Are there any S class ships with a Retreat sun deck?

CruisinShips

We have only sailed on the Eclipse, and while the service was excellent, and Luminae was very good, the lack of the sundeck and the less than vibrant Michael's Club diminished the benefits of the Retreat for us.

Keep in mind even the S-Class ships with Retreat sun decks are only the sun deck.  They do not have a pool or private bar like the E-Class ships.  They do have waitstaff to get drinks and such but they are walking down to the another bar.  So it's nothing like the E-Class if you are trying to recreate that experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Equinox was supposed to get an improved sun deck during its revolution, but due to having to move the dry dock from the Bahamas to Europe at the last minute, they were unable to do all of the work.

5 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

So what should expect on the Eclipse now.  We got an RS suite. I know the price was horrible but big celebration. 

We were on the Eclipse in October in a CS.  Had a great cruise...Luminae was very good, and the service we had was excellent.  Butler was great, room cleanliness was great.  WiFi was horrible as was the TV channel selection (if that matters to you).  Entertainment was good (although we really didn't attend many shows, what we did see was very good).  The ship does show some signs of age in common areas, but nothing worth complaining about.  The room lacks modern amenities found in new ships.

The only disappointment was the lack of Retreat amenities as I alluded to above.  That's on me, because I didn't really do enough research beforehand.  The lounge (AKA MIchael's Club) was, IMO a bit drab and boring with no snacks or appetizers during happy hour.  We started going to the Martini Bar before dinner after the second night.  Also, the lack of a Retreat sundeck was a big negative as we do like to be outside often and usually book suites to avoid the chair hog issues and have a more mellow experience.

Keep your expectations in check and you should have a great cruise!

3 hours ago, Team Stag said:

Keep in mind even the S-Class ships with Retreat sun decks are only the sun deck.  They do not have a pool or private bar like the E-Class ships.  They do have waitstaff to get drinks and such but they are walking down to the another bar.  So it's nothing like the E-Class if you are trying to recreate that experience.

I believe the Silhouette has a bar on one of the two retreat decks, along with a hot tub. Will find out next month! 

8 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

I believe the Silhouette has a bar on one of the two retreat decks, along with a hot tub. Will find out next month! 

I did not realize they built out space on Deck 15 for second Retreat area on an S-Class ship.  That's the first I've seen of it (I'm normally a Equinox / Reflection - S Class passenger).  Thank you for the information!

Edited by Team Stag

3 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

I did not realize they built out space on Deck 15 for second Retreat area on an S-Class ship.  That's the first I've seen of it (I'm normally a Equinox / Reflection - S Class passenger).  Thank you for the information!

Deck 15 and 16 has the retreat deck area, the hot tub is on deck 15, the bar on 16. 

2 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

That's right.  I just got back from Silhouette.  Stayed in the Retreat.

Will be our first time back on Silhouette since it’s been redone, also will be in the Retreat.  How did you find the retreat deck? Was it very crowded on sea days, hard to find chairs? I’ve read there isn’t much shade either. 

10 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Will be our first time back on Silhouette since it’s been redone, also will be in the Retreat.  How did you find the retreat deck? Was it very crowded on sea days, hard to find chairs? I’ve read there isn’t much shade either. 

We never saw it crowded.  On the one sea day we had, there were more people there then other days, but not crowded.   The nice thing about Silhouette is that there are only about 70 suites on the ship.  Luminae and the Retreat areas were never crowded.   Happy to answer other questions if anyone has them.  Maybe I should start another thread.

Edited by Winemaker_1

Just now, Winemaker_1 said:

We never saw it crowded.  On the one sea day we had, there were more people there than other days, but not crowded.   The nice thing about Silhouette is that there are only about 70 suites on the ship.  Luminae and the Retreat areas were never crowded.   Happy to answer other questions if anyone has them.

Thank you! We’ve sailed Silhouette before in a suite, with Luminae and the old Michaels club. First time back on her with the new “Retreat”  It just seems that if you want to enjoy the pool it’s a long way to go to do it from the retreat deck. One of the reasons we stay onboard in certain ports we’ve been to before is to enjoy the pool area without the crowds. 

7 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Thank you! We’ve sailed Silhouette before in a suite, with Luminae and the old Michaels club. First time back on her with the new “Retreat”  It just seems that if you want to enjoy the pool it’s a long way to go to do it from the retreat deck. One of the reasons we stay onboard in certain ports we’ve been to before is to enjoy the pool area without the crowds. 

You'll have a great time.  The pool area was a mob scene on our sea day.  It did not look like fun to us.  The retreat lounge felt like a different world.  John brought around sticks of fresh fruit and would take you drink order if you desired.  Otherwise, it's a short walk to Victor at the bar.  Never waited for anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1