Solo and Booking Connections

Jaynay

I am planning my first SOLO and first 2 TA, with the TA's being 4 days apart. Husband can't handle so many sea days without going stir crazy.

I've always done all the cruise planning for us, so I'm used to that.  I'm very used to the cruise line and the departing and returning port (Port Canaveral). The people on the Roll Calls seem very friendly, experienced TA folks and many already know each other.

The only thing keeping me from clicking the Book Cruise button are the connections from one TA to the other.  I will be sailing to Lisbon, hotel, fly to Barcelona, hotel, then sail back home.  Doing this with my husband is one thing if I get rattled, but by myself????

Any tips to make the anxiety go away when doing this (all the connections) solo?

Book easy connections or prearranged transport. Don’t try to do everything I personally would suggest taking a ship transfer to the airport in Lisbon. Give yourself enough time to not stress about making your flight. Book a direct flight. Then get yourself a great hotel in Barcelona and enjoy the city. 

Have a plan. Keep it simple. Make sure you’re not carrying too many pieces of luggage. Enjoy an amazing trip.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, dahirsh said:

not what you asked for, but tell me more.  Ships? dates?

Depart Adventure of the Seas, Oct 25 2024 Lisbon

Return Voyager of the Seas, Nov 10 Barcelona

I went ahead and booked the flight via TAP, direct flight.

Do you (we) solos have a harder time booking transport (uber) etc.? Do you find that transports take advantage of you pricewise traveling solo?

On 2/5/2024 at 10:19 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Book easy connections or prearranged transport. Don’t try to do everything I personally would suggest taking a ship transfer to the airport in Lisbon. Give yourself enough time to not stress about making your flight. Book a direct flight. Then get yourself a great hotel in Barcelona and enjoy the city. 

Have a plan. Keep it simple. Make sure you’re not carrying too many pieces of luggage. Enjoy an amazing trip.

Thanks for the hints!  

15 hours ago, Jaynay said:

Do you (we) solos have a harder time booking transport (uber) etc.? Do you find that transports take advantage of you pricewise traveling solo?

I've had an easy time booking with Lyft whenever I've tried to.  Some of the rates I've had to pay were... up there, let's say, but not because I was solo.  And I don't think anyone took advantage of me because I was solo either with Lyft or when I took regular taxis.

Then again... one time, in Barbados, some years ago.  I wanted to go somewhere off the normal tourist track.  I was asked to wait for a taxi and stuffed with another couple that was going somewhere else but "on the way" to where I was heading.  No discounts and no apologies for me.  I was not amused. 🤬

• Like 1

Depends where I am going and sailing from and my comfort zone for different places. If I am taking a  cruise to a new place and don't know how easy or hard the logistics are then I book my transport and many times my hotel through the cruise line. If I am flying somewhere I know very well I handle it myself. 

As to the concept of handling things on your own? I have been sailing solo for 20+ years so for me, it is no big deal. I pack one checked bag and 1 carry on for every cruise.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I always travel solo, and I've never had an issue booking transport. Definitely book through the cruise line if you're unsure about an area - paying for that convenience and ease of mind can absolutely be worth it.

Also, when you're travelling solo, the cost advantage of booking a taxi on your own is often much less. I took the hotel shuttle to the port at the start of my last cruise. For a couple travelling together, it would cost more than getting a cab, but for a solo traveller, it was cheaper.

I also second bringing only what baggage you can easily manage on your own. Except for this last trip (which was 16 nights long, and required a lot of extra cruft), I only bring a checked rollie bag and a carry-on-sized backpack (Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45), plus my purse. This last trip had two checked rollie bags, the Tom Bihn, and my purse, and it was a bit of a hassle to manage. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've traveled alone for 25 years. All over the world - Africa, Asia, Mexico, Europe, etc. I've even used public transport. You should have no issue in either place. You can use the cruise transfers. Suntransfer is a company I've used that was reasonable and good. Booking.com is a great site for booking hotels. The subway in Barcelona is easy to use and get around the city. There are some lovely day tours out of the city to Girona or the Costa Brava. You can go see flamenco at night, too. 

• Like 1

Lisbon and Barcelona are both very transportation friendly.  I have not had the chance to go from one city to another during my travel solo, but I usually stay about 2 nights in the city before or after cruise (usually before).  I look for tours thru viator, book lodging thru hotels or booking .com, look thru some guide books to get some ideas.  Barcelona, I did all of my own exploring (booked tickets to Sagrada on line before hand), took the train out of town to the Monastery, walked around all over.

Lisbon, took a walking tour, enjoyed it so much, booked another one with the guide.  Ate at local cafes, walked and explored.

Rome, booked an e bike tour at night (What a BLAST), explored St Angelo, etc.

As long as you stay aware of your surroundings, do a little research, and enjoy the moment, you should be fine.

Stay a night or two in one location, then fly to the other, stay a night or two there.  Look for the little B & B, or boutique, small hotels, versus the large chains. 

• Like 1

Tony & Jenny Barnett from the You Tube channel La Lido Loca are doing almost the exact same itinerary. Might be the same sailings, I'm not sure, but you should check them out. They also have a Facebook page I think.

Anyway, I second the idea about keeping it simple whenever possible and taking the least amount of luggage possible. If you can manage with only a carry on and a backpack that would be ideal. You can get laundry done on the ships. Seriously, the few times I have taken too much luggage I always regretted it. Like last year when I went to France solo. I rented a car, but the place I had to pick up the car was down the street, and in a car parkade. Had to negotiate cobblestones, curbs, steps, etc. Not fun. Wrecked a wheel on my suitcase.

Make sure your phone plan will work over there for Uber. Have a great time!

• Like 1

Trip advisor has cheaper tours than Viator. Also just Google Lisbon day tours and Barcelona day tours. If you like walkIng, Google free walking tours for each city. See if your phone can get an esim. That may be the cheapest way to solve the phone issue as you may only need actual phone use for a week and you can get by with data the rest of the time. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 3:39 PM, Jaynay said:

I don't think so, but I'm not sure I'd know.......I just do what I need to do to get where I want to go. 

Give yourself lots of time, and if you are concerned about getting ripped off by local transport, you can always book a driver service for a pre-arranged price. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the valuable insight.  Baggage/Packing is going to be interesting since it will be a 32 day trip and no washing machines on Royal Caribbean ships. They do provide laundry services but I have heard that it is very hard on clothing, often called the Boil and Fry 😝 And I plan on work out clothing, too, but that is normally very light and washable in the sink. Gotta keep the packing minimal so I can handle all the baggage handling between ships/hotels/airports...