Calling all Haven Experts

Faulkh

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Yes!  One of my favorite suite experiences was on the Sky and they have no Haven.  The Sky used to have a port intensive itinerary so a Haven may not have been used that much anyway.  But it was the red carpet personal service that blew me away.  The concierge would personally visit you at breakfast and come to your cabin every night.  It was a level of service that I never experienced again because there are so few suites and the concierge caters to you.  On Epic in 2010 the Haven crew was outstanding.  They knew your name from the first day and greeted you by your name every day.  These bigger new ships dont have the same concierge level of service.  Even the reviews of the Prima and Viva state they dont care to know you at all. 

Was in an Aft Suite on the Gem.  Gem has a Haven, but it's tiny and has no Haven Lounge/bar or specific Haven Restaurant.  Albeit, it did have a tiny pool and a few loungers in the private Haven area. My Aft cabin came with all the Butler and Concierge services, though.  Both were outstanding.

So, had the "Haven experience" without having a "Haven cabin".

Have stayed in a Haven Spa Suite on both the Breakaway and Getaway.  These proffer the stereotypical Haven experience.  There is a private bar, a private lounge, a private restaurant, a private pool with a private hot tub(s),  Concierge and Butler service.

The Spa Suites are NOT in the Haven Proper, but they do have a hot tub in the room and (up until recently) free access to the ship's spa facilities (which are quite nice on NCL ships).  Fact is, the Haven Spa Suites aren't even on the same deck as the Haven Bar and Restaurant.  I never found this to be an issue, but have read it is to some.  I get a better feel for the ship's "goings on" if I have to travel a bit on board to get where I want to go (like the Haven).

Recently (October) stayed in a 2BR Haven Suit on the Epic.  Very nice, as it was just refurbished.  It was in Haven Proper.  In all frankness, that's where I came to the conclusion it really didn't matter to me where my Haven cabin was.  Being in the Haven proper or outside of it, in a Haven cabin didn't matter.  Yes, one is a little closer to the restaurant and the bar if you're in the Haven proper.  But, the experience was the same whether I was in the Haven proper cabin or outside of it...which was generally excellent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

.  Yes, one is a little closer to the restaurant and the bar if you're in the Haven proper.  But, the experience was the same whether I was in the Haven proper cabin or outside of it...which was generally excellent.

Thank you just the kind of information I was looking for. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

One of our favourite suites ever was 9316 (Aft Penthouse with Master Bedroom and Large Balcony) on the Getaway/Breakaway.  While not in the haven proper you can spend as much time there as you like.  You are as welcome there as any other suite dweller.  

It is a bit of a walk, but hey, we enjoy the walk and it certainly doesn't hurt to get the extra exercise if physically able.

The suite has one of the largest balconies you will find.  We had 2 padded loungers with a table between them, a table and 4 chairs that are under a covered area that we used in the rain, and there was enough room for a crowd out there!

It has 2 bathrooms and a separate master bedroom.  

We were treated the same by the butler and concierge as we were accustomed to being treated in the Owners Suite or Garden Villa (your experience may vary).  

Would take one of the corner suites on 9 or 12 anyday - but preferred 9.  There are several videos out there.  

You will not be disappointed

Thank for for the review of aft rooms much appreciated. Your words are definitely swaying me to the aft

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

To us, it does not matter. We make a point of using the Haven facilities regardless of where our room is. As a point of reference, on the newest ships, there are no rooms on the same deck as the lounge and restaurant, all rooms are "outside".

Most recently we were on the Viva in a Haven room where you had to go to the Haven facilities no matter what room you were in. 

Recently we were on the Encore in a forward facing Haven room. We like those rooms because they have a separate living room space. And they are [much] cheaper than the [much] smaller balcony penthouse rooms in the Haven proper. We spent a lot of time in the Haven courtyard and didn't think twice about running up to the Haven bar for a drink. 

Prior to that, we were in a Penthouse balcony on the Breakaway about 10 steps from the Haven bar. While the access to the Haven facilities was convenient, we prefer the extra space in forward facing rooms. 

We sail often, so being "economical" (vs. cheap = inside room) is important to us. In the past two years we have booked Forward Facing Haven, Penthouse Balcony Haven, 2BR Haven rooms (the second bedroom is more or less just luggage storage and an extra toilet - but you get a living room and more space in the Haven proper). 

To put things in perspective, about 1/3 of the Haven rooms on the Breakaway are "outside" the Haven proper. 

The Butler services multiple aft facing Haven rooms (i.e., they do not have one room in the Haven proper and one room at the aft), so the service is the same quality. 

Thank you for the detailed review much appreciated. Your note of ‘making it a point of using the facilities speaks volumes’. Think going to pick the room I like the best. The walk will do me good I am sure 

19 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Pick the preferable stateroom configuration and a good/great balcony when selecting which aft-facing Suite.

Thank you I was looking at videos and definitely noted a difference.  Appreciate the input

16 hours ago, Luvmypups said:

We take our grandson so that’s another reason we like the extra space.

I so hope to take our granddaughter when she gets a little older. Thanks for your response much appreciated

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When going Haven, there isn't really a wrong choice. Weigh the options and decide. If aft-facing, forward-facing, or courtyard is your preference, go for it. 

Thank you. Couldn’t agree more, this one isn’t our first haven experience and hopefully not our last either, but your deck pictures sold me on the aft

14 minutes ago, Faulkh said:

Thank you. Couldn’t agree more, this one isn’t our first haven experience and hopefully not our last either, but your deck pictures sold me on the aft

Only the deck 9 balcony is that large. On BA/GA, the aft-facing balcony size order is 9, 12, 11, 10, 14, 13 from deepest to least deep.

