Apex Jan 20 review or "Were the critics correct"?

CruiseRQA

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

CruiseRQA was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just back from the Jan 20 Apex sailing.   Rather than a complete review, I will be a bit more limited and try to address some of the negative commentary about Celebrity that I read on the board in the weeks leading up to our cruise.  We were fortunate enough to be staying in a Sky Suite.   Will be happy to answer any followup questions.

We left our Hilton Gardens in the Danio Beach area about 1030am via Lyft.   There was no problem getting into the port area at that time.   We were dropped off at the Terminal 25 in 15 minutes.   A porter immediately took our luggage and it was just a short walk to the Terminal 25 entrance.  We walked into the Retreat entrance and once our SeaPass was verified on our phones we were directed up to the Retreat waiting area.   After enjoying a pastry and coffee it was time to board.   We dropped off our carryons in our room (not quite yet ready) and went up to the Luminae for lunch.   We were enjoying a wonderful lobster roll about an hour after leaving our hotel.   Have never had an easier embarkation.

Our suite:  typical skysuite.   I think these rooms are well arranged.   A bit bigger than a standard room but not really a big room.   The money you spend for a skysuite is not for the room but for access to the Retreat lounge, sundeck and Luminae.    Regarding electrical outlets.   There are two on the desk within the little phone charging box.  One on the wall side of the bed (at least in our room) but not on the other but my extension cord for my CPAP was easily able to reach my side (the far side) of the bed.

The butler situation.   The head butler immediately came to our room to introduce himself and explain the Retreat and role of the retreat hosts and concierge.  We saw him around just about every day and I am certain that if you needed something the "team" would have gotten it down.   He did help me get onto the internet service but other than that we didn't have any butler requests.  

Drink pricing and availability in the Retreat.   I was never charged for a drink or wine in the various Retreat bars or the Luminae.   We were offered Decoy cab in the Luminae but were not charged anything extra (never saw the price for it on a menu either).   Bourbon selection seemed good in the Retreat lounge with many major brands available.   Scotch?  Not so much.   Dewer's,   JW, Red and Black.  Not much for single malt other than a Glenfiddich (IIRC).  

Food?   Outsanding!   Food quality was great in Luminae.   And the service was better than ever.   We also ate at The Bistro for lunch which, IMO, is an underappreciated gem.   Ate at Eden for dinner one time   Good, not great and overpriced for what we paid on board (something like $80 + added tip + additiional tip (if you so choose).   Given the quality of food and service in the Luminae I would not go to Eden again.   Walked through the OVC at each meal to check it out.  Looked great, had lunch one time and the choices and quality were superb.  

Entertainment:  great variety of musical and other acts.   3 production shows during our 7 night cruise.  They ranged from strange to good in my opinion.   The other 4 nights had a comedian, a Motown group, a music/comedian (Tommy Green Jr - outstanding) and a magician. 

My main complaint was regarding wine.   Almost at every meal I asked for something that was on a very short list and every time they didn't have it and subbed in something else.  I enjoy wine and don't consider myself a wine snob but how hard can it be to have an accurate wine list?   My wife ordered the Opulance Cab in the Luminea (was featured on the menu) and was priced at $25/glass.   Didn't have it but the wine steward said he would substitue something very nice.  He brought a Modesto Cab.   Regarding the ongoing Duckhorn Cab thing, I was served it one night and wasn't charged - didn't see the listed price.

Deboarding?  Piece of cake.  Walked off with our luggage starting at 7:15,  Walked through the terminal using the facial recognition thing and out on the street we were.  Ordered a Lyft and 10 minutes later we were on our way to FLL.   Checked our luggage curbside.  Not much of line at TSA and we were at our SW gate by 820 for a 940 flight. 

That's what comes to mind, will be happy to opine further is so asked.  

Edited by CruiseRQA
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Nice timing. I am too pessimistic to schedule anything that tightly!

Enjoyable review--thanks! A few questions in view of your second sentence: did you book under the prior butler protocol, or after the changes took effect? If you have done Sky Suite before, did you notice (or hear about) any lesser availability of the team than the butlers before? Do you think some of the complaining here on CC was due perhaps to temporary problems caused mostly by the staff transitioning to the new system? 

Glad to hear you got off the ship in a timely manner and made a 9:40 flight.   I have a 10:45 flight and my traveling party is very concerned, I told them we will make it with plenty of time, but they don't seam to believe me, I'm taking a screen shot to prove I'm correct (as usual 😄)   Thanks!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just back from the Jan 20 Apex sailing.   Rather than a complete review, I will be a bit more limited and try to address some of the negative commentary about Celebrity that I read on the board in the weeks leading up to our cruise. 

Thanks for posting.  We were on Ascent about the same time and had great cruises.  😊

Thanks for your review.  It sounds as though you found value in the SS, even though the room is not really the star.  We never saw our head butler on our last SS cruise in October.  I'm very glad for you that you were happy with Luminae, especially since ordering from other venues on E class is a no go.

Overall I view this as a very positive post and should quell some of the fears of those who've read such negativity here of late.  Glad you're back safe and hopefully rested.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Glad to hear you got off the ship in a timely manner and made a 9:40 flight.   I have a 10:45 flight and my traveling party is very concerned, I told them we will make it with plenty of time, but they don't seam to believe me, I'm taking a screen shot to prove I'm correct (as usual 😄)   Thanks!!

Wife and I disembarked Ascent yesterday, we could have easily made a 1045 flight..maybe earlier 

Edited by PTC DAWG

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Wife and I disembarked Ascent yesterday, we could have easily made a 1045 flight..maybe earlier 

Ditto!  But, that does not mean it is always that efficient.  😊

Edited by Texed

We also disembarked yesterday, into Terminal 25, and of course had the same experience.  No customs (I believe this has been gone for a few years), no Immigration check, no Passports.  You simply pause at a facial recognition station, and that's it.  I'm curious as to whether other terminals have this system in place, or is it only at T25 ??  And is it same for a Transatlantic arrival ??

Edited by ijscheer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Nice timing. I am too pessimistic to schedule anything that tightly!

Enjoyable review--thanks! A few questions in view of your second sentence: did you book under the prior butler protocol, or after the changes took effect? If you have done Sky Suite before, did you notice (or hear about) any lesser availability of the team than the butlers before? Do you think some of the complaining here on CC was due perhaps to temporary problems caused mostly by the staff transitioning to the new system? 

I booked my January 2024 cruise in late November 2023.   We have done two previous sky suites both with the previous butler setup.   We are cruisers that really don't have anything for a butler to do.   Previously the butler would always stop by wanting to know what he could do for us.   Well, we unpack ourselves, take our meals in the Luminae, venture out for an afternoon snack.   This cruise the head butler stopped by on day 1 to introduce himself.   He did help me get hooked up to internet.   We saw him around in the hallways and in the Retreat lounge.   We thought the Retreat staff were great and I am very confident that if we did request something "butlercentric" it would have gotten done.  

• Thanks 1