Mumbai Private Transfer

Joc123

We are booked on Silver Moon Singapore - Mumbai arriving on May 23rd 2024. (Hopefully world events and cruise cancellations will have settled by then)

The booking is port - port which of course, doesn’t include transfers. 
Although in Australia, we use a TA in UK and they quoted 90 pounds per person for transfer from Mumbai cruise terminal to airport.

This seems very expensive.

Has anyone booked an independent transfer with a company you could recommend?

3 hours ago, Joc123 said:

they quoted 90 pounds per person for transfer

For that you could buy the taxi in India😂

You should be able to pick up a taxi at the port and the cost I believe is around £25 (for the journey). One tip for taxis in India - agree the price before getting in.

Thanks for reply.

I wondered about a taxi being available at the port. Our flight is at 11:00am so we will be one of the first off the ship.

Thanks for the tip about agreeing on the fare although I’m never very good at bargaining.

11 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Our flight is at 11:00am

That's not giving much time to get across Mumbai - depending on traffic 9which is never good in Mumbai) you could be talking about the best part of an hour.

11 hours ago, Joc123 said:

I’m never very good at bargaining

It's not a question of bargaining but just establishing how much it will be in advance. I don't know if it is the same at the port as I have not been there, yet, but at a lot of places in India there is a kiosk where you go to arrange your taxi (might just be an "organiser" wandering about). Many of the taxi drivers in India claim not to speak English - but they know enough to try and get you to pay more!

When we were in Mumbai in March last year we booked a tour of Mumbai with a company called Amaze Tours  ( recommended).

As we hadn't arranged transfers to the port we asked if they could do it.My sister also needed to get to the airport later in the day .

They provided a car for us to get from the hotel to the port and my sister from the hotel to the airport .

The charge was roughly 2,500 INR ( for both) and was paid in advance via a payment link.

We tipped the driver on top .

In contrast the Oberoi charged about $100 US for a one way pickup from the airport.

The Oberoi car was super swish but still a huge difference in pricing.

Amaze tours might be able to help although they don't advertise transfers per se.

1 hour ago, Gk9 said:

Amaze tours might be able to help although they don't advertise transfers per se.

Can you share contact details for Amaze Tours please - I’m interested in both a tour and transfers (seperate days)

https://www.amazetours.in/contact-us

We did the whole day Mumbai tour including the Dharavi slum.

They have good reviews on Trip Advisor if you would like to take a look.

Very reasonably priced too.Once booked they send you a payment link via What's App.

They told us in advance the name of the driver and licence number.

There is a driver and a guide with you for the tour.

The guides to the Dharavi slum do actually live there.

Hope you enjoy India and your cruise.

We did.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

We haven't done it on SS since we've only done D-D, but one can typically buy the port > airport transfer separately on the ship on other lines.

Yes, you can book a port to airport transfer through the shore excursions desk. @Joc123 might feel more comfortable booking that as an option.  

Thanks for information - we have often booked transfer through guest services on Seabourn but couldn’t see Silversea offered the same service.

I rang SS Australia and they said no such service was available on board (I don’t find them very helpful).

If it is available, that’s the way we will go but I’m not sure I want to leave to the last minute.

3 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Thanks for information - we have often booked transfer through guest services on Seabourn but couldn’t see Silversea offered the same service.

I rang SS Australia and they said no such service was available on board (I don’t find them very helpful).

If it is available, that’s the way we will go but I’m not sure I want to leave to the last minute.

Definitely available; I’ve booked a few times myself.  Rather than last minute, you can ask immediately after boarding the ship.  You would still have plenty of time until the end of your cruise to book alternative transport online, or just catch a taxi on arrival.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 9:43 PM, Joc123 said:

Thanks for reply.

I wondered about a taxi being available at the port. Our flight is at 11:00am so we will be one of the first off the ship.

Thanks for the tip about agreeing on the fare although I’m never very good at bargaining.

No problem. There'll be LOTS of taxis waiting outside, it's just a matter of bargaining for the best price. Certainly much less than £90/pp.

This is an interesting question...especially since the flights leave Mumbai at all kinds of odd hours 24 hours a day (like 4:30AM). The ship is overnighting on 5/22 and disembarkation is on 5/23. Will they let you depart/check out in the middle of the night before disembarkation time, and will there be taxis there between 1 and 4am? I know Silversea will most likely be able to arrange a private transfer once onboard but I'm sure it will be many times what could be arranged independently. I have been to India and the drivers are very good and very reliable. Not sure if I want to wing it with a taxi.

And while there may be lots of taxis waiting, you don't want to get swarmed which is what can happen....

I am on the cruise disembarking in Mumbai on the 23rd.  I have a flight leaving BOM at 10:10 am and I'm hoping to disembark at 6:00 so that we get to the airport in plenty of time.  Will there be taxis available at that time or should I pre-arrange something?

53 minutes ago, babydrum said:

I am on the cruise disembarking in Mumbai on the 23rd.  I have a flight leaving BOM at 10:10 am and I'm hoping to disembark at 6:00 so that we get to the airport in plenty of time.  Will there be taxis available at that time or should I pre-arrange something?

Are you aware that many European airports require a four hour check in for international flights. Also be prepared for the journey to the airport from the ship can be anything up to an hour

11 minutes ago, david63 said:

Are you aware that many European airports require a four hour check in for international flights. Also be prepared for the journey to the airport from the ship can be anything up to an hour

I wasn't aware of that so we will plan to leave around 5:00 am.  Thanks!

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

But Mumbai is not in Europe is it? 

You may be confusing when checkin counters open rather than when they close which is a lot closer to the flight and can depend on the class you are flying 

https://csmia.adaniairports.com/domestic-departures.aspx#:~:text=The check-in commencement time,airline at departure kerbside signage.

Edited by Stickman1990

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

But Mumbai is not in Europe is it?

True - my mistake - but it does not alter the fact of check in times of many (all?) airlines now print the check in time on your ticket (not a from time, but a check in time)

Hmmm...but here's the question -- does anyone know?

If the ship is docked in Mumbai the night of the 22nd, and you have a flight at 4:30am on the morning of the 23rd, can you disembark at 1am??? Can the ship accommodate that departure time?