Looking for advice - Silver Whisper Vista Suite 416 as a single traveler

Annie1972-ret

Hello all, 

I am a first time ocean cruiser looking at the 70 day SS cruise in February 2025 from Singapore to Singapore on Silver Whisper.  The only cabin available is 416 which is in the vista category.  I am looking for advice from past travelers about their experience in this category and if possible cabin 416 (or 418).  It appears very close to the laundry and to have a connecting door (arrow on the deck map) between cabin 418.  

I saw a post from KanadianKate and others from 2013 saying they only select the vista category.  I was hoping to get some advice or hear some experiences that will calm my anxiety about being in the last room available. Also, please share any issues you’ve had with other noise sources, if any. 

I looked at a similar cruise on Reagent (63 day) this fall but it 40,000 more and also one of the last cabins in a higher concierge category.  I think I would prefer to save the money to travel more but also don’t want to be unhappy in a vista.  I am aware I may be too worried 😊

Also, since I’m cruising alone will it be easy or difficult to meet people?  I’m newly retired and in my early 50s.  

Btw, I have been on a river cruise and loved it, however, we were in a larger suite and it was only 11 days. 

Thank-you in advance for your help on this!   I really appreciate your thoughts and time spent responding.

Annie

I cruise solo on SS frequently and would think about going in 416, back in the days before I moved up to verandah cabins. Maybe. You are very far forward and in a connecting cabin so you will get plenty of sea movement and maybe some noise, not from next door if you are lucky, but you will definitely hear the anchor chain go down when at a tender port. Sizewise, the cabin is plenty big enough.

However, I am disturbed that you are considering  a 70 day ocean cruise with only an 11 day river cruise as experience. River and ocean cruising are very different.

When I was considering my first long ocean voyage, I took a shorter cruise first on the same ship to make sure I'd be OK. A thought for you, perhaps?

However, that said, I have cruised most cruise lines and Silversea is IMO by far the best line for solos. Very easy to meet people, plenty to do.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

I have over 500 days as a solo woman on SS and love it! I'm actually boarding the Dawn on Monday, can't wait. 

I started in vista suites which are huge for a solo, but moved up to verandahs when the depredations of menopause meant I feel the need to be able to step out into fresh air every so often. Vistas are the same size that verandah suites are without the verandah, and the service - butlers etc. - is the same for both.

SS has good deals for solos - look at https://www.silversea.com/best-luxury-cruise-deals/single-occupancy-supplements.html which you'll find on the website under 'fares and offers'.

They also have a good deal at the moment, only till end of Feb tho',  - https://www.silversea.com/best-luxury-cruise-deals/reasons-to-sail.html

And, as icing on the cake, IMO SS has the best loyalty award scheme in which you will automatically be enrolled after your first voyage.

3 hours ago, Annie1972-ret said:

Thank-you. I have decided to go with a different shorter cruise and try a veranda suite instead. Your help has been invaluable, Jollyjones. 

Another option is to book a Vista guarantee.  You will often end up in a verandah suite anyway.  A good option for a shorter cruise.

I agree with @jollyjones that Silversea is particularly good for solo travellers.

Hi, I also agree with the solo cruiser assessment.  I always sail solo and feel very welcomed and it is easy to meet other people too.😃 I hope you have a great cruise!

I love the Vista Suites on the Whisper…especially when not sharing a cabin. They are roomy, have less movement, and are on the same level as the Restaurant. Like so many others on their first sailings, my husband and I always took a Vista for starters. Even though one doesn’t have a balcony, the windows in the Vistas are huge.

i agree with the other posters that a shorter cruise is advisable…..just to see for yourself what’s up. I suggest starting with a port intensive voyage as that is the easiest way to connect with other passengers. And play trivia! It’s a blood sport on Silversea and is SO  much fun! My guess is that you are going to love Silversea.  I sure do!

The only problem with a guarantee booking is that you might end up in a very forward cabin, possibly even on a high deck, where you will feel far more motion in rough seas than low and mid-ships which is where I always try and book. 
Since you haven’t done ocean cruising, you may not know how sensitive to ocean motion you are. 
I never book a guarantee and I’d suggest you avoid it until you know better how ocean cruising suits you. A deck 5 cabin well back from the ‘pointy end’ is ideal. And so convenient for the bar.