.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

We had the noise problem on TA in a concierge cabin.  There was a previous thread on the issue.  It is a major problem.

11 hours ago, edgee said:

+1 . Never experienced on 4 cruises on Riviera, but on our Vista cruise had to wear noise cancelling headphones because our neighbors had their TV on whenever they were in the room. The other obvious solution was to turn our TV on. We resorted to turning on the NAV channel just to have the Music drown out the TV from the room next door. Not ideal. The problem was not that it was on very loud. It could be heard through the wall even when it seemed like they had the volume at a reasonable level.

Our room was arranged so that the TV was back to back with our neighbors TV and our headboard back to back with the room on the other side. We never heard any noise from the headboard side.

If your neighbors don't use the TV much, you are good to go. 

No more Vista for us.

YMMV

Thanks for posting the link to your review.  Nothing you said was surprising (to me) since you are comparing a relatively normal cruise line (some would call it a Premium line) with two of the better luxury lines (SB and SS).  We happen to also be fans of Seabourn but do see O as just one more cruising option.

Funny thing about the availability of French Press coffee.  This is something we have long enjoyed in Seabourn's Collonade.  We recently cruised on the new Explora Journeys, a luxury line that truly emphasizes (with success) its cuisine.  But on that line they also did not offer French Press coffee even though they had French presses on display in at their coffee cafe.

Hank

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, edgee said:

See you on board

• Like 1

22 hours ago, edgee said:

22 hours ago, English Tim said:

Interesting that you should say about the walls. We could hear our neighbours TV in the middle of the night sometimes and I assumed they must be hard of hearing.

We are preparing ourselves for the television battle.  Had the same problem on a river cruise when there was a door between our cabin and the next.  Not miserable since we were probably the last to go to bed at night on that ship, but rather annoying to hear the neighbors conversations, over both of our TV sets, when getting ready for the evening entertainment and dinner.

Now that we are older, and go to bed earlier, I will be quite annoyed if a loud TV can be heard.  On the flip side, DH's hearing isn't as good as it was, so I will have to keep an eye on the volume in our own stateroom. 😃

edgee - Report back on your onboard experience.  We sail in March.

English Tim - Thank you for the review.  We have also noticed rude behavior from passengers (not only the elderly) on Oceania.  Some act as though they are entitled.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

edgee - Report back on your onboard experience.  We sail in March.

I have a concierge cabin on deck 9 for my upcoming 11 might cruise on Vista, same category and one deck down from where I was for 16 night cruise in November. I am sure the thin wall situation will be the same..just depends on luck of the draw as to my neighbor's degree of TV watching and their voice volume. That is why I am pretty sure this will be my last sailing on Vista.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

It was not in ours.  We were in PH1 11071.

Hi Gracie!  We have 11071 booked on Allura for a 17 day in 2025.  How did you like the suite?  The extended balcony?  The location?  We are eager to hear from someone with first hand experience!   Thank you so very much!

Edited by romaninflorida
  • Like 1

We were in 11073 on Vista, Miami to LA so we had the extended veranda and it was great. We did hear a bit of TV noise from 11071 but then our TV was on the same wall so perhaps they heard ours. It was not an issue however. The noise you will hear in 11071 or 11073 will be from your Room Stewards because their entrance to the Hallway is directly across from our doorways. They have to park their supply carts somewhere and for our trip it spent a lot of time between our rooms. Believe me, they did try to keep things as quiet as possible but anytime the crew had to enter the hallway, if you are noise sensitive, it might bother you. 
By far, the WORST room for noise, which was from above, was on Riviera, 11065 because it is below the below the doorways from the Terrace Cafe and Waves. The automatic doors can be noisy at 2:00 a.m. 🤬, especially if you are a light sleeper. 

Nothing is perfect and stuff happens so do your best to enjoy yourselves because the crews work very hard to make your trip a fantastic experience.

Mauibabes

7 hours ago, romaninflorida said:

Hi Gracie!  We have 11071 booked on Allura for a 17 day in 2025.  How did you like the suite?  The extended balcony?  The location?  We are eager to hear from someone with first hand experience!   Thank you so very much!

We actually liked it so much we booked the same room again on the Allura for a cruise in 2025.  The balcony is actually only half extended, which we really liked.  We had 2 chairs, a table and a lounge on it. The half extension gives you wonderful views forward that you don't get with the fully extended balconies (unless you hang your head over the railing).  Great location.  There is a staff work room across from the room but the amount of noise from it was minimal and never bothered us.   I would book this room over a fully extended balcony every time.

Edited by Gracie115

On 1/22/2024 at 6:18 PM, English Tim said:

@English Tim Thank you for your review.  Would you share which of the brands you mentioned you like the best and why.  Also, which ship in the other brand you liked.  I am booked on Oceania Vista for my next cruise in 2025.  I am thinking of a cruise in 2024.  Thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@English Tim Thank you for your review.  Would you share which of the brands you mentioned you like the best and why.  Also, which ship in the other brand you liked.  I am booked on Oceania Vista for my next cruise in 2025.  I am thinking of a cruise in 2024.  Thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

We are torn between Silversea Dawn and Seabourn Ovation, which are pretty much all inclusive, but we particularly liked drinking champagne and eating caviar whilst we watched the sunset, which was much easier on Seabourn, Due to location of bars.

We also found our fellow cruises more friendly, which may have been because they are smaller ships and so you see the same people more often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, English Tim said:

We are torn between Silversea Dawn and Seabourn Ovation, which are pretty much all inclusive, but we particularly liked drinking champagne and eating caviar whilst we watched the sunset, which was much easier on Seabourn, Due to location of bars.

We also found our fellow cruises more friendly, which may have been because they are smaller ships and so you see the same people more often.

Interesting that you found the cruisers on SB, friendly.  The first time we cruised on Seabourn we were concerned that fellow passengers might be somewhat snobby and entitled.  What we found was completely the opposite and have found fellow passengers on all of our SB cruises to be very friendly, sociable and outgoing.  Even in the restaurants we found SB passengers often wanting to share and enjoy mealtime conversations.  One fellow cruiser told us she compared Seabourn to being in a country club with that type of social atmosphere.  It's like a club where the price of admission is simply being on the ship.

SB also has a lot of interaction/socialization between some of the staff (senior officers, entertainers, etc).  On one long SB cruise, where we were in a lower category suite, we dined with the Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, the Cruise Director and most of the entertainers.  Some of those folks would also regularly join us in the various lounges.  After COVID, some of this socialization was reduced as the Senior Officers reduced their possible exposure to COVID..but things now appear to be returning to pre-covid norms.  One Senior Bridge Officer told us the company actually encouraged them to dine with passengers at least twice a week.

We are looking forward to our upcoming Vista cruise as it will finally give us an opportunity to see how O compares to other lines.

Hank

• Like 5