Silversea Cruise Gratuities

BIN

Hello.

My wife and I have been on sixteen cruises between five different cruise lines. Future Cruise Credits for Silversea that we may be looking to use. We have not yet sailed Silversea. I emailed Silversea directly asking about gratuities. The reply stated that gratuities are included in the fare. We generally tip above and beyond pre-paid gratuities on the other cruise lines. What may be a respectable "above and beyond" gratuity for crew members aboard a Silversea ship? 

Thank you,

John.  

3 hours ago, BIN said:

Hello.

My wife and I have been on sixteen cruises between five different cruise lines. Future Cruise Credits for Silversea that we may be looking to use. We have not yet sailed Silversea. I emailed Silversea directly asking about gratuities. The reply stated that gratuities are included in the fare. We generally tip above and beyond pre-paid gratuities on the other cruise lines. What may be a respectable "above and beyond" gratuity for crew members aboard a Silversea ship? 

Thank you,

John.  

A donation to the crew fund via the customer service desk is a desirable option.

• Like 9

We have  been  cruising with Silverseas  since 2010.  We always donate to  the crew fund  once we found out about this  from the wonderful  DuctTape  and her husband.  ( Both now sadly departed )

So  along with the Crew Fund  ( this provided  extra stuff for ALL the crew  -  especially those you dont see -   those way below decks  keeping everything humming  !!)  we also   tip  our Butler  and Room Attendant.  Anyone  who  makes my bed  and brings my clean  laundry - deserve it  🤩 

If you are cruising  Silversea  you can  afford to  tip  the people cleaning up  after you.

These people SERVING you are away  from their families  for months at a time,  if you can  afford to  cruise SS you can  afford a gratuity  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I come from a country  where tipping IS NOT the norm.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BIN said:

Hello.

Thank you,

John.  

Hi John, as you can see, there are multiple different responses. I have had people ask me on board if I tip extra and how much......in my opinion, this is a very personal decision and I would never tell anyone to tip extra and I would never give an amount. That is up to you.

If you are on a ship for (example) a 2 week cruise, just use your own judgement if you want to give extra $ and how much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, all. We do tip above and beyond but most of our cruises have been on Royal Caribbean or Carnival and not as "high caliber" as Silversea. This would be our retirement gift to each other and I would not want to seem unappreciative to the crew. We are not wealthy and we are not living paycheck to paycheck. We would just want to splurge a little. 

After many many voyages with another luxury cruise line my wife and I are will be trying Silverseas, if anyone wants to message me with advice on, tipping, dining options, excursions, ships and more... it would be greatly appreciated chatting. Thank You

-Mauro

Edited by marlboroman

Messaging is not permitted on Cruise Critic.

I suggest you use the Search function within this Silversea board and search for each of your topics.

You will find many posts on each of your questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1