going on a virgin cruise from portsmouth UK, whats the best airport to fly into

mrhowell2002

50 minutes ago, mrhowell2002 said:

i want the best option ...should i fly into heathrow or another airport because i want a hotel close to the cruise port??? pls help...thx

If using public transport on landing there are direct trains from Gatwick airport to Portsmouth which might be convenient for you.

• Like 2

None of the international airports used by flights from the USA are close to Portsmouth, so you'll have ground transport to figure out no matter what - but Gatwick is much easier. You probably can't fly direct to LGW from MIA, and will end up connecting in New York, or Madrid, or Lisbon, or Amsterdam ...

Heathrow to Portsmouth (rome2rio.com)

London Gatwick Airport (LGW) to Portsmouth (rome2rio.com)

International flights from the US typically land early morning in the UK, so you'll have lots of time to get to Portsmouth if your plan is to stay in a hotel there the night before your cruise.

3 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

None of the international airports used by flights from the USA are close to Portsmouth, so you'll have ground transport to figure out no matter what - but Gatwick is much easier. You probably can't fly direct to LGW from MIA, and will end up connecting in New York, or Madrid, or Lisbon, or Amsterdam ...

Heathrow to Portsmouth (rome2rio.com)

London Gatwick Airport (LGW) to Portsmouth (rome2rio.com)

International flights from the US typically land early morning in the UK, so you'll have lots of time to get to Portsmouth if your plan is to stay in a hotel there the night before your cruise.

I'm not the original poster, but (American here) could you comment on how difficult it would be for a solo traveler to wrangle luggage around on (trains?) if flying into Gatwick? I also need to figure out how to get to Portsmouth later this year. 

(I'm from some of the various mid-to-large US cities with absolutely wretched public transport options. My train experience is almost nil.) 

• Like 1

One thing to note about using the train is that you'll want to keep an eye on what the rail workers are doing around the time you are going to fly to the UK.  They've had intermittent strikes going on for the past couple of years, but on the positive side they've been pretty good about letting people know when they are going to happen.

The plan my wife and I have is to just fly in to London and stay there a few days (since she's never been there), then take the train to Portsmouth.  "If" there happens to be a strike then, there is also a bus (though the route for this may go up to London and back down if travelling from Gatwick) plus, worst case or for the most comfortable ride, a taxi can be booked from Gatwick or London.

As for luggage on a train, it's been a while but I used to use the train in Chicago to go to the airport and bringing luggage on there was never a big issue, but it all depends on how much you have I suppose.

Edited by Tralfaz1138
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

I'm not the original poster, but (American here) could you comment on how difficult it would be for a solo traveler to wrangle luggage around on (trains?) if flying into Gatwick? I also need to figure out how to get to Portsmouth later this year. 

(I'm from some of the various mid-to-large US cities with absolutely wretched public transport options. My train experience is almost nil.) 

You'll find that platforms are at the same level as the train floor, so there's no climbing up from ground level as you've encountered with many American stations.

It's tough to predict how busy the train will be, worst case scenario is that you're sitting on your case in a corridor area for 90 minutes because the carriages are all full. I haven't traveled on the Gatwick to Pompey service, so I don't know how modern the rolling stock is or how much luggage area there is - though given the route they have to assume people are bringing luggage.

Personally I've almost always had a good response to asking "Excuse me, could you help me ... " with staff working on public transport or in stations. I think people can tell when you approach them assuming they're a decent human and willing to help!

• Like 1

I think if flying in with big suitcases I'd be tempted to fly to Heathrow and get the national express direct to Portsmouth, at least you know the suitcases will be going in the hold of the bus and can pay for additional if you need it.

Edited by Jamesv281117
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jamesv281117 said:

Also national express can take you from Heathrow and drop off at the international port.. 

That's good advice, and flying in to Heathrow opens up many more direct flight options than going to Gatwick.

Looks like the National Express 203 service is the one to use, it will take a bit longer than the train but probably a more relaxed experience.

