Majestic princess cruise to Alaska in may

Jetstar

As a senior who has always wanted to go to Alaska my husband and I r going for my birthday.  I am concerned about the walking etc situation with excursions. Other cruises have indicted whether excursions are easy, moderate or difficult. Any suggestions as to less strenuous ones.  I’ve also noticed that they seem quite expensive on this particular cruise.  Any info would be extremely helpful.

All excursions are pricey in Alaska.  You should ask this on the Princess board where some may have experience with Princess tours.  Also do some reading on the Alaska board under Ports of Call.  EM

• Like 1

Alaska is expensive. Plan for it. I would not recommend "just winging it" like the Caribbean.

In Skagway - I would look at a combination bus/train to the Yukon. I would recommend Chilkoot tours as they use vans instead of buses: https://chilkootcharters.com Though Princess does a similar tour.

I would recommend whale watching in Juneau. https://jayleensalaska.com or https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com If you want to go through the cruise line pick the Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari (as it uses smaller boats). This tour (Photo Safari) does have some walking at Mendenhall.

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, Jetstar said:

I am concerned about the walking etc situation with excursions. Other cruises have indicted whether excursions are easy, moderate or difficult.

Princess excursions typically indicate specific travel details such as distance or steps required to walk, time for travel, restroom availability, time at stops, etc.  If you look at a tour on the Princess website, there are three tabs -- Overview, Excursion Details, and Customer Reviews.  Here are screen shots showing where to click for the Excursion Details and an example from an Alaska tour which shows all the specific parts of the tour.

It's been our experience that Princess tours closely match the descriptions.  Hopefully by looking at some tours that interest you and then determining the activity levels that will help you narrow down some good choices.  

overview.png

details.png

Edited by Paula_MacFan