Osaka Port Informtion

Frangipanni

Hi, we are travelling on the 12 night tour of Japan on the 9th April 2024 with Celebrity Millenium.  As we are not doing the cruiseline shore excursions, can someone please let me know how to and how long it takes to get from the Port into Kyoto to do our own exploring?  Really appreciate ANY advice as I'm getting stressed out that we won't have time to make some local guided tours that start early mornings.  Thank you.  

It's not the easiest thing to do but it's not hugely difficult either. Just requires a little research. 

You'll have to take either a taxi or the Osaka subway to the train station. (If I recall, the subway closest to the cruise port is about a 15 minute walk.). There are two possible train stations that you could use, depending on whether or not you want to take the shinkansen (bullet train) into Kyoto -- it's faster but more $$$.

I suggest doing a little reading on the Asia ports of call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

You'll get some good insights there and can see what others have done.

P.S.  Sometimes the port offers a free (very cheap?) shuttle to the metro station.  If you're really in a hurry and don't mind the cost, a taxi to the correct train station is probably the quickest.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not the easiest thing to do but it's not hugely difficult either. Just requires a little research. 

You'll have to take either a taxi or the Osaka subway to the train station. (If I recall, the subway closest to the cruise port is about a 15 minute walk.). There are two possible train stations that you could use, depending on whether or not you want to take the shinkansen (bullet train) into Kyoto -- it's faster but more $$$.

I suggest doing a little reading on the Asia ports of call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

You'll get some good insights there and can see what others have done.

P.S.  Sometimes the port offers a free (very cheap?) shuttle to the metro station.  If you're really in a hurry and don't mind the cost, a taxi to the correct train station is probably the quickest.

Thank you for that information.  Much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Frangipanni said:

Thank you for that information.  Much appreciated. 

I was on the Millennium last October and pre-cruise stay in Kyoto. The ship will overnight at Osaka Tempozan Cruise Terminal, 10 min  walking time to metro Osakako Station. There are many ways travelling from Osaka to Kyoto, rapid/limited express train from Osaka station
(40 min, ¥600), shinkansen from Shin-Osaka (25 min, ¥1670 non-reserved seat), the most time consuming is navigating inside Osaka station and Shin-Osaka Station especially during rush hours. You can taxi or metro to Osaka station or Shin-Osaka station.

Traveling from Osaka to Kyoto
https://www.osakastation.com/traveling-from-osaka-to-kyoto/

If you plan Kyoto just for a day, person suggestion: train from Kyoto station to Fushimi Inari Taisha Sembon Torii (Thousand Torii Gates); back Kyoto station for lunch, taxi (tourist taxi stand at station NE corner) to Kiyomizu-dera, then walk down to Gion via, Sannenzaka Path, Ninenzaka, a rest break in tatami Starbuck coffee!, Yasaka Pagoda Photograph Spot, Yasaka Jinja, Hanamikoji Street (Historic district with traditional buildings, kimono shops, restaurants & geisha), taxi back to Kyoto station for dinner, trip back to Osaka.

When we booked the Westerdam (for last year) in Japan, I could not imagine just spending 1 day in Osaka and Kyoto!  Having lived in Japan as a young man (in our military) I understood that flying all the way to Japan for just a single day in Kyoto and/or Tokyo made little sense.  So we flew into Haneda, spent 4 days in Tokyo, took the bullet train to Kyoto, spent 6 nights in that city, and than took the train up to Yokohama to join our cruise.  We could have done Kyoto in 3-4 full days, but did enjoy the extra time (took the train down to Hiroshima on one of those days).

While I understand that most folks have time constraints, the cost of getting to/from Japan is considerable.  Somehow finding the time and money for extra pre/post cruise days is simply taking advantage of the opportunity.  To be honest, if asked to help somebody plan a single port day in Kyoto..we would be at a complete loss.  It is simply not enough time for what this part of Japan has to offer.  We are now working with some friends who will be going to Japan (next year) for their first visit.  They do have the time and means, but at this point are thinking of just a few weeks on a high-end luxury cruise ship.  My task is to convince them to fly over at least 1-2 weeks pre-cruise and enjoy some of what makes Japan such a fascinating country.

After our 2 weeks in Japan and another month cruising around the islands, I was delighted when DW asked me (last week) to book another triip/cruise to Japan for next year.  I cannot wait to return as Japan has long held some kind of spell on me since living there 2 years in the late 60s.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When we booked the Westerdam (for last year) in Japan, I could not imagine just spending 1 day in Osaka and Kyoto!  Having lived in Japan as a young man (in our military) I understood that flying all the way to Japan for just a single day in Kyoto and/or Tokyo made little sense.  So we flew into Haneda, spent 4 days in Tokyo, took the bullet train to Kyoto, spent 6 nights in that city, and than took the train up to Yokohama to join our cruise.  We could have done Kyoto in 3-4 full days, but did enjoy the extra time (took the train down to Hiroshima on one of those days).

We're staying 4 nights in Tokyo and 2 nights in Kyoto before our cruise.  There is an overnight in Osaka.  They cut our second day to 3 pm, which is pretty impactful.  Would a second day in Osaka (first is a walking tour/subway with a TBL guide) be preferable to going to Nara?  Wasn't sure if Nara is must see or if time would be better spend in Osaka.

2 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

We're staying 4 nights in Tokyo and 2 nights in Kyoto before our cruise.  There is an overnight in Osaka.  They cut our second day to 3 pm, which is pretty impactful.  Would a second day in Osaka (first is a walking tour/subway with a TBL guide) be preferable to going to Nara?  Wasn't sure if Nara is must see or if time would be better spend in Osaka.

Tough call because of that early departure.  I assume you must be back onboard by 2:30 and you need to leave some cushion.  I will make the assumption that your TBL guide will take you to Osaka Castle (a must see).  Personally, I would not want to miss Nara, but with that short day you might be wise to do it with a cruise line excursion (if offered).  I say this even though DW and I truly dislike overcrowded overpriced cruise line excursions.  Going to Nara, on your own, would take some planning, an early start, and would leave you no margin for error.  Last year, when DW and I were in Kyoto (6 nights) we did spend much of one day in Nara (we had a JR Rail Pass so went on our own) and enjoyed the sites.  A "must see" would depend on your own wants, but we would count it as very desirable place to visit.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I suggest stay in Osaka, go to Osaka Castle, Dotonbori and Namba.  It takes 75 min travel time from Osaka cruise terminal to Nara rail station., either walk 20 min or 5 min bus ride to Tōdai-ji Buddhist temple (7:30am-5:30pm), 20 min walk to Kasuga Taisha (7am-5:30pm). If you are an early riser, then you can do your 1/2 day Nara but must left Nara before 1pm. or catch the night train to Kochi to rejoin the ship. I was in Nara for 6 hours with a guide, we only visiting several attractions because they all spread out in Nara Park, 

• Like 1