Having a large balcony in not important if you are in the Haven proper. You have many available loungers both in shade and sun. You can eat breakfast and lunch at the pool outside or there is lunch service up on the private sundeck. You are not dealing with crowds and chair hogs. I never spend time on my balcony when in the Haven. There is too many other better choices with unbelievably great service

• Like 1

19 hours ago, david_sobe said:

This is a very common thread asking the same question. Everyone always justifies their position and experience.  I have stayed in both types of Haven cabins.  I said the same thing when I booked a forward penthouse on Getaway. "I wont mind walking.  The saving on money is worth it, etc"  While I enjoyed a larger cabin, the Haven experience was not the same IMHO.  I felt like an outsider in the Haven having to commute there since we were not part of the Haven compound.  While not terrible, it definitely impacted the Haven experience.  I love waking up in the Haven complex and just opening my door to the restaurant, pool, and concierge.  The concierge seems to know the people better that actually stay there.  I call the experience "Haven-lite."  Here is a good analogy.  Do you want to stay at an ocean front resort overlooking the pool and ocean and restaurant or stay at a hotel 3 blocks away and you are entitled to walk to and use the facilities.  IMHO its not the same experience. 

Totally agree with this!

I'm trying to decide between our usual AFT Haven cabin or the 2br villa in haven proper.  We've done the aft haven cabin 3 times now.  Have never done a cabin in haven proper.  We're on the Joy in June. 4 people and have an aft haven and adjoining reg balcony booked and also a 2br family villa with large balcony.  I have to make a choice between the two...UGHHH.  Idk if putting an adult in the 2nd bedroom villa is going to be comfy with a pull-out couch bed or if it will feel like they are in a closet

8 minutes ago, Pie said:

I'm trying to decide between our usual AFT Haven cabin or the 2br villa in haven proper.  We've done the aft haven cabin 3 times now.  Have never done a cabin in haven proper.  We're on the Joy in June. 4 people and have an aft haven and adjoining reg balcony booked and also a 2br family villa with large balcony.  I have to make a choice between the two...UGHHH.  Idk if putting an adult in the 2nd bedroom villa is going to be comfy with a pull-out couch bed or if it will feel like they are in a closet

You do realize that anyone you book in the adjoining reg balcony will not receive any Haven benefits?

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

You do realize that anyone you book in the adjoining reg balcony will not receive any Haven benefits?

Yep - well aware

1 hour ago, Pie said:

Yep - well aware

You might think the 2bdrm is like a closet but how would you feel if those not booked in Haven rooms don't get to dine in the Haven or visit the Haven bar?  It would be like part of  your party is on an entirely different cruise. I would definitely not split the party.  All in the Haven or all out of the Haven.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Yes!  One of my favorite suite experiences was on the Sky and they have no Haven.  The Sky used to have a port intensive itinerary so a Haven may not have been used that much anyway.  But it was the red carpet personal service that blew me away.  The concierge would personally visit you at breakfast and come to your cabin every night.  It was a level of service that I never experienced again because there are so few suites and the concierge caters to you.  On Epic in 2010 the Haven crew was outstanding.  They knew your name from the first day and greeted you by your name every day.  These bigger new ships dont have the same concierge level of service.  Even the reviews of the Prima and Viva state they dont care to know you at all. 

On our first Sun in aft PH the concierge was Kare Goedke.  She came to our suite at least once a day.  Sometimes she would stay and chat for over an hour, especially with my mom, who was very charismatic.  

Karen also seemed to show up whenever we dined in a specialty restaurant for dinner, which was often, just to check on us.  

Ironically, that was the same cruise our novice butler got off in one of the ports and kept going.  He really was not very good at it but we go with the flow.  And Karen made up for it. 

14 hours ago, Faulkh said:

Thank for for the review of aft rooms much appreciated. Your words are definitely swaying me to the aft

There really is something special about an aft suite.   Especially at night.  It is magical.  

• Like 1

OP, we too sailed Escape DOS in 2018.  Us and two kids.  Nice room with inside type cabin for DD and DS used big foldout in living room.  Pretty good experience.

Couple years prior sailed BA in H2.  While master bed and bath nice, the leaky noise movable wall between h2 & 3 is not good.  Find something else no matter where.  Overall not a fan of BA and even less of GA.

12 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Remember the second bedroom might be small but it has a private bathroom and tv and all the Haven perks plus you have a nice living room with dining table for four.

So we just stayed in the 2 bedroom Haven on the Escape this month. We were 4 adults and yes the 2nd bedroom is small but the bed was plenty big for 2 normal size adults ( I am 5'9 175, wife is 5'7 135) The bathroom is small but great to each have our own bedroom plus all the living space in the living room. We did the Aft facing last April and loved the huge balcony but we traveled with 2 teanagers who slept on the sofa couch in the living room, so pretty much no living room most of the time. 

• Like 1

If you get the 2 bedroom Haven suite ask for an egg crate topper.  Makes a huge difference.

We've stayed in both types of suites.  And while I love the huge balcony on the aft suites I found that we stayed in our cabin more and probably didn't utilize the Haven as much as we could have.  But then we're old and lazy!  Lol!

On the Joy, I think I would opt for the suite in the Haven.  Joy has my favorite Haven with the adult only sundeck with hot tubs and the Observation (Horizon?) Lounge.  It is really convenient to just pop out to the Lounge for coffee or a snack.  And the suites with large balcony really do have a usable balcony and can fit 2 lounge chairs easily.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

• Like 1