Blind cruiser travelling solo for the first time.

Gretings, I will be taking my first solo cruise in April of this year.  Are there any other blind travellers who could provide any tips or suggestions?  I'm feeling really anxious but also some excitement.  Still, I thought of not going earlier this week.  My deadline to pay the balance is Feb 14th.  I'll be cruising on Celebrity reflection for a four night cruise.  thank you.

8 hours ago, Georgie_boy said:

Gretings, I will be taking my first solo cruise in April of this year.  Are there any other blind travellers who could provide any tips or suggestions?  I'm feeling really anxious but also some excitement.  Still, I thought of not going earlier this week.  My deadline to pay the balance is Feb 14th.  I'll be cruising on Celebrity reflection for a four night cruise.  thank you.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

I'd strongly suggest that you contact Special Needs at Celebrity to discuss what special services that might be available for you.

For example, for friends of ours where one has severe hearing impairment, at least on another line, they can get a cabin where the "alarms", which are usually auditory, are accompanied by flashing lights (and perhaps vibrations in some cases).

But this would need to be arranged in advance, to make sure they get an appropriate cabin.

Special Needs may also be able to tell you about any other services they have that might be helpful on the cruise.

This is your first *solo* cruise, but apparently not your first cruise entirely?  If so, then perhaps you are already familiar with some of the features?

GC

While I commend you for wishing to go on a solo cruise, you might want to check that Celebrity will allow it. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few reasons, all mostly safety related, why they might not allow you to travel without an aide. The number one being in an emergency. There might not be someone available to get you to the muster station or off ship.

• 1 month later...

I'm low vision rather than blind and have cruised solo on 2 different lines - NCL and P&O Cruises. Both were happy for me to travel solo as I notified them at the time of booking. 

Things I was offered:

- Ship orientation on embarkation day

- Large print menus and daily schedules

- For my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise I have been offered reserved seating for shows 

- I use a cane on the ship and in the ports due to the crowds (depth perception issues and peripheral vision that doesn't pass my shoulders as well as 0 night vision)

Blind can mean a lot of different things so it's going to depend on how much, if any useful vision you have, as to how easy or difficult the experience will be. Also, will you be travelling with a guide dog or are you a cane user?

Good for you for embracing independent travel! I hope you have a fantastic cruise.