Question Regarding Multi city Flight on american

We booked a Multi city flight with an overnight layover in Miami going and returning home. Can we request our luggage be sent to Miami and recheck the next day to Barbados or does it have to be checked all the way to Barbados? Never had a multi city flight with an overnight layover.

from the AA flyer talk forums:

" If you are landing in MIA in the PM, have a hotel for the night, and departing to Barbados the next morning - yes, you can short check. Need to confirm with the ticket agent at your departure point.

If it is a red-eye into MIA to arrive early AM, you have a standard connection, and then departing shortly there after to Barbados - no you wont be able to short check."

3 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

from the AA flyer talk forums:

" If you are landing in MIA in the PM, have a hotel for the night, and departing to Barbados the next morning - yes, you can short check. Need to confirm with the ticket agent at your departure point.

If it is a red-eye into MIA to arrive early AM, you have a standard connection, and then departing shortly there after to Barbados - no you wont be able to short check."

You can short check, but do you have to? I would think you could do either. We've done this going to HI in the past, where we've stayed overnight near LAX before our morning flight out the next day. But that was long ago, when we used to check bags. 

Edited by GMIAC

31 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

You can short check, but do you have to? I would think you could do either. We've done this going to HI in the past, where we've stayed overnight near LAX before our morning flight out the next day. But that was long ago, when we used to check bags. 

I think OP intended to short check it so they should be able to.

3 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

We are in Miami for 17 plus hours

staying at the airport

does short check mean you still go pick up in baggage claim

yes stands for "check short of final destination."  

On 2/7/2024 at 8:59 AM, jhenry1 said:

We booked a Multi city flight with an overnight layover in Miami going and returning home. Can we request our luggage be sent to Miami and recheck the next day to Barbados or does it have to be checked all the way to Barbados? Never had a multi city flight with an overnight layover.

I believe the only way you can check your luggage all the way through is if the flight is sold as a published connecting flight.  Example, we are going Atlanta-Hong Kong as a single ticket so even though we have a 13 hour layover in SFO, I believe (haven't done it yet) that the luggage will be check all the way to Hong Kong.  If you are on 2 separate bookings (not sold as a single connecting flight), one to Miami, another the next day to Barbados, then likely your luggage will have to be claimed and checked the next day.  Also on the return leg, you will have to claim luggage to clear customs and recheck either way (unless you clear customs in Barbados).  BUT, make absolutely sure you know when you check in for your flights and double check your luggage tags to verify the destination printed.  It would not be good to assume your luggage is checked all the way through only to have it sitting in Miami.  

The current layover cutoff for checking through baggage on AA is 16.5 hrs.  Anything over that and you have to claim your baggage before the lengthy layover.

Assuming AA follows their own policy, in OP's case the baggage will be only be checked to MIA. OP will need to recheck baggage before the flight to BGI.

Edited by alexandria

• 2 weeks later...

So we have these multi city flights with an overnight in Miami and American is wanting to check us in for our flights tomorrow but  I am concerned if I check in it is from Austin to Barbados and we are spending the night at the Miami airport. Should I just wait until tomorrow to check in at the airport and only check our bags to Miami and then the next go checkin again for the flight to Barbados.