Civitavecchia Area

Damo74

Hi folks, we’re arriving there again but we’ve seen Rome a few times in the past and not fussed about going again. Is there much to do in the local area or do you suggest anywhere else to go?

Thanks in advance 

There is not much of note to see and do in Civitavecchia itself, which isn't a very charming town by Italian standards (and mine, lol).

If you don't go into Rome, my vote would be to go to nearby Tarquinia for the day. In addition to being a charming small city in its own right, it has a fabulous museum of ancient Etruscan artifacts as well as the world-famous Etruscan painted tombs in a necropolis (cemetery) just outside the old city walls. The tombs are the real star and shouldn't be missed. There are more than a hundred of them (not all of them open to the public) and they date back as far as 500 BC but are remarkably preserved as you can see from the links below.

You can get to Tarquinia via local bus from Civitavecchia (easier on weekdays), or you could take a taxi and arrange a later pick-up. It's also possible to get there using the train, although a bit more complicated. Finally, there is at least one tour that departs from Civitavecchia -- see link below.

Once you get to the museum, there are charming streets to be walked in one direction, and just outside the museum there is a bus hub where you can catch a short shuttle to the Etruscan tombs. Ask for details in the museum.

Basic info on Tarquinia and transportation: 

https://www.marthasitaly.com/articles/20/tarquinia-etruscan-tombs

Info about Tarquinia and link to a potential guided tour from Civitavecchia:  

https://www.timetravelturtle.com/italy/etruscan-tombs-tarquinia/.  (I have not taken the tour and have no idea how good it may be....)

Detailed info on the painted tombs and a map of the necropolis:  

http://www.travelingintuscany.com/art/art/tarquinianecropolises.htm

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is not much of note to see and do in Civitavecchia itself, which isn't a very charming town by Italian standards (and mine, lol).

If you don't go into Rome, my vote would be to go to nearby Tarquinia for the day. In addition to being a charming small city in its own right, it has a fabulous museum of ancient Etruscan artifacts as well as the world-famous Etruscan painted tombs in a necropolis (cemetery) just outside the old city walls. The tombs are the real star and shouldn't be missed. There are more than a hundred of them (not all of them open to the public) and they date back as far as 500 BC but are remarkably preserved as you can see from the links below.

You can get to Tarquinia via local bus from Civitavecchia (easier on weekdays), or you could take a taxi and arrange a later pick-up. It's also possible to get there using the train, although a bit more complicated. Finally, there is at least one tour that departs from Civitavecchia -- see link below.

Once you get to the museum, there are charming streets to be walked in one direction, and just outside the museum there is a bus hub where you can catch a short shuttle to the Etruscan tombs. Ask for details in the museum.

Basic info on Tarquinia and transportation: 

https://www.marthasitaly.com/articles/20/tarquinia-etruscan-tombs

Info about Tarquinia and link to a potential guided tour from Civitavecchia:  

https://www.timetravelturtle.com/italy/etruscan-tombs-tarquinia/.  (I have not taken the tour and have no idea how good it may be....)

Detailed info on the painted tombs and a map of the necropolis:  

http://www.travelingintuscany.com/art/art/tarquinianecropolises.htm

Good advice, I agree.  On our last cruise out of Civitavecchia we spent three nights in Tarquinia.  It's a medieval, hilltop town.  Lots of atmosphere, very attractive we find.  The ride to the port was only 20 minutes.

• Like 1

We are flying into Rome and staying in Rome a few days before the cruise. Is it necessary to get to the port and spend the night there  the day before departure or will we have plenty of time to get to the port the same day? 

There is no reason to relocate to Civitavecchia the night before boarding, you'll have plenty of time to get there from Rome.  In fact, you have enough time to see something in Rome in the morning before departing for the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

We are flying into Rome and staying in Rome a few days before the cruise. Is it necessary to get to the port and spend the night there  the day before departure or will we have plenty of time to get to the port the same day? 

Agree...absolutely no reason to leave Rome until the day you board. Its less than 90 minutes to the port.

• Like 1

Also, so many people book their car service for an early morning departure to the port just to sit and wait to get on the ship.  With just a few days in Rome I highly recommend spending as much time there as possible.  It's very easy to do one last early morning tour or walk, head back to hotel to collect luggage, and finally meet my driver around noon.    

• Like 2