Newark Airport/Port to Broadway?

I am from CA where everything is far apart.

I have never been to NY or NJ.

I am trying to convince my husband to fly in a day before our cruise (We are currently on a red eye and land at 7am in Newark.)

As a music teacher I've always wanted to see Broadway, maybe even see a musical there.  

How far away is Newark airport/port to Broadway?

There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port.

It’s not far at all from EWR to Broadway. Stay in Secaucus. Get the NJT train into NY Penn Station from Seacacus Junction. It takes less than an hour. Then it’s a quick walk up 7th Ave to your theater. Easy peasy. 

10 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

How far away is Newark airport/port to Broadway?

A few things to unpack here. What port are you cruising from? From what you've written I'm going to assume Cape Liberty in New Jersey, but the area also has the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. MCT is essentially adjacent to Broadway/Times Square. Cape Liberty isn't far but will require either a train into Manhattan or an Uber ride.

There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port.

This is what makes me assume it's Cape Liberty. There are quite a few hotels near Newark Airport from all brands for all budgets. If you do come in a day before you might also want to consider looking at the Doubletree Newark Penn Station-- this is a hotel that's attached to the train station in downtown Newark and will give you very easy access to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. The next morning it would be a short 20 minute Uber to the port. There are not a ton of hotels in Bayonne (which is the town that is adjacent to the port itself). 

As a music teacher I've always wanted to see Broadway, maybe even see a musical there.  

If you do go into Manhattan to see Broadway/Times Square same day heavily discounted tickets are available by waiting in line at TKTS kiosk at 47th and Broadway. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

It’s not far at all from EWR to Broadway. Stay in Secaucus. Get the NJT train into NY Penn Station from Seacacus Junction. It takes less than an hour. Then it’s a quick walk up 7th Ave to your theater. Easy peasy. 

Secaucus junction is 20 minutes from penn station (my young adult kids transfer to/from Secaucus from Delawanna, entire trip is 30 minutes). Secaucus hotels will usually have bus service into port authority.

26 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Secaucus junction is 20 minutes from penn station (my young adult kids transfer to/from Secaucus from Delawanna, entire trip is 30 minutes). Secaucus hotels will usually have bus service into port authority.

Oh even better. Even though the Port Authority is a bit confusing to use if you’re not used to it. Also many more characters hanging around. 

5 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Oh even better. Even though the Port Authority is a bit confusing to use if you’re not used to it. Also many more characters hanging around. 

I would not recommend someone who has never been to NYC before to go to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Not a pleasant place. 

26 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I would not recommend someone who has never been to NYC before to go to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Not a pleasant place. 

My kids have been taking the bus (and train) into manhattan since they were mid teens. It’s a lot better now than when I was a teen in the 80’s. My daughter used to go a lot by herself when she was 16 (boyfriend at fordham in the Bronx so next a subway).