National Express Route 203, Heathrow Airport to Southsea — National Express Timetables

• Like 1

We are flying into Heathrow, taking the Elizabeth Line into London, and staying there for a few days because it's Pam's first time in the UK. Then we are taking the train from Waterloo Station to Portsmouth the day before we sail and spending the night there.

Thank you both (all) so much for this discussion! Super helpful. I’m just now looking at flights for late September. I’m a huge Anglophile who was afraid of flying until relatively late in life, so this cruise will be my first time over the pond, and I think I’m going to tack on some days at the start for England. (I think I could spent about three months there, honestly.) I had been thinking I would figure out how to get to Portsmouth / Southampton, get a hotel there, and focus on sights in that area. (For example, I’m exactly the kind of tourist who wants to see the Mary Rose.) 

(Unfortunately for me, I can’t get the hang of packing light.)

Edited by AlyssaJames

3 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

Thank you both (all) so much for this discussion! Super helpful. I’m just now looking at flights for late September. I’m a huge Anglophile who was afraid of flying until relatively late in life, so this cruise will be my first time over the pond, and I think I’m going to tack on some days at the start for England. (I think I could spent about three months there, honestly.) I had been thinking I would figure out how to get to Portsmouth / Southampton, get a hotel there, and focus on sights in that area. (For example, I’m exactly the kind of tourist who wants to see the Mary Rose.) 

(Unfortunately for me, I can’t get the hang of packing light.)

I spent my first 27 years in Southampton, so I'm biased, but I think it's a pretty good base for a few days. Easy access to Stonehenge, Winchester, The New Forest (Beaulieu, Buckler's Hard), Tudor House and Garden ... 

London's easy to navigate too, public transport is excellent, and there's almost endless history to explore there. On a work trip 5 years ago I lead colleagues on a pub crawl starting in Greenwich which included a pint in a pub older than the United States 🙂 

Late September is a great time to visit - weather is still nice but the kids are back in school. You'll have a blast no matter what you do.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

I spent my first 27 years in Southampton, so I'm biased, but I think it's a pretty good base for a few days. Easy access to Stonehenge, Winchester, The New Forest (Beaulieu, Buckler's Hard), Tudor House and Garden ... 

London's easy to navigate too, public transport is excellent, and there's almost endless history to explore there. On a work trip 5 years ago I lead colleagues on a pub crawl starting in Greenwich which included a pint in a pub older than the United States 🙂 

Late September is a great time to visit - weather is still nice but the kids are back in school. You'll have a blast no matter what you do.

My last stay in London was a business trip that happened to end up after Princess Diana passed away (the funeral procession went right past our hotel).  So yes, it's been a few decades since I was there.  I figured we'd spend the time in London, then head to Portsmouth the day of embarkation.

However, it seems like there are a few things to do around Portsmouth so I might adjust the plans a little.  Thank you for the information (though I'd need to work out the best way to see some of those places).

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:11 AM, Tralfaz1138 said:

My last stay in London was a business trip that happened to end up after Princess Diana passed away (the funeral procession went right past our hotel).  So yes, it's been a few decades since I was there.  I figured we'd spend the time in London, then head to Portsmouth the day of embarkation.

However, it seems like there are a few things to do around Portsmouth so I might adjust the plans a little.  Thank you for the information (though I'd need to work out the best way to see some of those places).

My wife and I have decided not to complicate our holiday and have substituted our 2 days in London with 3 in Portsmouth (similar cost) and enjoy a less stressful start to our trip. Portsmouth has a lot to offer and we could always hire a car if we wish to go further afield. We fly into Heathrow on the 26th Sept at 15.40 and plan to book a taxi to our hotel in Portsmouth at a similar cost to using public transport to London and then on to Portsmouth. Good luck with your plans

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:27 PM, WanderingBrit said:

Thank you again, I really appreciate it!

Just now, Shrewsbury on Tour said:

Hi,

yes Portsmouth to Barcelona on the 29/09

Cheers

I believe it's off sale currently because they're reviewing Resilient Lady's repositioning due to the problems they've just had having to change course returning from Australia. Think a decision is being made by the end of February on it all.