The latest rules with 12-year-olds?

Going on the Icon for spring break with a 12-year-old. I have not been able to firm up what her options will be in terms of kids clubs. She would like to meet other girls her age to hang out with. 

Will she only have access to the 6-12 area in Adventure Ocean? That’s a big age spread! There could be kindergarteners along with seventh graders. 

Is the teen club open to this age group, or is it strictly 13+?

I have heard both that the age limits 12/13 are strictly enforced by each club and that a 12-year-old is given the choice to “age up.” What has been the practice during recent cruises across the fleet? What should we expect on the Icon during the busy spring break weeks when there surely will be many tweens?

17 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Will she only have access to the 6-12 area in Adventure Ocean? That’s a big age spread! There could be kindergarteners along with seventh graders. 

From what it looks like they combined spaces in stead of having two smaller spaces.  I know for some this is a positive, siblings not wanting to be split up.

You could talk with them, but note you will trading in being around 6-7 years olds, to having a 12 year old around 16-17 year old's.  Would imagine most 12 year olds will be in their designated 6-12 group.

2 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

You could talk with them, but note you will trading in being around 6-7 years olds, to having a 12 year old around 16-17 year old's.  Would imagine most 12 year olds will be in their designated 6-12 group.

True, that would be again too big a spread for different reasons. What she is looking for is the 12-14 crowd she is used to hanging out with, but clearly most of them will not be able to come to Adventure Ocean…Hopefully they do something tween friendly during spring break months in Adventure Ocean! 

43 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

From what it looks like they combined spaces in stead of having two smaller spaces.  I know for some this is a positive, siblings not wanting to be split up.

From what I remember the teen club was split into two groups, 13-15 and 16-17.  I would think it would be better for a 12yo to be among 15yo than among 6yo.

ETA:  From the Royal website: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/blog/what-teens-can-expect-onboard/

[quote]

How does the onboard programming for teens differ from other kids?

We divide teens into two age groups: 12-14 and 15-17. What we have for teens is actually very similar to the adult activities — they come and go at their own will. They can check the schedule and see what they want to do, whether it’s a sport, a craft or a scavenger hunt, and they can opt in or out.[/quote]

So the 12yo WOULD go to the teen club. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

27 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

From what I remember the teen club was split into two groups, 13-15 and 16-17.  I would think it would be better for a 12yo to be among 15yo than among 6yo.

ETA:  From the Royal website: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/blog/what-teens-can-expect-onboard/

[quote]

We divide teens into two age groups: 12-14 and 15-17. What we have for teens is actually very similar to the adult activities — they come and go at their own will. They can check the schedule and see what they want to do, whether it’s a sport, a craft or a scavenger hunt, and they can opt in or out.[/quote]

Thank you for finding this guidance! It makes sense. I was just thrown off by the Adventure Ocean having a space that clearly has 6-12 posted on the door. It was shown on a recent video walkthrough of Adventure Ocean on the Icon. 

I'm surprised that Icon went back to 13+ for the teen club. Oasis class puts 12 year olds in with the teen group. My son was 12 when we went on Allure two years ago and he was part of the teen group - which he much preferred than being with the younger kids (he mostly hung with his older sibling). 

7 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Thank you for finding this guidance! It makes sense. I was just thrown off by the Adventure Ocean having a space that clearly has 6-12 posted on the door. It was shown on a recent video walkthrough of Adventure Ocean on the Icon. 

Guessing 12yo (their parents) can choose which one they want to be a member of.  AO makes sense for some, especially if they have a younger sibling with them, but the teen club makes sense also.  

7 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm surprised that Icon went back to 13+ for the teen club. Oasis class puts 12 year olds in with the teen group. My son was 12 when we went on Allure two years ago and he was part of the teen group - which he much preferred than being with the younger kids (he mostly hung with his older sibling). 

Do you anticipate them enforcing the 13 limit on the Icon? I guess we will find out soon now that full-revenue cruising is about to begin. I wish they were clearer about this, and I hope it’s not a negotiation once on board. 

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Guessing 12yo (their parents) can choose which one they want to be a member of.  AO makes sense for some, especially if they have a younger sibling with them, but the teen club makes sense also.  

For sure, for siblings this is a nice option to have. Hopefully they consider 12 a flex age! 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm surprised that Icon went back to 13+ for the teen club. 

The 3 Ships I been on same in last yr, all had Teens together. t many older 16-17 really hang out in their area anyway

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 1/26/2024 at 11:15 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

[quote]

Our experience on Allure last summer is that teen activities were not split.  There was one group of 12-17 year olds.  I don't know how many of the older teens hung out in the teen area, but my 12 year old had a lot of problems with bullying from a boy who looked around 15 or 16.

Although the website states one thing, it's ship specific. On Oasis (and I think all of the Oasis class ships) it's literally just 6-12 and 13+.   My 11 yr old hated it and signed himself out after 10 minutes because he said it felt like kindergarten.  Next time we sail, he will be 12 and I guess I'll request he gets bumped up to the 13+ group and see how he likes it. I really wish they ALL had a 6-11,  12-14 then teen club. 

Edited by Scottdalfonso
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

Our experience on Allure last summer is that teen activities were not split.  There was one group of 12-17 year olds.  I don't know how many of the older teens hung out in the teen area, but my 12 year old had a lot of problems with bullying from a boy who looked around 15 or 16.

I've heard (and it makes sense), they'll do a single group when the numbers are small.  

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Although the website states one thing, it's ship specific. On Oasis (and I think all of the Oasis class ships) it's literally just 6-12 and 13+.   My 11 yr old hated it and signed himself out after 10 minutes because he said it felt like kindergarten.  Next time we sail, he will be 12 and I guess I'll request he gets bumped up to the 13+ group and see how he likes it. I really wish they ALL had a 6-11,  12-14 then teen club. 

Posts #7 and #13 in this thread don't agree with the bolded. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I've heard (and it makes sense), they'll do a single group when the numbers are small.  

If there aren't enough kids to split the groups in the middle of the summer then it seems splitting them would be the exception and not the norm.