When To Go To Alaska

Hate Winter

I've been looking at booking a southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver departing August 29, 2025. If I wait and depart on September 12, the rate is quite a bit lower. I'm looking for advice or opinions from those who have sailed during these months and if September is too late to see a lot of wildlife. I really want to see salmon running and the bears that feed on them. I also want to fly to a glacier and walk on the glacier. I would love to hear what others have to say about this time of year, the weather, and wildlife at the end of August versus the second week in September. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

Mid-September and on have the potential for really bad storms. I would not sail during this time.

I probably wouldn't sail end of August either but that is me.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Mid-September and on have the potential for really bad storms. I would not sail during this time.

I probably wouldn't sail end of August either but that is me.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Hate Winter said:

I've decided to book the August 29 cruise rather than September. Thanks.

That is the same date we cruised 10 years ago, but a north-bound one, leaving from Vancouver and ending up in Anchorage.  The weather was rather chilly and we had occasional rain but never "when it counted". It was a wonderful time for seeing bears as the salmon were running and we took a float plane to Traitors Cove in Ketchikan where we saw tons of bears.  After we arrived in Anchorage, we rented a car and stayed another week on our own. Unbelievably Mt Denali was out in full glory for the two days we were at the park...not a cloud in the sky. Plus the cold weather had brought out the color of the leaves and at times we felt we were 'engulphed in gold'. The train from Anchorage to Seward stops  running in mid September but we took it on its next-to-last day and took a Kenai Fjord day cruise. It was raining, but we encountered a big pod of Orcas which was very exciting.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:05 PM, lynncarol said:

That is the same date we cruised 10 years ago, but a north-bound one, leaving from Vancouver and ending up in Anchorage.  The weather was rather chilly and we had occasional rain but never "when it counted". It was a wonderful time for seeing bears as the salmon were running and we took a float plane to Traitors Cove in Ketchikan where we saw tons of bears.  After we arrived in Anchorage, we rented a car and stayed another week on our own. Unbelievably Mt Denali was out in full glory for the two days we were at the park...not a cloud in the sky. Plus the cold weather had brought out the color of the leaves and at times we felt we were 'engulphed in gold'. The train from Anchorage to Seward stops  running in mid September but we took it on its next-to-last day and took a Kenai Fjord day cruise. It was raining, but we encountered a big pod of Orcas which was very exciting.

That sounds wonderful! Thank you for the info!

On 1/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, Hate Winter said:

If I wait and depart on September 12, the rate is quite a bit lower

And there are reasons for that... And it's not because they want to give you a deal.

Go earlier.

• Like 1

Both are great as long as you don’t mind the rain or the possibility of rough seas especially on your last day. I’ve done early and mid September and will be doing late September this year. It’s personal preference but I don’t cruise when schools out and can’t take vacation in May so September is my time for Alaska.

seeing bears is never guaranteed and you never know where you will see them. One year I saw one right in Ketchikan but people who took the bear tour saw none. The salmon are still running in mid September but be ready for the smell of dead salmon, it’s the not so sexy part.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, SoloAlaska said:

Both are great as long as you don’t mind the rain or the possibility of rough seas especially on your last day. I’ve done early and mid September and will be doing late September this year. It’s personal preference but I don’t cruise when schools out and can’t take vacation in May so September is my time for Alaska.

seeing bears is never guaranteed and you never know where you will see them. One year I saw one right in Ketchikan but people who took the bear tour saw none. The salmon are still running in mid September but be ready for the smell of dead salmon, it’s the not so sexy part.

Thank you. I've booked the cruise for the week of August 29.