Not going to Venice it's Ravenna instead

b2dave2003

What do I do with a day in Ravenna?  Thought we were going to Venice but not happening, good thing I have already been there.  Ship is porting in Ravenna, what's the best way to spend the day?

What Ravenna is most famous for are the many beautiful and well preserved mosaics.

Many people don't realize that after Rome fell to the barbarians, Ravenna became the de facto Western capital of the empire. At around the same time, the empire was becoming Christianized. These early mosaics are a sort of blend of ancient Roman techniques and themes, and newly imposed/added Christian themes. 

Ravenna is a small city and almost all of the places where you can see these beautiful mosaics (UNESCO listed) are centally located and walkable once you get to Ravenna -- the port is a 25-30 minute ride from the center of town. You can buy a pass that covers the five main sites, though there are several more that are not included.

More info:

https://www.ourescapeclause.com/ravenna-mosaics/

https://www.thecrowdedplanet.com/best-ravenna-mosaics/

Ravenna can also boast Dante's tomb (despite efforts by the Florentines to get back the body of one of the city's most illustrious sons). Dante lived in Ravenna after he was exiled from Florence due to his political beliefs.

There is also a nice archaeological museum with a number of finds from ancient Roman times; the remains of a Roman villa, complete with floor mosaics underneath a church; and many good restaurants, bakeries and coffee shops to tempt you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What Ravenna is most famous for are the many beautiful and well preserved mosaics.

So beautiful and well preserved that some of them go on occasional  touring exhibitions.

We viewed them  in Ravenna when on a land trip to a nearby town, but happened upon some by chance  on another land trip in a temporary exhibition in  N. Cyprus. They are definitely worth viewing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, b2dave2003 said:

What do I do with a day in Ravenna?  Thought we were going to Venice but not happening, good thing I have already been there.  Ship is porting in Ravenna, what's the best way to spend the day?

Which ship, itinerary, and dates are you going to Ravenna?

16 hours ago, b2dave2003 said:

Hello, a long time ago I was in a cruise departing from Athens and arriving in Venice.

Ravenna was the last call before Venice. We did a full DIY and it was great. It is considered the best city to visit mosaics and it worthed a full day there.

Cruise staff told us we could grab a bus from the port to city centre and it was really enough. We walked around the city, had lunch somewhere and returned.

Another option is to visit San Marino but you will need an excursion.

this picture is mine. It has a lot of years

image.thumb.png.41b7f5209eec19e0dcf03ec282d8e6ac.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, CruiserBruce said:

" Best" would depend on your interests, budget, limitations...

History and culture with some walking.  I have a party of 6 so that itself has some limitations within the group.

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Many people don't realize that after Rome fell to the barbarians, Ravenna became the de facto Western capital of the empire. At around the same time, the empire was becoming Christianized. These early mosaics are a sort of blend of ancient Roman techniques and themes, and newly imposed/added Christian themes. 

Ravenna is a small city and almost all of the places where you can see these beautiful mosaics (UNESCO listed) are centally located and walkable once you get to Ravenna -- the port is a 25-30 minute ride from the center of town. You can buy a pass that covers the five main sites, though there are several more that are not included.

More info:

https://www.ourescapeclause.com/ravenna-mosaics/

https://www.thecrowdedplanet.com/best-ravenna-mosaics/

Ravenna can also boast Dante's tomb (despite efforts by the Florentines to get back the body of one of the city's most illustrious sons). Dante lived in Ravenna after he was exiled from Florence due to his political beliefs.

There is also a nice archaeological museum with a number of finds from ancient Roman times; the remains of a Roman villa, complete with floor mosaics underneath a church; and many good restaurants, bakeries and coffee shops to tempt you.

Excellent information--thanks

7 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hello, a long time ago I was in a cruise departing from Athens and arriving in Venice.

Ravenna was the last call before Venice. We did a full DIY and it was great. It is considered the best city to visit mosaics and it worthed a full day there.

Cruise staff told us we could grab a bus from the port to city centre and it was really enough. We walked around the city, had lunch somewhere and returned.

Another option is to visit San Marino but you will need an excursion.

this picture is mine. It has a lot of years

image.thumb.png.41b7f5209eec19e0dcf03ec282d8e6ac.png

I think you sold me--thanks

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

So beautiful and well preserved that some of them go on occasional  touring exhibitions.

We viewed them  in Ravenna when on a land trip to a nearby town, but happened upon some by chance  on another land trip in a temporary exhibition in  N. Cyprus. They are definitely worth viewing.

I think that is what we are going to do--thanks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our NCL app has opened up tours for Ravena and they have a few for Venice.  How far apart are they?  We have two days in Venice post cruise.  Is that enough or should we consider booking one of these?  Also possibly interested in just staying in Ravena, the Murano Glass and Burano Lace tour, World Heritage Site Town of Ferrara, Bologna, and there are a couple wine tasting tours we might enjoy since we are wine lovers.  Anything you would recommend or mark off?