Alaska cruises: Ketchikan replaced with... Klawock?

Received notice without explanation that RSS will replace the long-established scheduled port of Ketchikan in 2024 with the brand new and as-yet incomplete port of Klawock, Alaska.   No excursions listed yet.  Probably understandable, as the port has not yet set up a cruise tourist infrastructure.   I hadn't heard of this port of call, so did a little research and posted results in a different forum (link below).    Looking forward to reports once people actually visit Klawock.  Until then, we can only speculate on why an established, historic port with a portfolio of excursions was summarily replaced.

NCL developed new dock in Ketchikan a few years back that is not even in Ketchikan.  Last time we were on Mariner in Alaska stopped at this new dock and it was ridiculously far out of town.  Any change would be welcome versus going again to NCL dock.

• Like 1

We also received e-mail, but in our case Klawock is replacing Wrangell, not Ketchikan.  Considering there are 7 ships in Ketchikan with possibly 11,000 people when we are there I would rather have skipped Ketchikan and went to Wrangell.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mrlevin said:

NCL developed new dock in Ketchikan a few years back that is not even in Ketchikan.  Last time we were on Mariner in Alaska stopped at this new dock and it was ridiculously far out of town.  Any change would be welcome versus going again to NCL dock.

On a shore excursion with Silversea in August, we drove past that dock.  There was a NCL ship there.  The area looked derelict!  We were all astounded!  SO far out of town, nowhere to just go for a stroll.  Anywhere would be better.  At least Regent passengers would have a free shuttle into town.  NCL passengers probably have to pay for the transfer.

13 hours ago, SC Retired Cruiser said:

I received the same email replacing Wrangell with Klawock on our May cruise.  As I remember there was a very bad landslide in Wrangell in November which caused deaths and significant damage to the town.  I was not surprised they changed ports.

Wonder if our May 15-29 cruise will be the first ship to go to Klawock? May 17.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:59 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Wonder if our May 15-29 cruise will be the first ship to go to Klawock? May 17.

There is one earlier port stop in Klawock in May. Oceania. 

• Like 1