Quest running on 1 propeller [update: repaired]

Mercruiser

The captain made an announcement at 6:00pm local time, that one of the two propellers shut down due to a problem with the (electric) motor that powers it. With only one propeller (instead of 2), we are cruising at a reduced speed (13 knots per my gps). This will result in a late arrival near Puerto Montt Chile around 4:30 pm, instead of our scheduled arrival at 9:30 am. Our port call tomorrow (Wed) in Puerto Montt is canceled.

Once we are near the port (in sheltered water), the ship will stop and the engineering team will inspect the motor. (The motor cannot be inspected while underway because the propeller and motor continue to spin from the force of the passing water.)

That is what we know for now. Otherwise, this is a very enjoyable cruise. 

We just started our cruise in San Antonio (Santiago) Chile yesterday (Jan 22). The cruise destination is Buenos Aeries Argentina. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised to see us cruising at 13 knots, with the Norwegian Sun cruising ahead of us 17 knots (per Marine Traffic) on the same San Antonio to Puerto Montt segment. I would expect us to be going slower than that.

I'll share more news when we hear it. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Mercruiser.  Someone I know is on this cruise, so I'm interested in hearing how things shake out.  Sorry to hear you're missing Puerto Montt, hopefully they'll be able to get this sorted out.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the repairs from the engine issues that started November 19 as we approached the Amazon (details start on November 19 on our Roll Call posted below) on the Quest were ever fully completed? I know they were not completed on our sailing (which ended December 10), nor were they completed on the Antarctic sailing after ours. 

Early AM update, 6 am local time

Norwegian Sun (circled in red) is arriving on time at Puerto Montt. Quest should be right behind Sun if she were operating on schedule. Instead, Quest (circled in purple) has been running at 13 knots all night and has fallen behind.

Screenshot_20240124_005158_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e28dffd06aff0d86b86db9d99e15f20d.jpg

The cruise activity staff made a quick adjustment and published an "At Sea" schedule for today. They had it printed and in our cabins when we returned at 10pm last night. 

We have an independent tour arranged in Puerto Montt. I was pleased to receive this email from GV Tours:

GV Tours sent you a message:
Hello everyone,

We've just received news about the propeller issues currently affecting the Azamara ship, and we truly understand the impact this may have on your plans, especially your ability to join our tour. We want to extend our heartfelt sympathies for any inconvenience this situation may cause you.

To proceed with the cancellation, kindly submit your request through Viator. Rest assured, we will promptly approve the refund.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

I wonder if the repairs from the engine issues that started November 19 as we approached the Amazon (details start on November 19 on our Roll Call posted below) on the Quest were ever fully completed? I know they were not completed on our sailing (which ended December 10), nor were they completed on the Antarctic sailing after ours. 

This was very interesting reading for me. Thanks for posting this.

I am very, very surprised to hear that they sailed to the Antarctic with only one operating engine/propeller? Is that what happened or am I misinterpreting this? 

29 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

This was very interesting reading for me. Thanks for posting this.

I am very, very surprised to hear that they sailed to the Antarctic with only one operating engine/propeller? Is that what happened or am I misinterpreting this? 

It was not repaired when we disembarked on December 10 in Buenos Aires. It appears that it was still not repaired if you start reading the posts below that start after December 10.....

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

On the Facebook page, someone said there are 4 motors and 1 is broken. They also said both props are still working.

The captain and wikipedia disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azamara_Quest

They probably do not understand how diesel electric propulsion works. There are four Wartsila diesel engines powering 4 electric generators. Almost everything on the ship is electric.

There are two props, each connect to one electric motor each.

The diesel engines turn the generators which make electricity to power the motors (and everything else.) The two motors turn the propellors.

The reason the ship has to stop moving is so that they can open up the casing on the failed electric motor and inspect it. While moving, the failed prop-motor continue to turn because they are being dragged through the water. We have to stop so that they stop turning, making it safe to work on them.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Captain just got on the PA system at 10:10 am local time. He announced that we are within the calm waters of the Chilean fjords. We will be stopping in 20 minutes. They will open up the failed motor and diagnose the problem.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

The Captain just got on the PA system at 10:10 am local time. He announced that we are within the calm waters of the Chilean fjords. We will be stopping in 20 minutes. They will open up the failed motor and diagnose the problem.

Thank you for the timely (and factual) updates.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are moving again. I think we are going in a circle.

Yes, I will continue to let you all know what is happening.

I expect there will be a noon announcement, as they do every day.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

We are moving again. I think we are going in a circle.

Yes, I will continue to let you all know what is happening.

I expect there will be a noon announcement, as they do every day.

A circle could be testing or trying to free something 

Fingers crossed for you 🤞

1 hour ago, Mercruiser said:

The captain and wikipedia disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azamara_Quest

They probably do not understand how diesel electric propulsion works. There are four Wartsila diesel engines powering 4 electric generators. Almost everything on the ship is electric.

There are two props, each connect to one electric motor each.

The diesel engines turn the generators which make electricity to power the motors (and everything else.) The two motors turn the propellors.

The reason the ship has to stop moving is so that they can open up the casing on the failed electric motor and inspect it. While moving, the failed prop-motor continue to turn because they are being dragged through the water. We have to stop so that they stop turning, making it safe to work on them.

From the FB page: "There are actually 4 engines and 2 props. 2 engines per prop. One of the engines on the port side had the coil go so that prop is working on one engine. The ship is still fine with 3 engines for the 2 props, it just can’t go full out. All this was explained to us passengers by Captain Johaness who was the captain on the Quest at the time it initially happened. This has been going on since Nov 19, 2023."

1125 am

Good News announcement from the bridge. 

There is nothing wrong with the motor. They could not find anything wrong. The captain believes it is an instrumentation problem, which he says is much easier to address while underway.

We will now proceed to Puerto Montt for a technical call to allow crew members on/off the ship who were scheduled to arrive/depart today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

1125 am

Good News announcement from the bridge. 

There is nothing wrong with the motor. They could not find anything wrong. The captain believes it is an instrumentation problem, which he says is much easier to address while underway.

We will now proceed to Puerto Montt for a technical call to allow crew members on/off the ship who were scheduled to arrive/depart today.

Great news thanks for your timely and accurate reporting. I hope the rest of your cruise is incident free 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Noon update

The captain announced that we are proceeding to Puerto Montt on one propeller. The engineering team will work on identifying the suspected instrumentation problem. We will anchor at Puerto Montt for the technical call.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Hope things work out for you 

Do keep us posted, we are due to board mid February so following what develops with interest 

Many of us are .... wait for it....unfortunate pun... are in the same boat.  I for one will be obessively watching the events unfold.

and many thanks to @Mercruiser for the reports.  safe travels

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much for your updates.  I hope the technical issues are resolved so that your trip continues more smoothly.  We are scheduled to board on 2/6 so I too am watching your posts closely

• Thanks 1